Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RULE BRITANNIA: Mod Overview

AJStoner's Avatar Lord of Entropy

Icon2 RULE BRITANNIA: Mod Overview

Greetings, welcome to the main page of the M2TW Kingdoms modification: Rule Britannia!

Mod Overview:

Rule Britannia is a major re-working of the kingdoms "Britannia" campaign, designed with an eye to making a full and proper game out of the bare-bones, out-of-the-box scenario. Numerous changes have been made to include:

View Images

THRONE ROOM EVENTS: RB incorporates over three-hundred interactive events (mainly keyed to high-end buildings, especially educational buildings and guilds) of which an individual faction will experience about a hundred. These will affect your characters, settlements, and income, as well as your construction and recruitment options. Many have multiple versions that are presented identically to the player so there may be several possible outcomes to either accepting or declining an event.

These events run the gambit from holding special councils, symposiums, tournaments, feasts, pilgrimages, hiring privateers, patronizing artists, bringing impressive individuals into the king's entourage, dealing with famine and religious unrest, purchasing rare items of value such as weapons, armor, mounts, and manuals, ending quarrels between your generals, making trade agreements with off-map factions, and many--many others.

View Images

PRESTIGE RANKING: A prestige point system ranks the player’s relative progress throughout the game based upon conquest, construction, and wise administration. A cash bonus is granted by the council of nobles as each rank is gained. The Faction Leader will progress through 6 prestige levels, based on these points. It will affect his traits, what types of mercenaries he may recruit, and several interactive events. Both player and AI factions are affected by prestige level.

View Images

FACTIONS: There are 7 playable factions: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Norway, Denmark, and the Baron's Alliance. France and the Papal States (here called simply "The Church") are both present throughout the campaign and will constantly get up in your business as France and the Catholic Church were wont to do. The "Cease Hostilities" mission from the pope is still in the game but the tolerances have been greatly loosened so you are not constantly being told to stop fighting. Only a large imbalance between two combatants' relations with the church will typically bring papal intervention.

REGIONS: 38 new playable regions have been added to the game.

*Trade Theater: Northern France is now an accessible territory. The region cannot be conquered but provides a location where merchants can trade in items from the continent not available in the British Isles. Each faction starts with a pair of merchants in France. Economic warfare and the use of merchants will be much more important in RB since the value of all trade resources has been increased along with numerous expenses that factions will face, such as much higher character salaries.

View Images

SETTLEMENTS: All settlements in the game are now cities. Castle buildings have been integrated into the city settlement building trees. Both castle and city barracks are available as separate trees. The old city barracks tree provides local order and free upkeep units while the old castle barracks produces heavier main battle units, none of which are free upkeep units.

FORTS: Forts are now called "castles" in game. They are of the permanent stone variety, each supporting 10 free upkeep units.

BUILDINGS: 42 new building trees have been added to the game and some existing trees have new levels. Several of the existing trees that were unavailable to any of the factions in the old “Britannia” scenario can now be constructed with the aid of certain events (mostly through the Masons' Guild). Jousting facilities now allow games (called Tournaments) to be held in settlements that have them and markets of Fairground or above allow the holding of--you guessed it--Fairs.

View Images

*Guilds: The old guild system has been scrapped. The new guilds are built by the player when and where they please (with certain restrictions) and multiple guilds can be built in a single city. Each guild has a single level. All the old (and relevant) guilds are represented plus 2 new ones: The Mercenary Guild and the Bowyers' Guild.

*Wonders: Seven historically important sites have been added to the game. Controlling them grants material benefits as well as bringing great prestige to your faction.

View Images

UNITS: 25 new units have been added. Each faction now has a unique general’s bodyguard based on that faction’s best heavy cavalry unit. Bodyguard units are recruit-able from town halls. In addition, many units are now available as mercenaries that previously were not.

