Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paradox Allowing Modders to do Official HOI3 Map Rework EDIT: The Map has been given to PI for FtM 3.06!

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon4 Paradox Allowing Modders to do Official HOI3 Map Rework EDIT: The Map has been given to PI for FtM 3.06!

Just an FYI to you guys, but PI is allowing modders to change the official game map for later patches. The coordination thread for the effort is here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ty-Map-Project

If anyone has suggestions on how to make the map better, please go to the link above with valid sources to back up your claim. If you say something generic like "xxx province is missing a port", then you'll probably be ignored since that statement doesn't help the modders fix the problem. But, if you say something like "Den Helder was the main Dutch naval base, consisting of coastal forts and artillery, plus most of the Dutch AA guns; link: http://www.waroverholland.nl/index.p...mament-in-wwii. Den Helder should have a lvl 5 port, lvl 4 coastal fort, and lvl 2 AA guns" then it will most likely get added.

If you can't get to the CMP thread, feel free to post in here and I'll make sure it gets added.
    Last edited by TheBromgrev; March 25, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: Paradox Allowing Modders to do Official HOI3 Map Rework

Hey, will you guys consider fixing all the cores? ie Germany for example doesn't have cores on Alsace-Lorraine, and the Soviet Union only gets its cores on Eastern Poland after the M-R pact.

Stuff like this should be fixed imo.

Some cores will be fixed, others won't. I've given RoC & PRC cores to Manchukuo, Dalian, and Taiwan but I don't know if those will make it into the game. Paradox apparently is only allowing German cores in West Prussia for reasons I'm not aware of, so adding cores to Posen, Upper Silesia, Alsace-Lorraine, Eupen, and Schleswig is off limits for the official map. The only other core change is that Argentina has a core on the Falklands now.

Maybe paradox should spend their time fixing the AI instead of "fixing" the map.

For example, it is impossible to get peace with Japan as China.

Also, the PRC spends 99% of its IC on supplies, currently.

The PRC spending so much IC on supplies may be a result of the fact that they start out with a relatively large army and very little IC.

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    Maybe paradox should spend their time fixing the AI instead of "fixing" the map.

For example, it is impossible to get peace with Japan as China.

Also, the PRC spends 99% of its IC on supplies, currently.
    I agree on the 2nd and 3rd point, plus the Spanish Civil War doesn't work anymore. The nationalists don't get cores on Spain and they don't get the Republicans' units after surrender. They're basically hosed if they win. As usual, Paradox introduced a new system (wargoals in this case) that they didn't test correctly and they broke a lot of things as a result. They should be working on fixing those problems.

On your first point, Paradox isn't fixing the map, modders are. Devildread from the Paradox forum is coordinating the effort and testing. He's in contact with PI as to what they will allow in the map or not, but aside from major province changes (leadership, ownership, etc.) anything to the map itself seems to be fair game. Infrastructure changes are the focus right now, and in general they're being lowered to a standard I put up in the earlier link for nations people volunteer to work on. So far the US, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, China, Korea, and Manchuria are reworked to be a little more realistic.

So far, the next official patch will include following changes:

Changelog

- moved German units from Channel Islands to Cherbourg since Channel Islands are infra = 1 in FMT
    - moved Guanxi and China units from Zhanjiang since it is now French

## GENERAL
    - Italy changes suggested by Starace
    - Turkey changes suggested by bizkit
    - Norway changes done by Palisadoes
    - South America was taken from Magrathea mod by Krazy19Karl
    - Finland changes by jat85

## BMP MAP
    - Fixed not matching terrain-river-province maps in North Norway
    - Fixed not matching terrain-river-province maps in East Asia
    - Fixed India rivers
    - Fixed dozens of pixel bugs
    - Redrawn several sea provinces in order to avoid weird stuff
    - Redrawn Portugal river in order to pass south of Lisboa
    - Added Pinghu Islands (as part of Taiwan)
    - Zagreb is now an urban tile
    - Reworked Turkey coastlines (thanks to bizkit)
    - The Bälts is now blockaded by Oresund (if at war with the controller of Copenhagen)
    - Fixed duplicated Tanjung Temboes
    - Fixed rivers in Siam
    # Courtesy of Krazy19Karl
    - Added 14151 - SalinaCruz province
    - Added 14152 - Limon province
    - 9645 - Belmopan is bigger
    - Reworked Honduras coastline
    - Reworked the whole South America continent
    # Courtesy of Modestus
    - Fixed a lot of little not matching terrain-river-province map pixels all around the world
    # Courtesy of Palisadoes
    - Reworked Norway
    - Reworked Danzig-Prussia
    # Courtesy of Chromos
    - Reworked Danzig and Konigsberg areas

## NEW PROVINCES
    - Added 14151 - Salina Cruz
    - Added 14152 - Limon
    - Added 14153 - Faroe Islands
    - Added 14154 - Lesbos
    - Added 14155 - Heligoland ## DELETED IN 0.6 replaced with pixel dot belonging to Wilhelmshaven

## ADJACENCIES
    - Added a strait between Tromso-Malsnes (North Norway) - 9;16;sea;11397;Tromso-Malsnes
    - Deleted Channel Islands strait - 2422;7938;sea;10537;Chanel Islands - Cherborg ## ADDED BACK BECAUSE OF PROVINCE NOT HANDING CONTROL
    - Deleted Waddeneilanden straits - 1569;1672;sea;10533;Waddeneilanden-Leeuwarden - 1569;1671;sea;10533;Waddeneilanden-Den Helder ## ADDED BACK BECAUSE OF PROVINCE NOT HANDING CONTROL

## POSITIONS
    - Fixed Kiel land fort position
    - Fixed Wilhelmshaven forts positions
    - Fixed Shangai fort position
    - Fixed Japan positions
    - Fixed New Glasgow - Halifax positions
    - Fixed Norway positions
    - Fixed Siam positions
    - Fixed Canada north east positions
    - Fixed Burma positions
    - Fixed 9874 - Marabuma land fort position
    - Fixed something like thousands of province positions, MANY HUGE THANKS TO IMPERATOR07 for his Hoi3PosEd Alpha

## HISTORY
    - Added naval_base = 4 to 6509 - Lae (Australia)
    - Added anti_air = 2 naval_base = 5 to 1671 - DenHelder
    - Fixed leadership values typo for Guanxi Clique in 7586 - Bose (0.50 was 2.50) and 5834 - Guangzhou (0.70 was 1.70)
    - Added air_base = 2 to 3827 - Torino
    - Added air_base = 2 to 4107 - Pisa
    - Added air_base = 1 and naval_base = 1 to 4425 - Pescara
    - Added air_base = 5 and naval_base = 2 to 5269 - Catania
    - Fixed a bug in the history of 9785 - Mek'ele province
    # Courtesy of Krazy19Karl
    - 10479 - Falkland islands are core of ARG
    - 10308 - Artigas now belongs to ARG
    - 10060 - PuertoPortillo now belongs to BRA
    - 10017 - Borja now belongs to ECU
    - 10008 - PuertoPardo now belongs to ECU
    - 10221 - SanPedro now belongs to BOL
    - 10317 - Salto now belongs to ARG
    - 6120 - Goa now belongs to POR
    - 5919 - Zhanjiang now belongs to FRA

## NAMES
    - Renamed Nijmwegen to Nijmegen
    - Renamed Belmopan to Belize
    - Renamed Pangim to Goa
    - Renamed Dordrecht to Zierikzee
    - Renamed Castelnovo ne'Monti to Carrara
    - Renamed Vittorio Veneto to Belluno
    - Renamed Kozina to Capodistria
    - Renamed Cres to Lussino
    - Renamed Zadar to Zara
    - Renamed Latina to Littoria
    - Renamed Mondragone to Caserta
    - Renamed Montalto Uffogo to Paola
    - Renamed dozens of provinces in Finland (by jat85)
    - Renamed provinces in Italy and colonies (by Starace)
    - Renamed Piotrików to Piotrków
    - Renamed Puerto Portillo to Foz do Breu

## REGIONS
    - Fixed Lipinski - 1579 and Bialystok - 1810 provinces wrongly belonging to West Prussia Region (thanks to SAS)

Planned:
    - Include Asia from Magrathea
    - Include North America from Magrathea
    - Include Africa from Magrathea
    - Rework Central & South America --done
    - Rework Norway borders (too thick in FTM) --done

Quote Originally Posted by RangerPL View Post
    The PRC spending so much IC on supplies may be a result of the fact that they start out with a relatively large army and very little IC.
    The reason is obvious to any1, but the consequences are not, it seems. The PRC was a major player during the chinese civil war, and with the current problems it and its major army is crippled.

