Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [BaB] IC Thread (No battles)

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default [BaB] IC Thread (No battles)

This is where you can make speeches with which to spawn free units (though you still have to pay upkeep on them).

Now this works somewhat differently from the first WEF; this thread is only open for the first turn (week) - from today to 9:00 PM EST Sunday this week. However, you can make a speech to get more free units when you win a big enough victory (outlined in the rules). I will inform you when this opportunity presents itself.

Two speeches/day maximum this turn, btw.

Default Re: [BaB] IC Thread (No battles)

I claim the first Southern Speech. I'll get it up today.

No way I'm typing up a novel only to find someone posted a flag to "rally the troops."

Yeah, creativity will be rewarded with extra units. Post a flag with the caption 'Rally to XXXXXX'? I'll give you two militia instead of one if I'm feeling generous, lol. I've found that longer speeches are usually the best, too.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

OOC: Have the states already seceded, or do I need to learn from my mistake of not calling for Virginia's secession?
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

OOC: All the states that are Confed on that map have seceded already.

A large gathering had meet in front of the Exchange building in Charleston. General James Murray, the chosen general of the southern states and territories of the Confederacy, slowly rose to speak to the gathered audience, as scribes and reporters listenedly attentively to his words, for they were to be sent out throughout the Confederacy.

"My fellow Americans, on this day we face a great threat to the liberties and freedoms won for us by our fathers and brothers. The President of the United States has declared himself king over us, and demands that we bow before him and call him our better. This man, who has seen fit to forget what better men than him have won for us, ignores our Constitution with one fell swoop by his minions, the Duke of Pennsylvania most notably among them. These men are a disgrace.

Charlestonians, we have not forgotten the iniquities put upon us during the British occupation of our city, nor the lives of our kin that were lost fighting in the swamps of the lowlands or the forests of the Piedmont. We know of the blood and tears that were shed, and of the countless days spent with no shoes in the bitter cold. And we know it was worth it. To be free of people calling themselves better just because of title or birth, of tyrants and dictators of the ilk of George III or John Pappus. But this is a freedom that must be defended AT ALL TIMES. The Northern states have chosen to return to the bosom of a king, like the Isrealites wandering in the desert longing to return to the known pains of slavery rather than go into the unknown but under the leadership of the Almighty God! History, it seems, is doomed to repeat itself.

Many Southern men have gathered to defend our republic against these tyrants, but many more are needed if we are to succeed. Veterans of the Revolution, we owe you more than you will ever know, and as such I cannot in good conscience ask you to serve again. But if able, please support our efforts in any way you can. If you can serve and teach the next generation the ways of the sword and gun, please do so. If sending supplies and keeping the faith strong in your homes is all you can do, it is more than we can ask. It is not demeaning nor unhelpful to commit yourselves to what might be considered menial tasks.

And now, I must speak to a few groups not wholly represented at this gathering. To the Indian tribes of the Appalachian Mountains and the coastal shores of Florida, though not entirely within my rights to do so, I implore you to help us defend our, and your, homes. I shall do everything within my means of granting you full citizenship rights and land in lands out west, neither of which will be granted by the pretender John Pappus, who considers you nothing more than dirt upon which he must trod. Our relations have not been well over the course of our nations history, but allow me to make amends to you. Let us forge an alliance, one that will last for generations, if not all of time.

To the slave owners and slaves, as a plantation owner myself I understand the burdens of owning a large estate; indeed my family works our farms without the help of extra hands. But in keeping with the same theme of freedom to all men, I propose that owners be paid for their male slaves, of 16 years or older, who will fight in our armies should they choose so. If your service is deemed acceptable, which in my mind would just be serving your country in this war but would most likely be debated by our central government, you and your families would be freed. If necessary I shall pay for the expenses myself, what little money I have.

To the States of Tennessee and Kentucky, I shall say to my brothers that we are Southern states, born from strong spirited men who explored the frontier and do not take no for an answer. We thrive of adventure and freedom and smell of trees and small brooks that flow down the mountainsides. My fellow Americans, I beseech you to see that John Pappus will not allow you to be free so long as you serve him. You cannot remain neutral; all sides involved know this to be true. I only ask that you see it within yourselves to join your brothers in fighting for republicanism and democracy once more.

