0 0%
  • Wigan Athletic

1 0.67%
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers

1 0.67%

Thread: 2011/12 English Premier League:General Discussion

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Default Re: 2011/12 English Premier League:General Discussion

Adam or Poulsen? I'd pick neither as they've both been less than impressive in a Liverpool shirt but Poulsen was less of a waste of money.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    So you'd take Poulsen over Adam then, eh? Oh boy.
    Can you read?

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Both pretty average for a top side tbh, not that LFC are one these days. Adams shades it by a whisker (has his penalty against Cardiff re-entered the atmosphere yet?).
    ...and I'm going to keep asking:

You are STILL not addressing the fact that Kenny is talking a load of tosh with his "team is stronger" nonsense.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Fair play to Arsenal, they certainly deserved the win although I'm still gutted that we couldn't hold on for just a wee bit longer.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Fair play to Arsenal, they certainly deserved the win although I'm still gutted that we couldn't hold on for just a wee bit longer.
    Krul should have held the ball longer, he kept getting rid of it as quick as he could

You've conveniently ignored my proof that Kenny is talking a load of bollocks when he's saying the squad is stronger than last year - or if it is then he must be doing a lousy job as a manager.
    The squad is stronger than 2010/11... Konchesky for Enrique, Poulsen for Adam (even if Adam is average, would never have played half as much if Lucas/Gerrard had been available. And Poulsen was like a Igor Biscan.) Kelly and Flanagan matured, Coates in etc. Although I disagree with using Downing ahead of Maxi, it does show we have more strength in depth, as does the use of Henderson ahead of Kuyt. Our squad is stronger even if the first XI has remained around the same level/regressed

£50 million of the £75 million was Torres which was a hilariously good move on your part, but when you consider that De Gea, Phil Jones and Ashley Young (who by the way is miles superior to Downing) only cost about £50 million combined... Melwood is buzzing - but is it producing? We've had Evans, the twins, Cleverley and now le Pogba come out of the academy in recent years - who have LFC got besides Spearing? What's Jono Shelvey doing these days?

Happy with Seb Coates over Phil Jones... Young has stopped and started. Can't deny our transfer dealings have been poor though, mostly the big £55m of Downing/Carroll, the final lesson that maybe having a foreigner-heavy team served us well with Rafa. We've had Robinson, Kelly, Flanagan and Spearing, with Shelvey (been on loan at Blackpool, did well) on the fringers and Suso/Sterling aiming for some time next year.

(and your 4-0 win was against ten men after our best player was sent off)

Our £500 million bond isn't up for repayment until 2017, and the 8.75% interest rate on it is about the same as what some European governments are paying for their debt right now. 2017 is 2 years after SAF is supposed to retire, possibly less if the old man carries on which isn't that inconceivable. At that point if we don't repay it we'll probably refinance it with something cheaper. Remember we're still supposed to IPO in Singapore which will bring in a bit of cash

I'm not saying the Glazers are a good thing, but they're nowhere near the threat to us as they once were. On the commercial side we're stronger than ever and it doesn't appear as if they're meddling with our affairs on the field.

Btw, what's your take on this Suarez possibly leaving thing after all the hubbub he dragged LFC through?
    Never really seen the Glazers as detrimental to your club so long as they keep funding your purchases and the astronomical wages of the modern Premier League.

I'd leave if I was Suarez. Although I'd ideally leave after scoring 21 goals in the last 10 or so games to atone for our 21 woodwork hits this season. Been proper head-against-wall year this one.
    ~

RESTORING ROME - CHAPTER II: TRAGEDY OF THE KOMNENOI
    bitte sehr
    SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT - A VERY SPECIAL FELINE

Quote Originally Posted by Schrödinger View Post
    The squad is stronger than 2010/11... Konchesky for Enrique, Poulsen for Adam (even if Adam is average, would never have played half as much if Lucas/Gerrard had been available. And Poulsen was like a Igor Biscan.) Kelly and Flanagan matured, Coates in etc. Although I disagree with using Downing ahead of Maxi, it does show we have more strength in depth, as does the use of Henderson ahead of Kuyt. Our squad is stronger even if the first XI has remained around the same level/regressed
    Man for man I'd say yes but not by much. The strength of the squad clearly hasn't translated into anything tangible in the league in any case.