A solution would be adding IC or maybe putting the PRC on war economy.

The Bromgrev: It seems paradox is "checking" every change and removes it if, for some mysterious reason, they don't like it. Like the cores you added.

If you already got a competent and loyal modder with lots of free time like that devildred, why are you constantly editing the work done by him & his associates?
    Last edited by Nikitn; July 25, 2011 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    The reason is obvious to any1, but the consequences are not, it seems. The PRC was a major player during the chinese civil war, and with the current problems it and its major army is crippled.

A solution would be adding IC or maybe putting the PRC on war economy.
    Too bad PRC doesn't have a lot of IC provinces to begin with, so the War Economy boost would be very minor. The best, although some what "cheaty" way to solve this would be to give them a modifier or something that gives them supplies.

war economy would increase their IC by 250%.

Just an FYI, but we've been officially given free reign to make whatever changes we want to the map, including events that affect provinces. Here's the post from Devildread summarizing what PI told him:

Quote Originally Posted by Devildread
    Okay guys I asked Paradox and here is the plan: we are allowed to do whatever we want with the map, the OOB, the infrastructure, the forts, the core and even create some little events (flooding, relocation of industry, stuff like that).
    The thing is, after the next patch (which includes .6.2 CMP) we will have something like 2 or 3 months before they include our map again. So we will have time to extensively test everything out and balance the world map.

Once everything is tested, bugfree and well balanced (no AI bogged down, historical output stuff like that), Paradox will look at it and include it eventually in the patching process.

Now the actual plan: I am off until 15th August (with a week in August when I won't even have a computer) so don't expect a new version before then.
    What you can do in the mean time:
    - Finland (jat85): continue your work, you are the only one allowed to work on the position file so I want to have everything done and ready-to-include ASAP.
    - China (TheBromgrev): you are free to do whatever you want, it will be included then and then tested to balance things out. You can even make events of relocation of Chineese industry. Check what Elryck is saying and see if you can add stuff from his suggestions.
    - Yugoslavia (post linked) (impspy): please take in account this comment and upload here the modified files.
    - Romania, Spain (Neomann, pirro) province name changes: please upload the modified provinces_names.csv. Be sure you start working from the .6.2 one.
    - Belgium/Netherland infra changes (PaxImperator): is this the latest files?
    - USA/North America: will wait until I fully include Magrathea's work.
    - Africa: will wait until I fully include Magrathea's work.
    - Soviet changes (black sea, caspian, caucasus): will be the last big change as it is too big to be included bit by bit, we need it complete IMO before including it.

Did I forgot someone?
    So, I've been officially given free reign to implement any and all of my HPP Chinese theater changes, plus anything else I want to add to the map.

Will you add all the Soviet cores in eastern Poland, add all the German cores in the west and east and so on?

Also have you guys been thinking about removing European cores from their colonies? And fixing the problem of not being able to capture all the 1-infrastructure provinces?

EDIT: Are you guys allowed to modify IC & LP? If so are there any plans of increasing the LP & IC of the soviet union?
    Last edited by Nikitn; July 26, 2011 at 05:47 AM.

We're allowed to do all of that as long as the game remains balanced. That's the key here, game balance. Oh, and all of what you suggested has been done for the HPP already, so it'll be simple for me to port the changes over to the official map.

The CMP 0.95a beta is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zlql1gecji5btp3

First copy your HOI3 game somewhere else, then put the files in the link over the copied game folder. Then, delete your map cache, start the game, grab a snack (building the cache will take a while), then quit and start up the game again.

