Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maps of the Medieval Europe - see which factions exist (lots of pics!)

Default Maps of the Medieval Europe - see which factions exist (lots of pics!)

Maps come from: http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm

I am not sure which year the game will start in so here are couple of maps
    After looking at them you can discuss which factions should exist and which might emerge

Year 900:

Year 1000:

Year 1100:
    Last edited by killmore; March 23, 2006 at 11:47 AM.

Zirid Kingdom looks intriguing though all i know is its a kingdom called Zirid but hey :laughing:

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

The start date is like 1066 so none of those maps are accurate for the game..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

liam_bleu's Avatar Laetus
    Virsare Village, Bago Aplaya, Davao City, Philippines

wow.. lots of rebels..

that would certainly put an end to that bulgarians thing.. if you notics they were existent on 1000s but by 1100s they are gone in the map..

im not quite sure about the bohemian thing.. but as the map indicates, they under the holy roman empire.. so making them into an indipendent faction would not be historically accurate

_GunneR_'s Avatar Civis

Does anyone find it kinda weird that the Holy Roman Empire consists mainly of Germany yet that was the area that gave the original Roman Empire so much trouble?? I have thought about this for so long but never put the question forward.

It's hard enough for me to remember my own opinions without remembering my reasons for them.
    CyberNations - The Best Internet Game Ever!

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by _GunneR_
    Does anyone find it kinda weird that the Holy Roman Empire consists mainly of Germany yet that was the area that gave the original Roman Empire so much trouble?? I have thought about this for so long but never put the question forward.
    They say irony is the most beautiful form of comedy my friend. :wink: And I think there right....
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

_GunneR_'s Avatar Civis

Yeah fair point there i just never understood why a people who's forefathers defied the Roman Empire for so long tried to recreate it. But hey history is great like that.

It's hard enough for me to remember my own opinions without remembering my reasons for them.
    CyberNations - The Best Internet Game Ever!

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Wow thanks for the great maps Killmore, ive got 1300 as my wallpaper.

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Guess that makes clear Serbia shouldn't be a faction...Croatia on the other hand...
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    Guess that makes clear Serbia shouldn't be a faction...Croatia on the other hand...
    How it is clear? Territory of Serbia as early as times of the great migrations as you can see was never under Byzantines control. Depend what year you chose to make map of, in this early period of time, it was either united under one ruler, or divided on few smaller principalities with different names, territory etc depends of the time, as you can see from the map (Rashka, Zeta, Duklja, Travunija, Hum, Pagania). The same goes for Croatia which was usually divided on coastal and inner land principality. However from 1102. Croatia became part of Hungary and got independent state again in 1992. On the other hand Serbia become stronger and bigger in the time span of the game and played significant role in period as you can see from posts related to that issue.

Portugal was recongnized by the pope as an independent kingdom in 1079 so... that isn't accurate

The "900" map isn't accurate, too. Bulgaria ( tzardom, not a khanate since the middle 9th century) is twice as large by 917, including the vlachs, some of the pecheneg and magyar territories, as well as larger part of european Byzantuim.

I do question some of the map accuracy myself.
    Map contradicts maps I had in school - for example on our maps Poland controlled all of Pomerania in 1000. And had access to the sea in 1100

Merged double post. - Trajan

Map from http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.html

Year 1099:
    Is that a Serbia there?

====================================================
    1099:

Map from http://www.culturalresources.com/Maps.html#medieval

Year 1100:
    Last edited by Trajan; March 23, 2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. In terms of telling us changes that happened during this time, this map does a poor job. It is a snapshot of a volatile period.

However, a thing to point out is the nonexistence of Milan, while Bohemia, which helped the HR Emperors in subjugating northern Italy) is clearly shown as a separate entity with faint HRE borders around it. During all this time Bohemia was autonomous and above the status of other minor German duchies, which is contrary to what some would claim.

The Story of Janosik <>Courtesy of Cracker Monkey and ARCHER29

Bulgaria at that time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bulgarian_Empire
    The Byzantines ruled Bulgaria from 1018 to 1185, subordinating the independent Bulgarian Orthodox Church to the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople but otherwise interfering little in Bulgarian local affairs. There were rebellions against Byzantine rule in 1040-41, the 1070s and the 1080s, but these failed. By the late 12th century the Byzantines were in decline after a series of wars with the Hungarians and the Serbs. In 1185 Peter and Asen, leading nobles of supposed and contested Bulgarian, Cuman, Vlach or mixed origin, led a revolt against Byzantine rule and Peter declared himself Tsar Peter II (also known as Theodore Peter). The following year the Byzantines were forced to recognise Bulgaria's independence. Peter styled himself "Tsar of the Bulgars, Greeks and Vlachs".

Serbia at that time:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Medieval_Serbia
    The first unified Serb state emerged under Caslav Klonimirovic in the mid-10th century in Rascia. However, the first half of the 11th century saw the rise of the Vojislavljevic family in Zeta. Finally, the middle of the 12th century saw once more the rise of Rascia with the Nemanjic dynasty. The Nemanjic led Serbia to a golden age which lasted for over three centuries and produced a powerful Balkan state which had its apogee under the reign of Emperor Stefan Dusan in the mid-14th century, before finally succumbing to Ottoman Turkish subjugation (with Zeta, the last bastion, finally falling in 1499).

So Serbia did exist in Fragmented state but Bulgaria did not. Note: Bulgaria could be emerging nation!

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Damn, does anyone have any more accurate maps at those sizes? I wanted to print these out and pin them up but if they're not accurate...

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by Thracian
    The "900" map isn't accurate, too. Bulgaria ( tzardom, not a khanate since the middle 9th century) is twice as large by 917, including the vlachs, some of the pecheneg and magyar territories, as well as larger part of european Byzantuim.

clearly they can't represent that, the map is of the year 900, not 917..

btw, its pretty accurate, the difference with many other maps is the don't show the minor nations, they just lump them along with some major nation..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Killmore, thanks for making historical picture clear
    Last edited by 4th Regiment; March 23, 2006 at 03:29 PM.

Here's a more accurate map of the Bulgarian Tzardom in that period:

I gave the year 917AD simply because on the 20th august that same year Byzantuim suffered one of it's most disastrous (if not the most) defeats, when 60 000 men were lost at Acheloi.

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Omg1!!111!! Bulgaria ate Serbia.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast