View Poll Results: Do you support the genophage?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 54.84%
  • No

28 45.16%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genophage: For or against?

Default Genophage: For or against?

brief overview:

The genophage was a biological weapon deployed against the krogan by the turians during the Krogan Rebellions. It was designed to severely reduce krogan numbers by "infecting" the species with a genetic mutation. The genophage's modus operandi is not to reduce the fertility of krogan females, but rather the probability of viable pregnancies: many krogan die in stillbirth, with most fetuses never even reaching this stage of development. Moreover, every cell in each krogan is infected, to prevent the use of gene therapy to counteract it.
    The genophage was originally developed by the salarians. They believed that, as the consequences would be so devastating, no one would ever deploy the genophage, thus wielding it as a deterrent. However, the turians had different military attitudes, the turians only appreciating an approach of "massive retaliation". Once the genophage was complete, the turians immediately used it, and krogan numbers began to dwindle rapidly. Any female krogan who could carry young to term became a prize of war who was viciously fought over. Taking advantage of this, a female warlord named Shiagur used her fertility as a bargaining chip to attract the strongest males to her army.

A few individuals, such as Wrex, have attempted to rebuild the species, or at least curtail its decline, by focusing on breeding, but the inherent belligerence of the krogan usually frustrates their efforts.

There is no known cure for the genophage. Some krogan groups have invested in companies such as Binary Helix to try to discover one; however, efforts have so far been thwarted by a lack of krogan scientists and a disinterest of other species in a revived krogan population. At one point, the Krogans started to evolve a resistance against the genophage. The SSTG developed a second, modified genophage to deal with this.

The krogan are a shadow of their former glory. While the Rebellions took place centuries ago, they are constantly reminded of the horror of the genophage and of their inability to counter it. The release of the genophage is still controversial, bitterly debated in many circles.

Mordin Solus sheds light on the genophage he helped create, insisting that its purpose is not to wipe out the Krogans but to stabilize their large growth. He points out that during the development of the genophage, it was very possible to have made it so that it would wipe them out; he did not choose that path.
    it would also do everyone well to remember that before any of this happened, the Krogan grew to very large numbers in their homeworld and ended up killing each other in great numbers with nuclear warfare (and also succumbing the planet to a nuclear winter that still affects it). they also conquered world after world and defied the council which requested it to withdraw from its colonies, thus triggering the bloody Krogan Rebellion war.

with krogans it seems like you'll wind up with death either way,

on one hand, you're killing krogan fetuses. (fact)
    on the other hand, there exists the likely possibility that krogans will once again go on a conquest rampage and take many lives. (supposition, but anecdotal evidence)

the question to ask is, is it possible, that under the right leadership and free from the genophage, the krogans would be able to grow and and coexist peacefully with the other races? that's a very big if, and would require a distancing from their more traditionalists views. they are, after all, violent by nature. i am unsure if Wrex's death being official canon has any relevance, but if he's still alive in your game, he might be that leader to make this possible.

what do you folks think?
    Last edited by snuggans; July 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Genophage: For or against?

I agree with the original genophage, and the new one Mordin helped create and spread. The Krogans were given access to advanced technology and spacefaring long before they were in a position to use these technologies in a way acceptable to the rest of the Council races, and so because of the threat they posed they had to be limited. Unfortunately the genophage has hurt Krogan society and culture and made it even more reliant upon traditionalist violent views and with the culture of violence and the ample supply of mercenaries, Krogan cannot be released from the genophage yet.

It will take many years (think in terms of a century at least) before the genophage could be lifted, if the Krogans are united under the rule of a more progressive leader (think Wrex, but more progressive and unitarian).