To the French, your aide in this matter is greatly appreciated. I cannot stress this enough. I hope that relations with our two countries grow ever stronger.

To the Northern states, who have seen fit to throw themselves into slavery once more, I merely ask that you reconsider your actions. Geroge Washington turned down the crown of America after leading our great nation to victory, in a moment where kingship was within all rights his own. How can you forget that and give this supposed war hero who cares not for our own national history the title of God appointed king? I weep and pray for you to see the light.

To the British, I know that you are merely trying to bring the northern states back under the yoke of your rule, which I say begone! You have no place in America, unless you finally view us as equals rather than peasants that must be commanded.

I believe that my speech is coming to an end, for my throat grows sore. So I shall end with this; my fellow God fearing Americans, will we return to the oppression that was the monarchy, or shall we follow in the footsteps of our fathers and defend our freedom to our last breath? I would indeed rather die a free man than live what can barely be called a life as a man born in this country walks by me and considers himself better than me, not because his achievements are greater than mine nor his abilities, but because of his title; because he had been born into nobility. Will we truly return to that wretched world? Or will we earn our freedom?!?"

Last edited by Confederate Jeb; July 25, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

OOC: I'll just recycle some of my old speeches from the WEF ACW

Thomasson travels to Richmond to make a speech

Good day, my friends!
    This war of ours has officially begun, and armies are already being formed. Between the time of South Carolina's Secession and Virginia's, a letter was sent from the King to Virginia's governor, directing him to raise three regiments of Infantry to supress the Southern Confederacy. His response is well known to us, but perhaps not his words; His letter to Washington stated: 'You have chosen to inaugurate Civil War, and having done so, Virginia will meet you in as spirited an attitude as the Pappas administration has shown toward the south.' Two hours later, the Virginia Legislature voted for Secession. Just as we would not march into other's lands, and tyrannise other people, shall we not allow others to march into OUR lands, and tyrannise OUR people? I say not! Remember this, brave Virginians! The Pappas administration required us to raise Three Regiments! Let us tell them we have done so!
    OOC: Ooooold speech

Murray's speech causes a vast host to assemble before Charleston within days. Besides the soldiers drawn from the various classes of society, most plantation owners appear content to send their slaves to fight in their stead, though the sons of a good number of notable planters have used their families' wealth to become the best-equipped cavalry regiment present. Even some Indians have come forth to fight.

CJ gains:

'Southern Sons' Regiment of Heavy Horse - Cuirassiers
    'Old Reliable' Regiment of Light Horse - Hussars
    1st Indian Regiment - Light Infantry
    2nd Indian Regiment - Light Infantry
    1st South Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    2nd South Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    3rd South Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    1st South Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    2nd South Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    1st Slave Conscripts - Militia
    2nd Slave Conscripts - Militia
    3rd Slave Conscripts - Militia
    4th Slave Conscripts - Militia

----------------

Thomasson's brief and unimpressive speech barely manages to muster up the demanded three regiments, none of which were of particularly good quality.

Fred gains:
    1st Virginia Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    1st Virginia Volunteers - Militia
    2nd Virginia Volunteers - Militia

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

OOC Why dont you guys let Jeb do the rest of them.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

I wanted the do the 2nd...I could have done it better than my brother (Okay, maybe not, but close? ). Fred, don't waste any anymore.

So I can do one tomorrow?

No no no, the limit isn't two per faction a day, it's two per character a day Each character can thus create his own army, rather than just spamming one or two massive and unwieldy ones for the faction at large.

Thomasson travels to Yorktown, VA, where he makes a (longer) speech, addressing a large crowd in a field in his field attire, his troops formed into line on either side of him. Papers with his speech written on it are also distributed in Richmond, Staunton, Norfolk, Fredericksburg, and many other cities in Virginia.

Good Day, citizens of Virginia. My name is Jonathan Thomasson. Perhaps some of you have heard of me, perhaps some of you not. Let me explain this to you. I am a Virginian. I am a man who loves his freedoms. I am a leader of this great cause for which I will soon fight, and I will do my best to make sure we win. Virginia has had great glory in war before; Washington? Virginian. Some of Washington's best troops? Virginia. The place where the war ended? Right here, in Yorktown, Virginia! The Sons of Virginia have made themselves and their comrades in arms proud to fight with Virginians, as well as making their enemies fear them; and rightfully so.

Some of you may know this, some not, but the British - yes, the very same who imposed their will on us merely Twenty-Five years ago - have decided to throw their lot in with the King and his cronies. They want us back, and they are comitting. However, Napoleon has seen fit to send his own force of Heavy Cavalry to the South to aid us; the French, the very same who assisted us, here, at Yorktown! It's the revolution all over again, friends! Let's give the French a warm welcome with our arms open, and let's give the British a welcome with a sabre to the gut and a musketball to the face!

This "King", Pappas, has sought to desecrate the American government. Tens of thousands of our sons bled and died fighting the tyranny of the British Monarchy, and Pappas has the GAUL to install his own illegal regime on the throne? I think not! We've been terrorised by a monarch before, and now, my friends, my Virginian brothers, let's show them that we can win this again! Enlist, Enlist in the Army of Dixie, my friends, and may God bless Virginia, the South, and the United States reborn!

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Kirby gathered his men into the town hall. Chairs were set up into the historic building which held many meetings for the state during the Revolutionary War. Kirby wasn't a particurally large man, but something about him loomed of a grand prescense. He stood on stage, wearing his military uniform. He had no experience with any battles. But what he didn't have, he made up for in knowledge.

"I come here today on behalf of my state. This is the best state in the world, that is a fact. You see, here on the front row of these chairs, we have the senators of North Carolina. Everybody give them a hand." He said, clapping himself, though weakly. "Now, senators. You are no better than anybody else. You don't get to claim the front seat. Get up and move to the back." He said. The senators were confused, but it was obvious that the general was serious. They got up, grumbling as they moved to the back. Kirby motioned for a group of poor troops to move up and take the front row instead. "Now, you see, this is the way the government should work. The representatives, who represent the people, should be behind them, pushing on their will. Instead, you see them in front of them, leading them like sheep. That's wrong. It will change. You see, I know how this world should be, and the government just ain't that much in my view. Government enslaves. You may say, well of course it enslaves the negro and the indian, that is true, though wrong. But it doesn't just enslave the negro, it enslaves the white. It enslaves them through power. You may not know it, but they seek to control us all. Now, why would they do that? The answer is simple, power. Now, I want to ask you, who here has the power? The few, well clothed men in the back, or all of us around him? Notably us with guns..." He paused.

"That's right, the ones with guns. The people control the nation, not the other way around. To the north, the yankee scum follow this new king, who ain't even that special, like he's a god. Everybody knows he ain't god. He's a baffoon. Why should we follow him? That's not even a question I should have to ask. Following people is stupid. Follow your own path. I followed my own path, look where that got me. I'm a general, leading the best darn army in the states. Now, I say we show the yankees how freedom works. Not with fancy bills in congress, but with our salute. The North Carolina salute. A salute of cannon and gun fire, followed by the fiercest rebel yell y'all can give. Now, obviously we can't practice the gunfire and cannonfire in this building...but we can certainly practice a good ole yell, can't we? Now, men, show the senators what we're all about here."

The men in the building yelled, their voices resounding and echoing around the old building. The senators seemed to shake in their boots, afraid of the power a grouped up people could be. "Good! Very good. Now, senators. I don't mean to frighten you, or even threaten you. At least not yet. You see, you guys just need to be told that you work for us. We want freedom, you better give us freedom. Come a month from now, we'll be taking our guns to the door of the yankees. We fought by them for freedom, yet now they turn their back on it for some puny foreigner? I don't think that's how this country works. So senators, so men, our mission is clear. First, senators, what do you think the mission is?"

