• Wigan Athletic

1 0.67%
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers

1 0.67%

Thread: 2011/12 English Premier League:General Discussion

Default Re: 2011/12 English Premier League:General Discussion

2-0

Abramovich wants Guardiola now apparently

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has sent out the message that he wants the best manager in the world and has targeted Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola in the summer after a move for Rafa Benitez fell through.

Having decided to sack Andre Villas-Boas, Benitez was considered on a short term deal until the end of the season, but it collapsed as the former Liverpool boss wanted a minimum of a two-year contract.

ESPNsoccernet sources hinted that Benitez might well have been interviewed last Wednesday for around five hours and that, on Friday, Abramovich's hierarchy had an emergency meeting to decide whether to axe AVB ahead of the match at West Brom.

After deciding to give him one final chance, a 1-0 defeat to the Baggies sealed his fate and Guardiola is now the coach Abramovich believes can sort out the mess at Stamford Bridge as he would command total respect for his achievements with the stellar names at the Nou Camp.

A source told ESPNsoccernet: "Roman wants the best in the world, so Guardiola clearly fits the bill, if he can get him of course. There have been one or two English managers names put forward, like Harry Redknapp and Glenn Hoddle, but Roman and his advisors like the men in vogue and they are usually the foreign coaches."

Guardiola has yet to decide whether he will extend his contract at the Nou Camp for another year, and the interest from Chelsea is sure to delay any decision still further as Abramovich is ready to make him the richest manager of all time.
    Of course this being soccernet it could all be bollocks.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

There is only one man that can save Chelsea.

Click here for the future Eurovision Songfestival winner
    The same brilliant person also made the BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    I still love you Dutchies Tukker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahoma View Post
    Don't talk to my sister Paul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    But Nazis like ponies!

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    AVB was way too inexperienced to be the manager, he's the same age as Lampard/Terry or near enough.
    There are successful managers at big clubs who have not had much experience (Guardiola had even less).

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    I agree class is something that should be adhered too, but this is football at the end of the day!

Both managers were having a go at each other, so why the hell should should pardew take that crap from MON??? MON he got as good as he deserved on and off the field!!
    What did MON do?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    They tried to protest in Glasgow and someone was raped at their camp. Moral of the story is children: do not camp overnight in Glasgow City Centre.
    Post of The Year 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Farmathar View Post
    knowing what is about to happen I whisper in her ear,
    “do you know what makes us different from other animals?, We follow our prey, a lion or a tiger gets bored and follows something else, we persist” -------------------------------------------------------------------
    yhea i once did that, to a girl in higschool, i pressured her until she agreed to go sailing in a 10 ft baue, but she almost drowned so i no longer try that

why would Guardiola want to move away from one of, if not the deadliest club in the world to work for someone that's going to sack him even if he wins silverware? and i'm not talking about some blasted asian cup trophy or whatever but actual silverware.

the only way i see him accepting something like that is for lucrative amounts of money and because he sees a challenge in managing Chelsea where there is more competition than La Liga.

Very nice victory if a little bizarre. Great game from Rio and cracking goals from Ashley Young.

Need to sort the passing out though

As for Chelsea - whoever takes that job now must be really short of money or really desperate to prove themselves, or both. Guardiola would be out of his mind to leave Barca in its current state.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Outlaw's Avatar Ordinarius

I don't care who he hires, I just want to see us play attacking football with exquisite passing. Is that too much to ask?

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

Who in their right mind would want to go to Stamford Bridge?

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    As for Chelsea - whoever takes that job now must be really short of money or really desperate to prove themselves, or both. Guardiola would be out of his mind to leave Barca in its current state.
    Hhm...

He's loaded but he have never been the guy who says no to a hopeless project with owners who will fire him regardless of the results.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    As bad as things were, I would have given AVB until the end of next season...

Also, what a prick Alan Pardew is. Showed no respect towards MON.
    Given that Chelsea need a much needed overhaul in their playing staff then yes I agree. Getting rid of AVB doesn't actually solve the problems at Stamford Bridge.

As for the Tyne & Wear Derby - I was amazed that Lee Cattermole managed to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes but then laughed when I found he got a red in a tunnel after the final whistle.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

If I were Chelsea I'd be going after Fabio Capello.

They tried to protest in Glasgow and someone was raped at their camp. Moral of the story is children: do not camp overnight in Glasgow City Centre.
    Post of The Year 2011
    “do you know what makes us different from other animals?, We follow our prey, a lion or a tiger gets bored and follows something else, we persist” -------------------------------------------------------------------
    yhea i once did that, to a girl in higschool, i pressured her until she agreed to go sailing in a 10 ft baue, but she almost drowned so i no longer try that

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

There are successful managers at big clubs who have not had much experience (Guardiola had even less).
    Guardiola played for years at Barca and had the respect inside the club, AVB was never a professional player.

Generally inexperienced managers don't do well straight away at big clubs, and it was too much of a big job for him - not his fault, Abramovich is clearly very very hard to please and impress so either he needed to get the older players on his side immediately or get rid of them - and that is where his lack of experience told.

Not being an ex-player is not an impediment either, Wenger didn't have much of a career that way but he worked his way up, AVB needed some bad years to go with the good of Porto to round him off and that might have meant the players respected him more.

Woy for Chelsea, he knows how to steady a boat and it would be a good stepping stone to the England job
    ~

RESTORING ROME - CHAPTER II: TRAGEDY OF THE KOMNENOI
    bitte sehr
    SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT - A VERY SPECIAL FELINE

If I were Chelsea I'd be going after Fabio Capello.
    Brendan Rogers?

Trying to play like Barca with Livermore and Sandro in the centre.

Honestly? What the .
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbiean View Post
    Brendan Rogers?
    Would take Paul Lambert over Brendan Rogers.

Rogers wouldn't be able to do a better job than AVB.

AVB failed because Terry/Lampard/Cole didn't want him, and apparently Chelsea want to keep those 3.

Capello could step in and control and dressing room.

Post of The Year 2011

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

I think the days of the tough, no nonsense, disciplinarian manager are gone.

Roman is probably annoyed he waited too long, and another Russian billionaire has already nabbed his bum chum Hiddink. Personally I don't see a stand out candidate for the job, Klopp maybe.

Senator

Highlights + recap of Manchester - Tottenham game today:

http://www.tenmillionslaves.com/up-t...chester-united

Would take Paul Lambert over Brendan Rogers.

Rogers wouldn't be able to do a better job than AVB.

AVB failed because Terry/Lampard/Cole didn't want him, and apparently Chelsea want to keep those 3.

Capello could step in and control and dressing room.
    Well Capello gets on with them so establishing control of the dressing room should be easy enough if you consider Capello criticised the FA for stripping Terry of the captaincy.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

What? He won a mere six Leagues, two Cups, one European Cup and one Cup Winners' Cup. He's… not had much experience, right…
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I think the days of the tough, no nonsense, disciplinarian manager are gone.

Roman is probably annoyed he waited too long, and another Russian billionaire has already nabbed his bum chum Hiddink. Personally I don't see a stand out candidate for the job, Klopp maybe.
    Players shouldn't be paid the astronomical salaries they're paid and shouldn't be given all the benefits they're given… and they should never be allowed to choose their coach.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Treva, the Renewer View Post
    What? He won a mere six Leagues, two Cups, one European Cup and one Cup Winners' Cup. He's… not had much experience, right…
    Managerial experience.