Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [TE AAR] How's your campaign going

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default [TE AAR] How's your campaign going

Post your campaign stories here!!!

My current campaign as the romans is going quite well, but recently got a lot harder. I've secured all of italy relatively quickly, thanks to diplomacy in the north, and some hard battles in the south (damn silver chevron hoplites). My first premarian legion has begun the conquest of sicilly, and my 2nd is nearly ready to board the ships for carthage! But as soon as i put the army in the fleet, a huge gallic army appears and sieges mediolanium. So i use my fleet to land the 2nd legion near the north of italy ready to defeat the gauls. But then one of my diplomats over the alps notices 6, thats right 6 gallic full stacks heading my way.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Well, I started a campaign with Armenia. First I got all of the rebel cities within a span of 6-7 years (Kotais, Mskheta, Calsacacasca...) Then, I built up my armies and invaded Pontus with a 5-6 star general (who was a rebel!!!), and took Satala. THen I kept working west, taking Amasia and Sinope. All this time, I was building forts between myself and the Seleucids, because I knew they would stab me in the back sometime. Right when I took sinope, they attacked. Luckily, I was building up an army with a 5 star general, and am now in the process of destroying 4 full Seleuicid armies which have invaded my southern province.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Sounds like an interesting situation. Are the seleucids throwing strong armies at you?
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Well, at the moment, they are mostly made up of levy pikemen, but they do have scattered units of chariots. These bode as a problem, because my army doesn't have that much infantry, and the infantry I do have is Eastern Infantry (thank God that they at least have 3 valour). The good news is that I am currently in the process of making heavy infantry (which look awesome, by the way), so hopefully I'll be able to use those with a good advantage against both the infantry, and the chariots.

The war with pontus is under wraps. no one can stop my 7 star general with his elite army there. My problem is, as stated, with the Seleucids. My only chance at survival is to destroy those four armies in that souther province. Everything else is good, because I have all of the rivers and mountain passes fortified. There was only one that I didn't fortify, and wouldn't you know, the Seleucids use it to their advantage.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Its always the way. With my campaign the first big gallic army has been halted briefly by a lone general in a fort, buying time for my northern legion to get there. But once i defeat that army there are plenty more to take its place, and it is worrying me lots. Im using Rome to churn out my legions as it gives the best bonuses and is a nice central troop production centre. Ive also begun to reinforce the garrisons of all my north italy cities so there will be more resistance when the next lot of gauls arrive.
    Creator of:

Well, I pushed the Seleucids out of the South, thanks to my general's night fighter ability, now I'm on the offensive. This is going to be tough.

The situation with the gauls has got more interesting. This screenshots shows my northern legion destroying the first gallic army to cross the alps. It was mainly made of warband and was no match for my romans.

Unfortunately lots more are coming. I have blocked off a few passes with forts, and one of these is now under siege. The army beseiging it is small, but one of the units in it is worrying. Clanwarriors. They are better than any unit i can produce, and im guessing there will be lots more heading my way. I have decided to produce another legion (i create legions which i use for campaigns, each one of my legions as 1 general, 4 equites, 5 hastati, 5 principes, 4 triarii), and so have 2 in north italy. It is going to be one hell of a fight with the gauls.

Elsewhere my legion in sicilly has laid siege to syracuse and will soon have it under roman control, then just lilybaeum will remain out of my control on sicily. When i attack that, the war with carthage will start. I hope to have yet another legion ready for that.
    Creator of:

Lusted,

Just for interest's sake, do you play the Imperial Campaign or the Mundus Magnus Provincial Campaign?

And good luck with those Gauls.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what difficulty settings are you using?

Mundus Magna, im playing on H/H, don't like the high bonuses given to ai on VH in battles, and the tendency in VH campaigns for them to not accept alliances from me at all.
    Creator of:

I played both types of campaigns - however, I particularly like the Imperial Campaign. It seems that the AI is more active on the campaign map - has anybody else seen this?

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I haven't played mundus magnus in a while, and I haven't noticed anything like that.

Anyway, I have started a game as the romans and have built two full legions (in my legions I have a general, 5 hastati, 5 principes, 5 triarii, 3 missile units and equites, but it varies with cavalry sometimes). One legion has conquered southern Italy and has started on sicily and the other legion has began to conquer lands near the Alps. Just before my legion was about to conquer Mediolanium, 2 nearly full stacks of Gallic armies appear and seem miles away from Arretium. I sent my legion down to wipe out the Gauls and they did, of course. So after my victory I went back to Mediolanium and took it, when once again the Gauls sent 2 full stacks after Arretium. Unfortunatly, I had no garrison trained for Mediolanium yet so I had to recruit mercs for a temporary garrison. After that I sent the legion down once again to destroy the Gauls and on the way they were ambushed by some Rebels, but that was an easy battle. But when I faced the Gallic armies, not one at a time but both in the same battle, they all withdrew from battle. This was puzzling. Why not attack? I know there was no way they could win but I didn't think the AI would do such a thing. Nevertheless, I followed them and discovered that they were gunning for Mediolanium. And in a smart 'attempt' to hold me off, they kept an army at the bridge near Arretium and sent the other army to Mediolanium. I discovered that even after I defeat the Gauls at the bridge that I can't move to attack the besieging Gauls on the same turn. I thought "Hey, no big deal, they never assault until at least the third turn of the siege." But the Gauls sent another army after me and delayed my legion just long enough to where they took Mediolanium and, beleive it or not, enslaved them. Of course I took it right back but these events were something I had never experienced before- slightly smarter Gauls. Oh, well, it was fun.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Default Re: How's your campaign going

I'm playing as Greece on H/H.