Some things are still left to do, like finish renaming some African and Chinese provinces, updating the Soviet and German OOBs for 1941 and later, updating the scenarios to use the map, redoing regions, and a few other little fixes. Overall, the map there will probably become the official HOI3 map when patch 3.06 is released. Any comments or suggestions should go to the official CMP thread, which is linked to in the first post. If for some reason you can't post in there, comment here and I'll relay it to the main feedback thread.

Oh, here are two before and after screenshots. The first one is the map from SF 2.04, and the second is from CMP 0.95. PI forum member Devildread made the first map, and I'm not sure how he did it such that rivers and province borders are included.

Before:
    link: http://didays.derkb.de/downloads/Com...t/SF_start.png

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After:
    link: http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/8929/simplee.jpg

Notice that the French and Portuguese concessions in India have been added, and the French concession in Zhanjiang (southern China) was added too. Almost all of the changes to China were done by me, with significant province naming help coming from Paradox forum member ATLeow and a lot of map help from PI forum member jat85. Other credits go to PI forum members Devildread (redid all of the Americas, Japan, Norway; he's responsible for convincing PI to let us change the map), jat85 (redid all of China [base map only], Africa, Poland, Czechoslovakia eastern Mediterranean, India, Australia, Middle East, Southeast Asia, and a good chunk of Scandinavia), VetMax (redid the BeNeLux), Frank+Frei (most, if not all of the Balkans and the USSR west of the Urals), and sauloaleia (Iberia). jat85 did by-far most of the work, so if you ever stop by the Paradox HOI3 forum, make sure to give him a big thumbs up

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by TheBromgrev; December 05, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

I'm just glad Alaska is fixed on the new map. It always annoyed me how out of proportion it looked.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Added a post about my hometown.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

very nice work. But I read on your forum that some vetmax guy or whoever was making nice changes to Dutch OOB-.. why doesn't paradox allow this, as long as you test the balance and so on?

This game could become allot better if the modding community went together and created a few megapatches.

BTW: If the map patch program is basically finished, will Paradox release 3.06 soon? Or will it wait till after a house divided is released?

EDIT: Also why haven't you integrated the PPIM into the map project? I mean since you guys were allowed to fix on the map why can't you add some really stylishly done urban province pictures?
    Last edited by Nikitn; December 07, 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Paradox set clear limits on what could and could not be done. Changing textures wasn't allowed, and changing province pictures wasn't either. What we could change was:

*The map itself
    *OOBs for the map (OOB changes to the production queue not allowed except for the Chinese Ping Hai cruiser; this is what VetMax changed and is the cause of the latest mess)
    *Province ownership/controllership
    *Events dealing with changes in province ownership (new surrender events not allowed, but existing ones can be tweaked) or IC transfers
    *Regions
    *Move IC/LS/MP & resources (not strategic resources though). The values must remain the same for a given country, so we can't add or take away, just move around

If something was added that isn't one of the above, then PI would reject the changes that weren't allowed. In regards to VetMax's OOB changes, the vanilla one is actually mostly correct, and the changes he made weren't allowed since he added 2 cruisers to the build queue (they were the wrong model # too and shouldn't have been added in the first place since they weren't launched yet). I don't know why, but if I were to guess, adding new units to the production queues might mess up the production AI.

As far as the 3.06 patch goes, the latest rumor I heard is that there's a team of beta testers working on it now. Apparently they're going to wait until A House Divided is done. You can read the latest details here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...t-3.06-release

Argh I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that the historical cores weren't added, like German ones in Alsace Lorraine. Actually, the entire core system is utter crap. I mean, one example: Germany gets cores on all of Czechoslovakia after the annexation thru an event, including in the pure Czech territories? Where is the supposed sandbox gameplay? Hearts of Iron 2 had much better events yet it was still much more open to an alternative history..

I don't see why paradox is doing this - they're pretty much done with hearts of iron so why not give the community the tools to patch it up to its full potential?

Actually, we were talking about adding German cores to Alsace Lorraine and alter the ones in Poland. I don't think that will happen though because the deadline for the CMP is next Monday.

Just remove all the events which add cores. They're rubbish. Can't you convince paradox to just hand out the cores at the start of the game? And of course add the ability to demand cores in war deals/historical events.

BTW: Are you guys going to make the infrastructure in provinces realistic, even though it would drastically make things more difficult for the AI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast