Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ager Romanus - Large Map Submod for Darthmod 8.1(Released 09Feb)

Default Re: Ager Romanus - Large Map Submod for Darthmod 8.1(Released 09Feb)

Some minor bugs (not critical).
    Stables and archery ranges did not presented in city building broser scroll.
    Amulius Brutus have (in descr_strat) excluded (for romans) anch: doctor.

Spies, IMHO, overpovered. Scipii spy Ovidius (3 eyes) has 100% chance infiltrate any enemy city. Seleucid spy (2 eyes) -93%.

Campaign is smooth. No any CTDs

jamiemgr:
    In new patch Brutii has one archer unit at the start.

Some minor bugs (not critical).
    Stables and archery ranges did not presented in city building broser scroll.
    Amulius Brutus have (in descr_strat) excluded (for romans) anch: doctor.

Spies, IMHO, overpovered. Scipii spy Ovidius (3 eyes) has 100% chance infiltrate any enemy city. Seleucid spy (2 eyes) -93%.

Campaign is smooth. No any CTDs

jamiemgr:
    In new patch Brutii has one archer unit at the start.
    all roman factions start with an archer unit, you can't recruit any though
    Anyway, it doesn't matter too much. I've modified the "Export_descr_buildings" file to my personal preference and added the archers to the recruitment list.

No CTD's, all running very smooth for me also.
    Last edited by GreenKing; February 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

all roman factions start with an archer unit, you can't recruit any though
    Anyway, it doesn't matter too much. I've modified the "Export_descr_buildings" file to my personal preference and added the archers to the recruitment list.
    Ok. I can do the same. Not necessary now. We can train auxilia archers; enough for me. Maybe, it was provided by Revier? For example, in RTR Romans can not recruit archers, only velites etc.
    Waiting for explain...

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey silenceX1, the game is designed to have many family leaders so that the faction is not killed off too early. We have all most likely had a battle where 3 generals have died, or a siege where we have lost the town and several generals. Instead of packing them off in ships to die, why not just charge them at an enemy and at least take some out. I'm against reducing family members as this reduces the chance of good leaders for the future.

First battles - mostly sieges, and this "skyrim dragons" almost useless in streets.
    Siege battles are very common throughout history and in this mod and in total war games they too are common, I'm not sure what skyrim dragons are though?

You're English is better tha a lot of native english speakers in my town

jamiemgr...Roman Archers were not recruited into the Roman Army or Legions as citizens, but instead as auxillaries in the provinces. As silenceX1 mentions another mod (and probably others) replicate this by only allowing Romans to recruit velites in latinum. The EDB allows you to recruit archer units after building the auxillary barracks that have the following hidden resources:

recruit "roman light infantry auxillia" 1 requires factions { roman, } and hidden_resource dacia
    recruit "roman archer auxillia" 1 requires factions { roman, } and hidden_resource roman
    recruit "Roman Slingers" 1 requires factions { roman, } and hidden_resource britain
    recruit "roman archer" 3 requires factions { roman, } and hidden_resource iberia
    recruit "auxilia archer" 1 requires factions { roman, } and hidden_resource syria

Also I fixed the starting units of the Roman factions in the patch as I wasn't convinced by the lack of depth in the beginning armies.

silenceXI....About the spies, although this seems unbalanced, a spy, your starting spy should at least be a good spy at his trade. Spies traits are also counterbalanced by certain traits of generals ans other faction spies in whatever settlement. BTW, A. Brutus seems to be fine, is he not?

ok then, didn't realize. makes sense.

I'm not one for historical accuracy though.

If you were going for historical accuracy, you wouldn't have the divided roman factions would you?

Thank you, Revier, for answer.
    We have all most likely had a battle where 3 generals have died, or a siege where we have lost the town and several generals.
    I am disagree. Usially result of crude mistake in planning. Not all most likely. And if this happens, rtw-engine quickly reinforce leaders pool. I lost state by this path only once. Not in RTW, in MTW-1.
    what skyrim dragons are though?
    generals bоdyguards
    Roman Archers were not recruited into the Roman Army or Legions as citizens, but instead as auxillaries in the provinces.
    I am completely agree.
    I fixed the starting units of the Roman factions in the patch as I wasn't convinced by the lack of depth in the beginning armies.
    Your last fix is fine!
    A. Brutus seems to be fine, is he not?
    As graduating senior of Plato academy. An yesterday my Pauluna found new husband - military genius of 23 years old
    And one another thing. Many years ago I ported early version WebbirdsEU270-map to Dart Vader mod; my aim was to reduce provinces number on East, and play as Seleucid normally; I like them, but I hate 25+ provs start for them in all mods. Now, I see, you did almost the same. I am glad ti see it

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemgr View Post
    ok then, didn't realize. makes sense.

I'm not one for historical accuracy though.

If you were going for historical accuracy, you wouldn't have the divided roman factions would you?
    No you are quite right, it's just a blend of historical accuracy and gameplay. I quite like the concept of different Roman families operating different provinces under the SPQR banner, with the possibilty of civil war breaking out when one becomed more powerful than the other.

Fair enough. Thats the reason why i chose this mod over all the other mods. Because they all try to be too historically accurate and it ruins gameplay.

In my latest campaign I've surrounded all the roman factions by controlling all the land surrounding them, so they have ventured into north Africa,
    the only way they could go. Looking forward to destroying them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    No you are quite right, it's just a blend of historical accuracy and gameplay. I quite like the concept of different Roman families operating different provinces under the SPQR banner, with the possibilty of civil war breaking out when one becomed more powerful than the other.
    Quite enough mods with unified Rome!!! Deleting senate and roman factions, we wipe meaning of influence, senate tasks and appointments, in a result game become boring kind of arcade. Instead modders screw on 4 turns per year, 0 turn hiring and another doubtful whistles

yea, 0 turn recruitment sucks.

I kind of like 4 turns per year, at least your generals last a bit longer. I find they die of old age too quick a lot of the time.
    Which makes training them up all that time through battle after battle a complete waste.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by silenceX1 View Post
    Quite enough mods with unified Rome!!! Deleting senate and roman factions, we wipe meaning of influence, senate tasks and appointments, in a result game become boring kind of arcade. Instead modders screw on 4 turns per year, 0 turn hiring and another doubtful whistles
    I agree 100%, you bring up some very good points, not the least of which is gameplay depth with the added features.

jamiemgr
    yea, 0 turn recruitment sucks. I kind of like 4 turns per year, at least your generals last a bit longer. I find they die of old age too quick a lot of the time. Which makes training them up all that time through battle after battle a complete waste.
    I don't like 0 turn recruitment either, as it is an exploit for the human player, st times the game is easy eough without making it more so. I hate it when you spend time developing generals as well, and they die in battle or on a water crossing.

My idea here was not to move too far away from the mod Darth designed, whilst trying to show thaat the original game with a few enhancements could be just as much fun or in depth as some of super historical mods.

Originally Posted by The Border Reiver
    My idea here was not to move too far away from the mod Darth designed.
    I agree 100%. But, I'm afraid, you are already moved too far away.
    I will try to explain, using my current testing campaign.
    City: roman capital Tarentum. What Im see at building and hiring panel?
    Exist: stables (I have builded it early). I can recruit: light cavalry, and reinforce my starting light cavalry unit.
    I can build: stables (?). Allow to hire: Roman citizen light cavalry. Really, the same unit. And,
    I suspect, reinforsing of old light cavalry may be prohibited. The same thing with velites and archers. My opinion is recruit system in Italy some intricated and involved.
    Numbered legions can be reinforced only in one city, and their operation range very limited, they demands advanced logistic system. Ok, I will come apart
    But are you sure AI is know, what to do with this? Im not. This may be fundamental ploblem and cause of strategical passivity of Roman factions, as it reported here. Im suspect, 12 legions - not for three-romans-factions mods. I remember not much mods with three factions, all they are old and not use named legions system; relatively new - custom mod for RTR (it seems abandoned by author, however, very asked-for by some intelligent community); and it not use named legions also. It seems to me, best way was add to your update of Dart Waders mod RTRs AOR and assimilation system, and stop. Best is the enemy of good.