A lone senator spoke out. "To protect the freedom of the people." He said, his lone voice going out amongst the silence. Kirby nodded, seemingly satisfied. "Sure, sure. Now, troops, what is our goal?"

The chorous of voices was resounding, all in unison, like a union of one mind formed from many. "Kill the yankees and protect Carolina!"

Hats were thrown. The few yells of things such as "Protect the women!" or "For Raleigh!" were also heard after the original yell.

Amongst the cheers, Kirby stepped forward. "And, to end this little discussion. A new shipment of rifles and cannons have come in from my factory. I'll be donating them to the North Carolina State Military. I want my men to be the best they are. Weapons don't win wars, men do. But guns certainly don't hurt, do they?" He smirked. "Now, go home. You have good food to eat and a lovely family to attend to. I'm sure your wives will be waiting."

Unlike his unimpressive earlier speech, Thomasson is met with applause and, within a few days, a fair number of volunteers. Better than the turnout last time, as an aide to the general reminds him.

Fred gains:

'Sons of Virginia' Regiment of Lancers - Lancers
    'Yorktown' Regiment of Light Horse - Hussars
    2nd Virginia Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    3rd Virginia Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    3rd Virginia Volunteers - Militia
    4th Virginia Volunteers - Militia
    5th Virginia Volunteers - Militia

------------------

It doesn't take long before a considerable number of men have signed up for Kirby's forces, as word of his speech spreads throughout the state.

RJ gains:

'Tar Heel' Regiment of Lancers - Lancers
    'Raleigh' Regiment of Dragoons - Dragoons
    'Southern Honor' Regiment of Light Horse - Hussars
    1st North Carolina Rifles - Light Infantry
    1st North Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    2nd North Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    1st North Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    2nd North Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    3rd North Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    4th North Carolina Volunteers - Militia

Following the success of James' first speech, many South Carolinian politicians advise the young general to continue his recruitment campaign. His next stopping point is Columbia, the recently declared capital of the Rebels, now that Charleston was the South Carolina capital.

While a pouring rain fell from the sky, the general, after being introduced, stands up tot he podium in the old statehouse, and begins speaking to his audience, which not only is seating in the building but listening outside, as the windows and doors had been opened for them to hear.

"Columbians, you embarrass me! To think that an unknown farmer with little to his own name should be greeted by such a great host in his home state. I am humbled by your respect of me, as I have done little more than rally our cause in Charleston, that fine port city that I grew up in.

I am sure that you all know what has occurred these past few weeks; a man, a supposed war hero named John Pappus has declared himself king over us, the free men of America. His coronation was met with resounding applause up north, but here in the heartland of the South we knew better than to cheer. For on that day freedom became tyranny, and liberty slavery. And so we have rebelled against this pretender king, and declared your beautiful city the capital of this rebellion. You are all aware of the dangers this city now faces; Pappus and his lackeys will stop at nothing until your city is under his royal thumb. It is my job that he comes nowhere near this city, and I solemnly swear to you that I will not let their armies take one step into South Carolina without muskets balls and bayonets lodged into their bodies.

I must admit to you that this talk of war is most saddening to me; to have to fight my fellow Americans, who have so quickly forgotten the joys of being free. They only see the labors, and proclaim that it is not worth it when they can have a king who will take care of them for their entire lives. But we shall show them what true freedom is, and give those who reawaken from their slumber a chance to rejoin the free Americans that call the South their home.

These goals, however, cannot come to pass without your help; the more men that enlist to support our revolt, the sooner the war ends, with our liberties won and fewer men dead. And, hopefully, a few Northern brothers will come back with us.

As is the case in many of my speeches, I speak to more than those present in front of me, and such will be the case on this day. I implore all the mountain folk, hardy and courageous pilgrims who fled from their homes in Scotland and Ireland to fight for your lives and homes in this land, so that your former countrymen shall see this land as a chance for them to be free. I too am descended from Scottish immigrants, who fled from the tyrannies of an oppressive government to gain religious freedom in a land where good, honest Christians of any denomination are welcomed. Even the Orthodox Church that John Pappus attends. Because unlike John Pappus, we seek freedom for all, not privileges for a few.

