Thread: editing files and now i cannot play savegame

Default editing files and now i cannot play savegame

Basically what i did was edit a few of the files in the patch6.pack file. For the past few weeks i have been playing a game as the chosokabe using that edited file with no problems. Just yesterday, i was unable to load that save file. This happened to me once before and i really haven't noticed any correlation, but i suspect it may be something to do with steam's genius idea not to let you stop the game from automatically updating. i have tried validating the integrity a few times and that didn't work, along with replacing the file with the edited one. I delete the patch7.pack file and i didn't have any issues so i know that isn't the problem either. Now, whenever i try and load up that save-game, it always crashes. The quicksave and autosave that i have in that same campaign do not work either

Big Brother/King Kong is watching.

ATTORNEY: Can you describe the individual?
    WITNESS: He was about medium height and had a beard.
    ATTORNEY: Was this a male or a female?
    WITNESS: Guess.

Default Re: editing files and now i cannot play savegame

Sounds like the kind of symptom you get when you've used a mod which added stuff, played, saved, and then removed the mod which added stuff (not just changed existing stuff).

In this case there can be no recovery.

If you add something in a mod, generally, you can play from a previous save with the new additions. But if you play and save with new additions, and then remove them, your 'played with additions' save will no longer work.

no i didn't change anything in the middle: i edited the files, reloaded that same save-game multiple times over the course of the past few weeks, and then all of a sudden one time i cannot load it, just crashes upon loading.

I have the crash reports, but i do not know how to open/use MDMP files, so im not sure if they would be of any help. is there a crash log somewhere that i can look at to see at what point it is crashing?
    Last edited by muffinhead; July 21, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

This is why you dont modify game files. Delete patch 6 & 7 reverify, then make your mods using modpacks.

i just haven't had too much luck with modpacks, so i usually just edit the patch packs