About gameplay. Very good time-cost balance in building section. Maybe, ideal.
    About units. IMHO, hiring price of cavalry is not serious. It have to be much more expensive, something about 800-1000credits.
    Hiring generals in academy looking for me is doubtful idea. I think, it is kind of cheap popular things. It is one of ways to ruin gameplay. Im not undestand, why you so often tell about losing generals.
    Let to player, which instantly losing them, be lasy and kill oneself.
    And, cost of upkeep bodyguards 100cr, against 190 of light cavalry case of doubt as well.

About AI. I spend in game 12 years (24 turns). I have 4 cities in South Italy and 2 in Epirus.
    But, two other factons do nothing. Julii do not try to take Ariminum.
    Im not interested in quck expansion on Balcans. So, next aim - Sycilia.
    And then, Scipii will be downed with any chance in future.
    Simple and quick decision is make 3 descr_strats for 3 roman campaigns and one for playing others.

Thank you for lost time readig this speech. I'm greatly impressed by ideas of Ager Romanus.
    Im happy be mistaken in my fears.

I quite like the legio system, allows you to recruit cheap units for defensive purposes.

Update of my previous post.
    Exist: stables (I have builded it early). I can recruit: light cavalry, and reinforce my starting light cavalry unit.
    I can build: stables (?). Allow to hire: Roman citizen light cavalry. Really, the same unit. And,
    I suspect, reinforsing of old light cavalry may be prohibited. The same thing with velites and archers.
    I was wrong, sorry. After contructing new "stables" light cavalry reinforced successfully. Old velites in new archery range too. Probably, some problems in export_units.txt

Update to buglist. After I took Rhegium, I found out there already built "Roman citizenship", and avaliable to build "Roman colonisation"; this may be incorrect.

Please no offense to my critical posts. I try, whatever criticism was constructive and useful

Update to buglist
    Two stables and two practice ranges in building panel. One pair of them do nothing. I failed make screensave, so, I'm send save. Look Apollonia.

I get this but its because i made stupid changes to my Export_descr_buildings file.
    I've just tried it back with the original files, I don't have this problem.
    Last edited by GreenKing; March 01, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemgr View Post
    I get this but its because i made stupid changes to my Export_descr_buildings file.
    I've just tried it back with the original files, I don't have this problem.
    But I did not make any changes in Export_descr_buildings, stupid or not

I changed it so that i can recruit legio units for the defense of italy and i can also recruit the normal units everywhere for my invasions so i can replenish them wherever i go.

here is the export descr buildings file if you're interested:

http://uploading.com/files/ff9337m7/...buildings.zip/

Roman factions: Adds archers recruitable everywhere and allows you to recruit normal units in every city (accross the whole map) and they can be recruited along with the legio units (only in Italy).
    Last edited by GreenKing; March 02, 2012 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks you, jamiemgr
    I did not understood:
    i can recruit legio units for the defense of italy
    units always for the defence, of course, what else
    Please, explain in more detail. You can recruit Legio III (Apulia) at Venetia (Legio X) etc?
    and i can also recruit the normal units everywhere for my invasions so i can replenish them wherever i go
    Normal = not numbered, are they?
    Let me guess You removed the binding legio 1-XII to a specific city in Italy, and cleaned out the conditions of the type "frontier" or "never" from the export_descr_building? I was thinking the same thing. I did not think that it is possible to do it only by changes in one file. Changes in descr_regions.txt does not require?

Thanks you, jamiemgr
    I did not understood:
    Quote:
    i can recruit legio units for the defense of italy

units always for the defence, of course, what else
    Please, explain in more detail. You can recruit Legio III (Apulia) at Venetia (Legio X) etc?
    I noticed that legio units are cheaper to upkeep than other units. So they are nice and cheap to leave behind and defend italy.

and i can also recruit the normal units everywhere for my invasions so i can replenish them wherever i go
    Normal = not numbered, are they?
    Let me guess You removed the binding legio 1-XII to a specific city in Italy, and cleaned out the conditions of the type "frontier" or "never" from the export_descr_building? I was thinking the same thing. I did not think that it is possible to do it only by changes in one file. Changes in descr_regions.txt does not require?
    Yes, normal = not numbered. You can still recruit the legio I-XII units as well.