Thread: Reworked Kislev army

Default Reworked Kislev army

Kislev is my favourite army and is represented very well in the game in my opinion, still I reckon there are a couple holes in the roster and a few units which could be added which would add a lot of personality to the faction. I posted about this before in the unit suggestions but had no repsonse and this is a more expanded and in detail collection of ideas.

Infantry

Standard-
    Spearmen
    Halberdiers
    Axemen - A unit of axemen made up from men not from the kossar ungol tribe. Kislev is a land of steppes and forests so these guys would be woodsmen and other such. This gives Kislev a non-elite unit that isn't slow and unwieldy like the spearmen and halberds.

Ranged-
    Kossars
    Kvassnics
    Streltsi - Would make them slightly more potent in hand to hand combat, they are carrying Berdiche axes but in my experience tend to get mashed by anything that gets in close. Should also only be recruitable in Erengraad.
    Ungol Archers - Dismounted Ungol horse archers for a bit more variety.

Elite-
    Kreml guard
    Droyashki - Would make these a smaller unit but even more potent, the lore talks about these guys being ridiculously elite and among the best swordsmen in the old world.
    Druzhina - Young nobles etc, decent armour, axe and shield. Fit the lore (Mordheim captains were Druzhina) Give Kislev a unit that whilst not as effective as Kreml Guard can cover the ground much better than Spearmen and Halberdiers.

Uragon mortar

Cavalry

Standard-
    Winged lancers
    Kossar Partisans - These guys are basically mounted kossars armed with curved cavalry sabres, heavier than the ungol horse archers and giving Kislev a cavalry unit that doesn't use lances and isn't primarily ranged. Also fit nicely with the lore and fit in well with the armies character.

Ranged-
    Ungol horse archers
    Mounted militia - Would consider ditching these, Kislev doesn't really need two units of mounted gunners. However, if they are staying would also rename them Kislev Dragoons, the idea of a country where gunpowder weapons are rare giving them to militia doesn't seem right.
    Chekists

Elite-
    Gryphon legion
    Sons of Urson

These aren't wildly extravagant ideas but just a few small adjustments that I think would improve variety and the experience of playing the faction. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Lynx54321; July 22, 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Default Re: Reworked Kislev army

I like this one.

Another idea inspired from Riders of the Dead by Dan Abnett. Kislevite lancers use sabres on horseback but long, straight double handed swords when on foot which they carry in their saddle usually.

So some sort of Dismounted Lancer unit armed with two-handed swords?

Also Beastslayer talks about the soldiers in Praag wearing winged lion tabards, Praag could get a unique unit called Stalgrad Militia or something equipped with bows and swords.
    Last edited by Lynx54321; July 25, 2011 at 07:07 PM.

SHREDDER's Avatar Creator CoW, TATW, WF&S

Kislev army a unique, balanced and varied. I see no reason to change anything.
    3Dmodeller for Call of Warhammer Third Age With Fire and Sword 2 Hetmanat

Bes
    t Ukrainian site and forum Sich TotalWarS totalwar.fun/board/

Maybe the existing units don't need changed but surely a couple new units wouldn't hurt? Kislev seriously lack a medium infantry unit between spears and Kreml Guard. And units like the dismounted lancers, partisans and the Stalgrad Militia fit the lore nicely.

True. Kislev army is full of elegance, balance and diversity. There is no why change something that is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx54321 View Post
    Maybe the existing units don't need changed but surely a couple new units wouldn't hurt? Kislev seriously lack a medium infantry unit between spears and Kreml Guard. And units like the dismounted lancers, partisans and the Stalgrad Militia fit the lore nicely.
    It's a feature, not a bug. I think the Kislevite army as is is meant to lack a medium, versatile infantry. To my thinking giving them that would sort of render them simply another Empire army, no steroids. It takes away some of the individuality. In my opinion it isn't a problem any more than other factions which lack super-heavy cavalry is a problem.

I never claimed the Kislev army list was bugged or not good as it is. All I am saying is that a bit more variety never hurts. Still, I can understand the reasons given for a lack of desire to change it and understand the lack of medium infantry is a feature, I just believe there is some potential for some awesome units there like partisans and the dismounted lancers with two handed swords from Riders of the Dead.

hessia78's Avatar Libertus

The Mounted Militia supposed to be made up of nobles and other upper class citizens who are not full time soldiers. That why the Mounted Militia have armour as standard (the other militia units are made of commoners that's armour is an upgrade for them), own guns in a firearm poor country and are the only horsemen who are neither professional soldiers or steppe nomads.