Thread: UNite dont rout

Default UNite dont rout

i dont know it's the mode or the late SG2 patch unit dont rout at all bunch of peasant fighting to the death acually making it dead boring. i mean it's like c&C or star craft, the best unit wins.
    i've try changing morals etc but dont seems to have much effect to it. i suspect it's the fight to the death radius or something. unit seems to rout lest when i flank them from the back. cos normally unit rout when i out flank them when they are half their size but it's not happening no more. or 20 or so ash yari locking down 200 of my sumari is just ridiculous
    any one have the same problem?

cos i recently reinstall the game due to steam up and every thing seem out of place.
    Last edited by jetlee81; July 22, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Mr Kami's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: UNite dont rout

Well in DarthMod battles are longer and units are alot harder to route.
    If you dont enjoy it then dont use the mod because this is how it is built.

well iplay darth befor since rome i think. but this is the hardest in terms of trying to routing a unit. i did some test flancking will only make enermies fight to the death. especially when units stuckk in a brawl they will fight to 10% remaining befor theythey waver. and unite that are not ingaged in a brawl say a standing till ash yari under missile firewill be more likly to rout when it lost only 10% men

As an attacker in a siege against AI defending, non of the AI units rout. Every man must be killed. 1/200 units will remain and keep fighting until the last man of the unit is dead. Is this normal for defenders in sieges?

I routinely route units. Usually a cavalry charge from the flank or rear is sufficient to break ashigaru morale. Samurai are a lot harder to route, and usually only break when things really don't go their way, but that's expected. If the pace of the battle is too slow for your tastes, speed the time factor up until something interesting happens, then slow down and adjust accordingly.

Cavalry shock tactics during sieges are particularly fun. Deploy 3-4 units of Yari or Katana cavalry outside of the castle at the start of the fight, and defeat attackers in detail as they approach the castle (This usually works as the AI disperses on deployment in order to hit the castle from multiple directions). After the initial charge, I force the cavalry to push through the infantry unit they are fighting if they hadn't already broken. Usually this is sufficient to break the infantry, and allows you to reform on the far side of the charge for repeat charges.

So far I just autocalc assaults since the AI (sadly) does a better job than I do.
    Last edited by Tegumiril; July 24, 2011 at 04:10 AM.

Assaulting castles is a sure way to lose a lot of troops. But although it may not seem like it, flanking still works... you just need to go for different entry points. You won't rout the enemy, but you will kill them much faster this way. Once all defenders are tied up in combat you can come up behind them or simply go for the flag. The latter will usually change hands long before any defending units are destroyed, saving many of your men's lives. Of course this requires you to outnumber the enemy at least a little bit. But if you are the attacker that should go without saying.

And have you considered siege weapons? If you trash the enemy's towers, you can take your time emptying your archers'quivers into the hapless defenders. A few mangonels firing into the crowd early in the battle can also help thin the ranks quite significantly.

The key is to think of sieges as following a different set of rules to field battles. I like playing Takeda, and my usual cavalry army is no good except for crushing sallies. I have a small stack of archers and siege weapons that joins my infantry just for sieges. If you are properly prepared, it is much more satisfying than the chore you would face with a field army. It is only early in the game that my generals and other cavalry need to dismount to help out.

Davius's Avatar Senator

I did notice that I surrounded an Ashigaru with Ashigaru, Samuri then charged them with No Dachi. The Ashigaru were 100% surrounded and engaged and wavering for a long time. It did seem a little much but I will continue to observe future battles.

(2.7)

Semisalis

Yesterday I had my Great Guard assassinate the enemy general at the start of the battle, then I retreated with these behind my main army line. It had 4 samurai archers who managed to route the entire enemy army before anything got into melee Sure the enemy army was entirely ashigaru, but Oda ashigaru at least. Also the projectile boost was off.

MJWilliams's Avatar Tiro

Had no trouble routing units on an open field, assuming I'm allowed to keep a solid line, flank effectively and conditions/terrain are to my choosing. That is all part of warfare and as mentioned above DarthMod makes battles longer and more interesting because you can't smash a line of infantry within seconds as you can in vanilla.

As for the siege attack battles, enemy troops are encouraged inside their fort, and with a decent general or two around it's pretty much (and I think realistically) a fight to the death if you just hurl your men at one gate/wall. If able to outflank the defenders, and either reach or snipe their general(s) I've found they break just as intended.

Semisalis

I just wish they would route towards the castle center as in previous TW games instead of to the edges of the map