Happy with Seb Coates over Phil Jones...
    With all these ex-players and Sir Bobby tipping Jones for the England captaincy and comparing him to Duncan Edwards (which in itself is borderline sacrilegious) you'd think he's half decent. Posting one off incidents from youtube doesn't really prove anything besides the fact that he's been error prone. The lad's 19 years old, it happens - and the entire team had a right 'mare with that Newcastle game. I've not seen much of Coates but your own paper seems to find him lacking

Young has stopped and started.
    Injuries and all that, but even so even you admit he's been better than Downing. He's had an alright year - won us the game at Spurs I thought.

(and your 4-0 win was against ten men after our best player was sent off)
    Didn't know that. Fair enough. Would be interesting to see how the youngsters at the respective clubs do - it's all too easy just to roll off a list of names though.

On the subject of wasted money - you mention Carroll and Downing, but what exactly has Jordan Henderson done to warrant £20 million?
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Seb Coates is a very talented young defender but unfortunately is going down the road of other South American youngsters that have graced Anfield - fading into obscurity either on the Liverpool bench or playing in the reserves week in, week out.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

They're still a fairly young side Liverpool. It's built for the future, they've bagged a trophy this season already, and they're in with a good shout for the FA Cup. Results have gone against them in the Premier League, but there's a lot of talented teams in the league and I think they've still got a way to go to gel.

They've signed well in terms of younger-younger players too - Jordon Ibe, Jonjo Shelvey, Ojo etc. They'll get stronger and stronger Liverpool, but let's be honest, they never had a team to challenge for the League last season and they don't this season. For example Henderson is complete log, and Downing is overrated to say the least. But they may come good. Poulsen and Konchesky were always a waste of space and never really good enough for where Liverpool strive to be in the league. Torres I've always thought to be a load of wind no poo. He had a couple of good seasons where he linked well with Gerrard, but he was on the way down form wise in his last days at Liverpool, never mind doing well at Chelsea. I'd swap him for Suarez and the potential Andy Carroll does still have any day.
    Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; March 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Man for man I'd say yes but not by much. The strength of the squad clearly hasn't translated into anything tangible in the league in any case.
    Still ten games to go- although if our forms stays like this it won't be pretty and I'd take this squad over Woy any day

With all these ex-players and Sir Bobby tipping Jones for the England captaincy and comparing him to Duncan Edwards (which in itself is borderline sacrilegious) you'd think he's half decent. Posting one off incidents from youtube doesn't really prove anything besides the fact that he's been error prone. The lad's 19 years old, it happens - and the entire team had a right 'mare with that Newcastle game. I've not seen much of Coates but your own paper seems to find him lacking
    As I've said the papers say little of worth and all they are saying is Coates isn't as experienced as Carra- who arguably cost us the game against Arsenal. Look at how Coates did thrown into the Uruguay side at the Copa America to see how good he is. Holding up Man Utd men tipping a Man Utd player for greatness is scant proof for anything either, having watched Jones he has little game intelligence- Smalling is a far better player, impressed far more than Jones in the England/Netherlands game too.

I
    njuries and all that, but even so even you admit he's been better than Downing. He's had an alright year - won us the game at Spurs I thought.
    He's always been a better player than Downing. Downing is a one-dimensional run it down the line and kick confidence player while Young has that change of pace.

Didn't know that. Fair enough. Would be interesting to see how the youngsters at the respective clubs do - it's all too easy just to roll off a list of names though.

On the subject of wasted money - you mention Carroll and Downing, but what exactly has Jordan Henderson done to warrant £20 million?
    Henderson has another ten years of football ahead of him, an excellent attitude, a good touch and pretty good game intelligence. Remember Lucas' first few years, he was slated then as he played without confidence but look how much he has become...

@ Omnipotent-Q - basically agree there, Ibe and Sterling have serious potential if they ever get the chance

@ Erebus Pasha - Pacheco had his chance and looked good but now isn't even on the bench at Rayo, did well for Norwich on loan though. Insua shouldn't have been sold, a 20 year old left back was never going t have a perfect season, up by Woy moving him on, had potential. Palletta was crap. Honestly can't recall any others in particular- we had enough... Bruna did his legs in... Hopefully now Carra is being moved on Coates will get games though, the kid has the ability
    ~

bitte sehr

Me and my old man are divided on Phil Jones. My dad doesn't rate him - think's he is too error prone and lacks a good football brain. I think he has a great deal of promise, is still learning the game and hasn't been helped by the injuries that Utd have had, meaning that he has played in a variety of positions. Once he settles down into one position - centre-back - I think he'll become an excellent Utd player.

Can you read?

...and I'm going to keep asking:
    It's such a silly question you're asking. Isn't it obvious the squad is strengthened? I'll agree it's not proportionally strengthened if you consider the money spent however. I think this squad would win the majority of the matches versus last years squad. I answered silly because the question was silly.

I'd put Jordan Henderson into the same booth as Phil Jones. Both will be good English players in the future. Henderson has had some really good games for us in fact, and some really hopeless. Likewise with Jones, isn't it?

Edit: Paletta is actually a regular in Serie A now I believe... Thomas Ince at Blackpool is also doing fairly good, not sure if we passed him on permanently or not.
    Last edited by Ishoss; March 13, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

The point I was trying to make about young South American players is that they've never really had the opportunities at Anfield and have had to go and get regular football elsewhere. Only Lucas stands out and he's a player that has often divided opinion.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Got a few quid on Arsenal 2-1 tonight. Usually any time I bet on Arsenal they get pumped, so apologies in advance to any on here.

Isn't it obvious the squad is strengthened?
    Erm, no. You have the same points as last year. You're just performing better (barely) in the Cups.

Even WE beat you a few months ago in that friendly. (I know a firendly, but, still…)
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

It's such a silly question you're asking. Isn't it obvious the squad is strengthened?
    I said - man for man it's better - but you have almost identical performance in the table compared to last season. What good are good individuals if it doesn't mean more points on the board? If the squad is so much better then has Kenny gotten worse at being a manager?

There are more younger players with potential, yes. A stronger squad? No.

God I missed Steven Gerrard... Nevin on 5live saying only his third game starting with Suarez, maybe a big factor in our performances this season?
    ~

bitte sehr

I said - man for man it's better - but you have almost identical performance in the table compared to last season. What good are good individuals if it doesn't mean more points on the board? If the squad is so much better then has Kenny gotten worse at being a manager?

There are more younger players with potential, yes. A stronger squad? No.
    Give them time mister, give them time. We've had a larger turnover than most other clubs out there and it shows.

Academy scored 3 goals and had an assist today by the way. Jordan Henderson played terrific and were instrumental in first two goals. Really impressed by some of his passes today, very intelligent.

Don't think you should neglect Carroll and Henderson in our offensive buildup today, Schrödinger. Carroll had a large presence and Henderson played very well (for the first time?) in a right midfield role. Steven Gerrard... OOOOH!!!
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

Stevie G is the man! Credit where credit is due - Liverpool played well and Suarez and Gerrard worked well together. Everton lacked any kind of penetration up front although Pienaar showed some nice touches and Baines tried to get forward when possible. I just thought Rodwell and Fellaini was a bit of a flat midfield and Anichebe and that lad with the long name looked isolated.

Gollum leaving Cahill, Osman and a few others on the bench not looking so wise now...

Agree Ishoss, Carroll was as good tonight as his been this season, that crossfield ball was Alonsoesque Henderson had a much better second half than first too, grew into the game and looked impressive by the end.

Now please God give us some momentum!
    ~

bitte sehr

The famous momentum... Could push us into 4th eventually. One got to believe...

Bill Shankly

The famous momentum... Could push us into 4th eventually. One got to believe...
    err no that's Chelsea's spot for now