*Foreign Auxiliaries: The old culture-based system for recruiting rival faction mercenary types has been replaced with an auxiliary system. Captured home regions of rival factions now allow for the recruiting of certain native troops there throughout the game, i.e. the availability of such units does not vanish in a few turns because of assimilation any longer. Availability of these units depends on city size and the prestige level of the faction leader. The Mercenary Guild also allows the recruitment of all such units, at various levels, though the prestige requirements are higher and availability is lower than in a native region.

*Assimilated Troops: Certain factions may begin to recruit a few of certain other factions' unique units once they have eliminated and absorbed that faction, either through conquest or Dynastic Succession (special Throne Room events triggered by weak new leaders taking over nearly vanquished factions)

*Exotic Units: Certain Mercenary Guild events allow factions to recruit exotic mercenary units not otherwise available.

*Regional Units: Certain elite units can only be trained and replenished in their home countries.

*Full implementation of the hitherto ignored "unit speed modifier" based upon troop class to enhance battlefield tactics.

View Images

AGENTS: With the original religion system re-instituted, priests are once more available in the game. Each faction begins play with a single cardinal in their capital region. Salaries for all agents and generals have been increased to help compensate for higher faction incomes.

*Agent Training: Triggers have been added that allow agents to gradually increase in skill if they are kept in cities with related high-end buildings.

RELIGION: The Britannia system of replacing religion with culture has been scrapped and religion re-introduced. This is because certain factions will have the opportunity to change their religion when certain requirements have been met. Ireland may, once retaking its entire homeland, convert to paganism (at the risk of provoking a crusade), and Wales may opt to convert to Celtic Christianity. Catholic factions will at some point be asked by the pope to grant asylum to Jewish refugees expelled from the European mainland which will introduce Judaism to the game.

ANCILLARIES: Many ancillaries have been introduced into the game. These include regional and court titles, as well as several unique to each faction. Some may be offered for purchase by merchants through Throne Room events. Many previously non-transferable items may now be transferred freely.

CHARACTER TRAITS: The character trait system is based upon the “Broods, Bastards & Bloodlines” mod with numerous additions and modifications . Many new triggers have been added to old traits as well, relating to Throne Room events.

MISSIONS: Several new missions have been added to the game. Pope missions are once again available.

TURN SYSTEM: Rule Britannia utilizes a seasonal turn system. There are 4 Turns each year (3 summer and 1 winter) and characters age 1 year every 4 Turns.

EDUCATION: An education system has been introduced that tracks a character’s achievement in two areas: Academic and Military; there are 4 levels of each. Characters spend the first four turns after coming of age receiving their basic education. Their results depend on their natural inclination toward scholarly and military pursuits and the quality of buildings in the settlement where they are studying. Various events throughout the game can also affect a character’s education level after this initial study period. Culture also has an effect on starting traits.

ARMY SUPPLY: The army supply system from BBB is utilized though the triggers have been altered slightly since turns are now 3 months long instead of a year.

View Images

Credits:

Mod Design: A.J. Stoner

Mod Team:
    A.J. Stoner
    y2day
    Vegas_Bear
    RubiconDecision
    Tsaries
    Legio XV Apollinaris

This mod makes use of:

*XAI Battle AI system by xeryx

*The EDCT file (heavily modified) from Broods, Bastards, & Bloodlines by Dearmad and Pukas as well as several ancillary pics.

*Highlander Swordsman model by Ethose

*Crimson Tide 4 by Magus.

*Agart’s City strat models.

*Lord Condormanius' Irish Skinpack and Improved Captains for Battle & Strat Maps.

*BETTER WATER 2.0 and new Cog_Warship by davide.cool

*Stone Watchtower by Soupdragon

*Young Witch Portraits by Hereje

*Old Pagan Priests Portraits by Ishan

*Stainless Steel Denmark Textures by King Kong

Special thanks to my glorious patron (may you all one day be his slaves):
    y2day

*Geomod and BinEditor by Gigantus, GrnEyedDvl's Scripting Replicator, and Gracul's battle_models sweeper were invaluable in creating Rule Britannia. Anyone who wishes may incorporate any element of RB into their own mod without permission; please simply credit in your ReadMe. The items from Magus, Lord Condormanius, davide.cool, Ishan, Dearmad and Pukas are listed as usable with a credit in your ReadMe. Agart speciffies ReadMe credit and wishes to be informed when his models are being used. King Kong requires advance permission.

4 out of 5 Gun toting, bomb throwing, shark riding velociraptors agree:

You should play Rule Britannia!

Last edited by Gigantus; July 25, 2019 at 03:49 AM.

*MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF HADER* *UNDER THE CRUEL & MERCILESS PATRONAGE OF y2day*

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Rule Britannia

WOW this is an excellent idea mate! You definitely have a very detailed mod here, congrats. +Rep!
    Now down to business - would you mind if my mod, Heiđinn Veđr, used some of your ideas for those events and such? It would be tweaked, of course, seeing as my mod starts about 300 years before yours Thanks mate, and good luck!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiđinn Veđr: Total War

My stuff is all free to the people for the price of a simple nod in your ReadMe.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Sounds good to me man! Thank you so much And I definitely will download this mod when it comes out

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiđinn Veđr: Total War

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Very impressive WIP proposal mate, +rep for your efforts, just tell me when you'll be ready for what we were discussing .

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator

I love these regional mods. Looking forward to playing it.
    I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

Looks great...+ rep

HOUSE OF HADER

Wow this sounds like a much more interesting version of the Britannia Campaign, I am very interested in the trade theater in France, as well as helping give a more immersive and entertaining approach to getting money, it also helps to show how the Britons simply couldn't fund an invasion into France because of the priorities in Britain. I for one am looking very forward to this!

+rep!

Interesting stuff. Have you enlarged the map at all?

Very surprised to see my home town featured as a settlement! Why did you deem Penicuik worthy of inclusion?

Good luck with this project!

To be honest, Penicuik ended up in there because it was nicely situated where a settlement could be fit onto the map. Scotland is a pain to work with because of all the damn mountains. I will take this for a good omen, however; being in short supply of them lately. I haven't enlarged the map at all, that's a task for version 2 as I'm still a neophyte in the mapping department. Just added the new cities and a touch of northern france.

Roxburgh would have been a more historically accurate choice. What year does your mod start?

Cesarz's Avatar Miles

This looks interesting, I'll be waiting somewhat patiently for this. Have some rep.
    "Never trust a quote you find on the internet" - Niccolň Machiavelli

This looks great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    Roxburgh would have been a more historically accurate choice. What year does your mod start?
    Right now in 1260 but that may change a bit before the end. I may move it up to 1300 or so, need to do a little research about the situations in the Celtic regions before I decide one way or the other.

I am hoping that in future versions I can use provincial campaigns to make the game playable in several periods. 1300, 1066, the Saxon invasions at about 510 or so, and perhaps the Iceni revolt of 66.

Check out this paper here

Benchmarking medieval economic development: England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, circa 1290

It was our primary source for population levels and major settlements for our mod (Kingdoms of the Isles) which is also based on the British Isles at a similar time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    Check out this paper here

Benchmarking medieval economic development: England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, circa 1290

It was our primary source for population levels and major settlements for our mod (Kingdoms of the Isles) which is also based on the British Isles at a similar time.
    Thank you for sharing this, sir! This is some amazing info. Bless your heart, veins, and arteries--and the little capillaries too--very important and largely unsung heroes of the circulatory system...

I will definitely be going through this on the morrow. I just Incorporated all of the Archaon's Loyal Allies scripts into the mod and my ears are bleeding pretty heavily right now.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

I am most impressed by this proposal! +rep sir, this will be great!

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Added a bunch of new screenshots

Release Date Set; new info and pics added!

Can't wait!

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast