Thread: so which HOI game should i get?

Default so which HOI game should i get?

ok, so i have decided to try and start playing the HOI series of games. The whole game concept intrigues me, and there are several alt history scenarios i have in my mind that i would like to try and play out. Anyways i tried the HOI 2 demo, and well that was a worthless piece of ****. That demo in no way at all helped me decide if i would buy that game, and whoever made it is a tard, but thats off topic. I also tried the HOI 3 demo, and it confirmed my fear, HOI 3 will NOT work on my pc for crap, so im limited to older HOI games.

Anyways i cant decide which one i should pick up. I really like the idea of darkest hour, because i can start back during WW1. However i read someplace on the paradox forum that darkest hour doesnt support casualty statistics and thats a major turn off for me. I guess however i would still be willing to pick darkest hour up if otherwise its the best in the series. The other game i am looking at is Arsenal of Democracy and it looks like it would be good, i just wish it had an earlier start date in it.

Anyways long story short which hearts of iron game (except 3) should i buy?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Default Re: so which HOI game should i get?

Whatever game mechanics you think you want - forget it. If you have never played a HoI2 game you have no idea what any of the expansions do.

Buy arsenal of democracy, it's the best HoI2 game. DH looks like garbage to me, but hey if you want to play WW1 (the scenario ends in 1922, btw) above anything else, buy that.

PS. The game is basically like the demo. You need to spend hours learning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    Whatever game mechanics you think you want - forget it. If you have never played a HoI2 game you have no idea what any of the expansions do.

Buy arsenal of democracy, it's the best HoI2 game. DH looks like garbage to me, but hey if you want to play WW1 (the scenario ends in 1922, btw) above anything else, buy that.

PS. The game is basically like the demo. You need to spend hours learning the game.
    dang that sucks about the ww1 scenario ending in 1922, thanks for the heads up about that.

yeah i think i will most likely get arsenal of democracy.

oh and btw, what i hated about the demo was it threw me into a large scale battle when i first started and i had no idea what to do. The hoi 3 demo was much better, but it killed my pc so i had to stop playing it.

just out of curiosity what would be the best place to buy Arsenal of Democracy from? I would like to avoid steam if all possible.
    Last edited by Templar Knight; July 20, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Icon7 Re: so which HOI game should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    dang that sucks about the ww1 scenario ending in 1922, thanks for the heads up about that.

yeah i think i will most likely get arsenal of democracy.

oh and btw, what i hated about the demo was it threw me into a large scale battle when i first started and i had no idea what to do. The hoi 3 demo was much better, but it killed my pc so i had to stop playing it.

just out of curiosity what would be the best place to buy Arsenal of Democracy from? I would like to avoid steam if all possible.
    Hi Templar Knight,
    If you have an older PC, you should go then maybe for DH, as they opted the code much more and the game runs much faster.. New map and also are willing to add new features. Have decsions already etc..
    I think the speed gain might be the biggest plus for you then.
    For AoD there is already the CORE Mod ported and gives a much better gameplay. Is all a matter of "taste", I guess..

Also HOI3 with the newest Add-on is way faster then the demo!. It has finally Mulitcore support.(But I guess you have singel core system?) I can play HOI3 on my old Notebook single core 1.7Ghz with ATI 128MB Graphis Card..Slowly but ongoing.)

And I recommend for all Paradox titles gamersgate, as that is the former company from Paradox... They also have salesdays and you can get upt to 75% off there too sometimes..

Best regards,
    Chromos

Coal143's Avatar Miles
    The Royal Kingdom of Occitania-Aragon-Sicily

Disregard this crap, DH allows you to play BOTH WW1 AND WW2 and is by far the best Hoi game out there.

What's wrong with HOI3?

The new, smaller provinces give you an excellent level of tactical maneuvering. Micromanaging the battlefield is very exciting that way.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by RangerPL View Post
    What's wrong with HOI3?

The new, smaller provinces give you an excellent level of tactical maneuvering. Micromanaging the battlefield is very exciting that way.
    He said it won't work on his computer. I tried the older ones, but having played HOI3 the provinces in the older games are just way too big for my taste.

another quick question. so i decided to buy Arsenal of Democracy, however i am not sure which distributor i should buy the game from. I want to buy the game with out having to download steam or other such programs i want to use my debit card not paypal, so which distributor should i buy from?

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

I would say get Darkest Hour. Darkest Hour is probably the best HoI2 type experience you will get. And it seems that most modders have seem to have put their weight behind Darkest Hour.

I would choose Darkest Hour over HoI 3 even.

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    I would say get Darkest Hour. Darkest Hour is probably the best HoI2 type experience you will get. And it seems that most modders have seem to have put their weight behind Darkest Hour.

I would choose Darkest Hour over HoI 3 even.

i came really close to getting darkest hour, but then i read some bad reviews about it and i found out that it doesn't have a casualty statistic feacter like AOD has and in my mind that is a really huge flaw since i am interested in such things. lol

anyways that still doesnt answer my question about which retailer i should buy AOD from excluding STEAM since i dont want it, or a similar program installed on my computer.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

You could use Gamersgate. PI tends to favor that supplier despite getting most of its sales from Steam, since the free games they hand out to active forum members are through Gamersgate. With Gamersgate, to get the actual game you first download an installer program that then downloads everything and installs it for you and does nothing else, so you can delete the installer once you're done with it.

prdude1234's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    another quick question. so i decided to buy Arsenal of Democracy, however i am not sure which distributor i should buy the game from. I want to buy the game with out having to download steam or other such programs i want to use my debit card not paypal, so which distributor should i buy from?
    Check Amazon, they usually have the games you are looking at good prices.
    A proud Latin

Un Puertorriqueño orgullozo!
    A proud Puertorican here!

Gamertag: prdude123

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

gamersgate has the most payment options and doesn't install any third party software on your computer.