I shall also speak to the Indians of the mountains, who have lived here longer than any of us have, as well as to the slaveholders and slaves of the Piedmont. I again emphasize my statements in Charleston, where I said that each of these groups can earn their citizenship by helping to win our freedom. I will also state that any and all donations to our cause will be greatly appreciated by your fellow Southerners. I have always argued that charity is better than forced giving, and so that argument shall be applied here; your charity will convince our central government to keep our taxes low. So you'll be supporting yourselves and your army at the same time, a feat well worth the little effort that it requires.

And so I shall end my speech early, for the poor wretches being drenched in the rain must be giving the opportunity to return to their dry taverns and homes. I pray that God grant us safety in this time of national crisis, victory in battle, and peace for years to come. And thank you, my fellow South Carolinians, for giving this low country farmer a chance to speak to you."

Last edited by Confederate Jeb; July 25, 2011 at 01:45 PM.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

O'Falvey addresses the state

"Gentlemen of Kentucky, we are living in perilous times. The miracle of America is coming undone and Kentucky now must find a way to survive. On one hand, we have the Royalists, following a King that has thrown away everything that the USA was founded upon, a King that has no respect for the bloodshed of the Revolution. I have even lived in Ireland where you can hardly sow a seed without the King's men sticking their noses into your business, so I left, and I fought, I demanded Freedom! Now America's freedom, one that we earned together, is no more as long as a man sits in D.C. and calls himself a King. His throne is made of the bones of men who fought for Liberty, and his crown was made the fire of the burning constitution. A pretender who dares call himself a successor to Washington while at the same time defecates on his grave.

On the other hand, we have the confederacy. A nation of rebels, who have no right to claim the King destroyed the Union when they themselves have split the nation in two. Instead of simply lynching him, they have decided to cut up the nation for their own gains. They claim to fight for liberty, when at the same time hold thousands of other people in bondage.

We as Kentuckians shall not align with either side, but rather we shall uphold the traditions of the US constitution. We can not afford to allow ourselves to be morally compromised by either side.
    Yet there is the possibility that the two sides will not respect our neutrality, and therefore we must raise a strong National Guard, to defend ourselves from any incursion, any forcible thievery of our liberty.
    Brothers of the frontier, I ask you to enlist in the Kentucky National Guard, to defend our state, to defend our rights, to defend our liberty. We are self made men, we will never allow aristocrats from either the South or the North call themselves our lords.

So let us take up our arms, and prepare to defend our rights we fought so dearly for so few years ago as we defend what is left of our nation should the need arise, for Kentucky shall always be a land of Free men!

Last edited by 'Gunny; July 25, 2011 at 01:31 PM.

O'Falvey's speech is met with grim applause as the brevity of the situation begins to make itself clear in the heads of Kentuckians, and the state militia is soon reinforced with a wave of volunteers.

O'Falvey gains:
    'Bluegrass' Regiment of Dragoons - Dragoons
    'Sweetgrass' Regiment of Light Horse - Hussars
    1st Kentucky Frontier Regiment - Light Infantry
    2nd Kentucky Frontier Regiment - Light Infantry
    1st Kentucky Frontier Regiment - Line Infantry
    1st Kentucky Volunteers - Militia
    2nd Kentucky Volunteers - Militia
    3rd Kentucky Volunteers - Militia

OOC: Just finished my speech, sorry.

The speech rouses more and more South Carolinians, and thousands more come out of the woodwork to support Murray's army. Among them are another batch of Southern gents and planters rich enough to afford fine cuirassier's armor and warhorses.

Murray gains:
    'Cotton Kings' Regiment of Heavy Horse - Cuirassiers
    'Old Fighters' Regiment of Dragoons - Dragoons
    1st South Carolina 'Tyrannicide' Regiment of Foot (Light) - Light Infantry
    2nd South Carolina Regiment of Foot (Light) - Light Infantry
    4th South Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    5th South Carolina Line Regiment - Line Infantry
    3rd South Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    4th South Carolina Volunteers - Militia
    5th South Carolina Volunteers - Militia

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast