Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

IVSTINIANVS I's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post

In any regard, it might not be a bad idea to implement into the main Justinian era campaign, but the game is full of various religions. We'd need to find people who could also create priests/shamans/false teachers etc for the various Turkic, Iranian, Slavic, and Arab factions.
    Well, we could also narrow it down a little bit to this. Did the Turkic, Iranian, Slavic pagan factions even have missionaries, or anything remotely close to it? Were they even evangelical and spread their religion? Just as no amount of preaching would save Greco-Roman paganism, I would argue the same here. You can get by with Judaism or Islam, with Iman and Rabbi, saying that they spread their religion, but the more active "missionary" work and preaching and evangelizing, would be credited to mostly the Christians.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by IVSTINIANVS I View Post
    Still though, the Byzantines are certainly not foreign to mass converting.
    With the very big note that the only mass conversions happened when the leader of the state decided to convert and made Christianity the official religion of his state. The situation in M2TW, on the other hand, is usually quite different - hordes of priests preaching in hostile lands, for decades on and on.
    Btw, Cyril and Methodius didn't convert anybody - the Moravians were already Christian when they arrived (well, ok, Methodios did convert some Vistulan and Czech tribes later on).

Take note that in many cases, it was not until the late 19th, early 20th centuries that political and religious authorities finally managed to pull the Slavs "completely" away from various pre-Christian aspects of their civilization. Even then, they survive until this present day in the forms of saints, fairy tales, folklore, etc.
    Actually, the Pagan past is still relatively strong even today, particularly in the "Christian" religious rituals of the commoners.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

A really good example is the way some people see thunderstorms. The great conflict between God and the Devil is in fact the "Christianization" of the thunder god Perun sending the wicked Veles back to where he belongs))
    Last edited by Darios; August 23, 2013 at 04:57 AM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    With the very big note that the only mass conversions happened when the leader of the state decided to convert and made Christianity the official religion of his state. The situation in M2TW, on the other hand, is usually quite different - hordes of priests preaching in hostile lands, for decades on and on.
    Btw, Cyril and Methodius didn't convert anybody - the Moravians were already Christian when they arrived (well, ok, Methodios did convert some Vistulan and Czech tribes later on).

Actually, the Pagan past is still relatively strong even today, particularly in the "Christian" religious rituals of the commoners.
    When i say paganism, im referring to ancient slavic animism, zoarastrianism, Greco-Roman paganism, etc, stuff that would be in EoR. Priests that would "preach" these religions would simply be out of place. There simply wasnt much of a zeal for it during this time period.

Btw, Cyril and Methodius didn't convert anybody - the Moravians were already Christian when they arrived (well, ok, Methodios did convert some Vistulan and Czech tribes later on.
    Ah but when Vladimir changed the state religion, there were hordes of priests mass baptising the Rus' people. Plus, how someone plays with their religious agents is their business. I like to have a Priest in a every province to
    maintain the religion. Wherever theres a church, theres a priest.

hello. will this mod bi released soon ?

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    hello. will this mod bi released soon ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Yes.
    Lol, a refreshing new answer as oppose to the age old, "It's done when it's done".

I look forward to it, I have been eagerly been awaiting this mod. It's been a while since a great new mod has been released, I've been rather disappointed by the bugginess of some of the more recent releases and have high hopes EoRL will be as close to perfect as one could hope for.

Good Job team and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hantscher View Post
    Lol, a refreshing new answer as oppose to the age old, "It's done when it's done".

I look forward to it, I have been eagerly been awaiting this mod. It's been a while since a great new mod has been released, I've been rather disappointed by the bugginess of some of the more recent releases and have high hopes EoRL will be as close to perfect as one could hope for.

Good Job team and thank you.
    It would be within a week to release, they announced that they were on schedule to release before Rome II, which is released September 3.

It would be within a week to release, they announced that they were on schedule to release before Rome II, which is released September 3.
    That would be great, but stuff can still happen that may delay that release you never know.

Oh my my my my!

DAAAYYYUUUMMM! Can't wait to tinker around with the Danube Limes campaign!
    炸鸡

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    That would be great, but stuff can still happen that may delay that release you never know.
    Voila, keep your pants on and be patient)
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Voila, keep your pants on and be patient)
    It's to hot where I live to keep my pants on, but I'll be patient.

Double post.... Darn browser
    Last edited by Emperor Hantscher; August 27, 2013 at 07:19 AM.

The Panda awaits...

No pressure!
    炸鸡

DevrimJan's Avatar Semisalis

It is going to be a glorious mod, can't wait to rock Sassanian cataphracts.
    My rig.

Gainward GTX 570
    Intel Core i-7 Sandybridge 2600K
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro Z68 Motherboard
    8GB RAM
    2TB Hardrive
    850W Corsair PSU

Ok, this thread is over.
    My list of most anticipated mods:

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

After unfortunate Rome 2 disaster , This mod alongside Europa Barbarorum 2 are the most wanted moods for Me. So please keep up the great work as many just like me are looking forward to this

Good luck

glaude1955's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz View Post
    After unfortunate Rome 2 disaster , This mod alongside Europa Barbarorum 2 are the most wanted moods for Me. So please keep up the great work as many just like me are looking forward to this

Good luck
    I fully agree.

Regards

Yves

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Sorry for the late answer! Anyway...
    A really good example is the way some people see thunderstorms. The great conflict between God and the Devil is in fact the "Christianization" of the thunder god Perun sending the wicked Veles back to where he belongs))
    Aye. I've also found it funny when I read about some of the old rites in the neighbouring village of German here (the name is of Latin origin, btw, nothing to do with Germans) - when a hailstorm would appear, people would bring out their male babies, bare their butts and point them towards the sky, to chase away the hail (or something like that, it's been some years since I read it).

Ah but when Vladimir changed the state religion, there were hordes of priests mass baptising the Rus' people. Plus, how someone plays with their religious agents is their business. I like to have a Priest in a every province to
    maintain the religion. Wherever theres a church, theres a priest.
    Exactly. The only reason "hordes" of "priests" started baptising the Russians was because they were allowed to do so by the authorities. The first conversion of the Rus, soon after the Bulgarian one (i.e. mid-to-late 9th c.), is a good example - it didn't face much support from the authorities and quickly went into obscurity. The same is true for practically every mass conversion in those times - no king to support you, no mass conversion (and even with a king supporting you, it still wasn't easy - look at the conversion of Norway).
    Also, keep in mind there's a difference between an ordinary priest and a group of missionaries.

Sorry for the late answer! Anyway...

Aye. I've also found it funny when I read about some of the old rites in the neighbouring village of German here (the name is of Latin origin, btw, nothing to do with Germans) - when a hailstorm would appear, people would bring out their male babies, bare their butts and point them towards the sky, to chase away the hail (or something like that, it's been some years since I read it).

Exactly. The only reason "hordes" of "priests" started baptising the Russians was because they were allowed to do so by the authorities. The first conversion of the Rus, soon after the Bulgarian one (i.e. mid-to-late 9th c.), is a good example - it didn't face much support from the authorities and quickly went into obscurity. The same is true for practically every mass conversion in those times - no king to support you, no mass conversion (and even with a king supporting you, it still wasn't easy - look at the conversion of Norway).
    Also, keep in mind there's a difference between an ordinary priest and a group of missionaries.
    In the case of the Eastern Roman Empire, the church functioned as an arm of the state (hence the two headed eagle), so we should have the church available to be used at our discretion. This would mean that we should be able to control priests and bishops, and move them where we want, etc, because historically they functioned as agents of the state and would have been subject to the Emperor or Governor's whims. If we want to use them as missionaries, its our own business. I don't want the confines of the game controlling what I want to do with priests. Once a player begins their own campaign, its already taken a turn away from what happened in history anyway.