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The only semi-reasonable Krogan's are still tough as nails and nearly as violent as non-sentient beasts so the genophage is necessary just to keep their numbers few enough that they don't overwhelm the galaxy.
    My Gaming PC
    CPU: intel i7-2600k Quad-core @ 3.80Ghz.
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2, Zotac 448 core GTX 560ti's in SLI
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Semi-modular
    Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II XL-ATX Full Tower
    Heatsink: Thermaltake HR-02 Passive CPU Cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G19 with LCD Display
    Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless
    Screens: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55 inch LED ~ Cinema 3D ~ 3 in Nvidia 3D Surround

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Top-Tier-Tech View Post
    The only semi-reasonable Krogan's are still tough as nails and nearly as violent as non-sentient beasts so the genophage is necessary just to keep their numbers few enough that they don't overwhelm the galaxy.
    The council should use them like the zerg and just spam them against the reapers and then once the reapers are dead bring them back to heel.

they are great shock troops, if it wasn't for them, the Rachni would probably have won. but what you're suggesting is even more manipulative and controlling than just afflicting them with the genophage; they essentially become a chained dog.

I agree with the genophage for now simply because every krogan you meet besides Wrex is a brutal beast waiting for the opportunity to conquer, kill, destroy, etc.

Anyways, where do you get that Wrex being dead as canon? I haven't seen anywhere that indicates that and it says he'll be in ME3 unless you killed him on Virmire.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think a genophage should had been dropped on the salarians, it was just as much their fault afterall. They should have taken responsibility.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post

Anyways, where do you get that Wrex being dead as canon? I haven't seen anywhere that indicates that and it says he'll be in ME3 unless you killed him on Virmire.
    yes, it is likely he'll appear in ME3 if the game will make use of ME2 saves and he lived on Virmire, but his death is canon because it is the way Bioware has chosen to tell the story. if you start up ME2 with no ME1 save, he's dead. some other Krogan is leader of the Urdnot clan. also that the ME1 council died during the Citadel attack, and whether Kaidan or Ashley lives depends on the gender of your Shepard.

Numenor's Avatar Campidoctor

I think the genophage is a good thing. Since the birth rate of the krogans was extremely high due to the harsh conditions of their planet, it would have made sense in that world, but with new technology, they basicly become a threat due to the war culture + extreme birth ratio it would involve.

The reason the genophage exists in the first place is because the krogans where so warmonger.
    [IMG]

Well i voted no, becouse it goes against the natural process of evolution, but probably, the bigest mistake of the Salarians, was to give technology, and Nuclear weapons to the Krogans, and use then to defeat the rachni. naturaly they would feel obligated to correct that mistake, seeing how dangerous the Krogan could be to the galaxy if they reached very high populations, meaning a new era of galatic expansion by the krogans.
    Still i think the genophage is wrong, but again i think its not as bad as most people think, given certain circustances, it could be applyed, for the better of the whole, and genophage does not mean species erradication, genophage means population control.
    And i recall, it was a very specifc situation, when a semi civilized species, gained much power, and knowledge to quickly, that allmost the krogan destroy thenselfs, so the genophage compared to what the salarians did first, is a small felony. The true crime was to get envolved in the natural cientific, society, economic evolution, of a civilization that wasnt mature enough to handle it, and use then as shock soldiers.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 19, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I wanted the option to support Wrex in ME1 but somehow the option was not given, I was agreeing with him. If there's a cure it could be given to just a select group who is trusted, a small colony like Urdnot clan.

Comes Domesticorum

I agree with the genophage for now simply because every krogan you meet besides Wrex is a brutal beast waiting for the opportunity to conquer, kill, destroy, etc.

The default story one chooses in Mass Effect 2 is based off of the canon ending of ME1.

The Council is lost, Wrex dies, are canon.

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

For.

I found this to be a good reason:

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Stop the genophage, but not like in Mordin's loyalty mission.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

I'll let TNG answer this:

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Genophage sucked. It destroyed the Krogan's goverment, culture, population, and honor.
    I'll let TNG answer this:
    TNG solves all of life's problems
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Well without the genophage the galaxy would be pretty bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    The default story one chooses in Mass Effect 2 is based off of the canon ending of ME1.

The Council is lost, Wrex dies, are canon.
    Who says it's canon? Just cause those are the choices available doesn't mean it's canon. How dare you!?!/

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Who says it's canon? Just cause those are the choices available doesn't mean it's canon. How dare you!?!/
    I heard of it's a bug rather the 'canon' which cause things screw up with pretty every one dying and every one hate you.
    Aure entuluva!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast