Thread: Which AAR should I choose???

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Default Which AAR should I choose???

I am in the process of putting together as much research as possible regarding the Swedish Rus' of the Varangian Guard and their establishment of a state in Kiev. This is going to form the basis of a Viking 'Empire' narrative that would encompass Slavic and Norse cultures of the day...

However, now that "The Last Kingdom" mod has been released I also have a desire to use a great deal of material I have regarding an AAR based upon the Northumbrian struggle against the Vikings and a subsequent quest for expansion across the Saxon kingdoms.

Both AAR's excite me greatly, but both would need to be a solitary project with totally devoted attention.

I can't for the life of me choose so I'd like people to offer suggestions...and this time, I promise I'm finishing it!!!!

Last edited by Stívarđr Reynitré; July 17, 2011 at 05:53 PM.

Default Re: Which AAR should I choose???

It's a difficult choice. Assuming that you have equal interest and are equally knowledgeable about the time period, so in other words you can do both at the same level of professionalism, I would go with the Northumbrian one, simply because of the new mod. (Which mod would the other use?) A new mod could bring in people interested in something different. A good example is Maximinus Thrax's tale.

wowbanger's Avatar Decanus

What Radzeer said. A cool new mod, interesting story, a great period of history.

"Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...." Some words of wisdom from my good friend, Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

Same, in fact, when my current AAR is done, I plan on doing a tLK AAR also.
    Check out: My Writing Desk, a full collection of all my Works
    AND CHECK OUT AND CLICK TO SEE:

Tim1988's Avatar Vicarius

Just a word of warning, the Last Kingdom release at the moment is still just a beta, so expect there to be changes in the future. It may be worth you waiting a little while before the next version is released. It would be annoying for you to get started on an AAR only for a new version to come out with some new features/units/whatever giving you the dilemma of whether to abandon the aar, or not play the new version.
    My Old AARs:
    Uniting a Kingdom - A M2TW:Kingdoms Britannia Campaign
    The Greatest Battles of General Sir Lionel Townshend - A DarthMod Empire Campaign
    Tales of an Old Soldier - A series of DMUC Battles
    My Image Gallery:

The Northumbrian story sounds most interesting. I guess The Last Kingdom is a MIITW mod?

If you're into the era, Viking Invasion II (for RTW:BI) + the Dominion of Britannia patch is a very enjoyable and rather stable mod. Very enjoyable. Ruthless AI and all the right factions present IMO.
    So, if The Last Kingdom is not a definite choice, check it out.