Greece starts with 3 cities, Athens, Sparta and Rhodos. I started building traders, harbours etc., building the economy. In Athens I also built all the military facilities, and started building my army. I was under no direct threat at that moment, I had allied myself with Macadonia to the north and the Selecuids th the east. I had also established trade rights with just about everyone.

Thime passed, the economy was booming, my army was in good shape. So the time and come to conquer some new lands. I built a fleet and sent a force south to Crete/Cydonia, the rebels were no match for the mighty greeks. I started out building traders and the harbour. I decided to keep a small force on the island just in case.

Years passed with no military activity, then suddenly macedonian spies and assasins started apperaring in Athens. Expecting an attack from the north, I used 2 armies to block the roads from the macedonian lands. I kept one army ready ouside Sparta, ready to attack Corinth. Then it happend! A macedonian assasin was caught and killed, and all hell broke lose. Macedonian armies started pouring south, only to be blocked by my two armies guarding the mountain passes. I sent my reserve army to siege Corinth, and sent my smaller army from Crete north to siege Chalcis (I think, the island east of Athens). I now hold Corinth and Chalcis, I have also sent an army to Mytelene, which is now under siege.

Since the Macadonians broke the alliance, I hava allied with Rome (at war with Macedonia) and Dacia (hopefully at with Macadonia soon).

That's the story so far... very exiting
    Last edited by billydilly; March 29, 2006 at 10:22 AM.

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Great mod this. More fun than any other I've played!

Anyway, my campaign so far has been very interesting. I've never been challenged like this before. Playing as Greece, I quickly expanded into the rebel provinces around the starting area, Halicarnassus etc. Forming an Alliance with Macedonia enabled me to have time to build up before taking on large scale conquest. However, Thrace, a former ally made a very strange move. They invaded Rhodes with a very large force. They took it without much trouble. This was very damaging to my economy, if you consider the 40% naval trade buff I recieved from the island. At this point, the Macedonians attacked. I took Chalcis, and the city just south of Pela. They responded by taking Athens, and eventually retaking the town south of Pela. Thrace invaded again and took Chalcis this time. I could see this was going badly, and without Spartan Hoplites to defend my lands, I evacuated. Every general and the strongest men I could find were shipped all the way to Sardinia. Syracuse was our new home :-). Slowly but surely, all our last provinces in Greece were taken. Cydonia rebelled, and without a garrison nearby to retake it, it has remained that way for 100 years.
    Carthage, obviously unhappy with my arrival decided to attack. After a long struggle, and many cunning assassinations, I pushed them off Sardinia and the other Islands around Italy. This is where I stayed for a long time. I am currently allied with Egypt and Rome. The Romans and the Egyptians have now taken well over 50 provinces, eradicating the Gauls, Iberians, Germanians and Dacians. The Seleucids will soon be gone, along with the English and the Parthians. Armenia are going to be squashed between Egypt and Scythia. Carthago and Hadrumetum have just been taken by the Egyptians, and thus, I am praying they do not decide to invade Sardinia.
    I did make a small come back a few turns ago, however. A few diplomatic meetings here and there revealled that Thrace had one province left: Rhodes. I invaded, and destroyed the Faction forever. Revenge is sweet :-). The remains of their armies wait outside a rebelled city called Chalcis. I also retook Sparta with a large force. The Macedonians expanded all the way up to Norway, would you believe it. This puts them in direct conflict with the Romans (who now control all of Spain, France etc). They have been at war for quite a while now, and the Romans are slowly pushing them back. Spartan Hoplites are now appearing on the Battlegrounds in Greece, as I slowly retake the land that is rightfully mine.
    It will be interesting to see where this campaign goes. I know war with the Republic of Rome is imminent, but I would prefer to let the Egyptians expand far enough that they go to war with Rome. We shall see.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default SPQR - Imperial Campaign Report

This is from my Imperial Campaign as SPQR. I spent almost 125 years fighting the Greeks in and around Segestica, Patavium, and after awhile, in Greece itself. Especially hard on my calvery were the Spartan formations (3 bronze chevrons). Even after winning several battles I would have to fall back due to that fact.

Eventually they wore themselves out fighting Thrace, SPQR and Egypt at the same time. I landed a full stack near Appolonia and marched toward their capitol, Larissa. The following scenes are from that battle.

I had a full stack, probably two many onagers, but I wanted to get through those epic stone walls. This was by no means expected to be an easy victory. Larissa was defended by the Greek King himself with a full stack army of armored hoplites, greek cavalry, and heavy peltasts. All were silver chevron and better veterans of the war. They arranged themselves into three main lines. The outer walls (top and the streets below), another line several blocks back, and the King with more reserves in the town square. I arranged my own troops into several columns to get into the breaches made by the onagers. Notice the short column of two heavy cohorts to the far right. They were essentially wiped out in the early fighting at the breach. Keep an eye on the staus of the formations at the bottom as the battle progresses.

After cutting through the walls, I sent the infantry and cav in. The fighting was heavy around the breaches. I brought the archers up to support and let the onagers talke shots at the Greeks when they were exposed at the breeches or on top of the walls. The right column has essentially disappeared, cut down before they could get past the breach.

After clearing the breach areas, I brought the archers in, I needed them. Roman archer auxilia make good light infantry. I sent the onagers home. I moved towards the town square and before I went one block the Greek reinforements from the second line hit, and with a vengence. At this point I realized I might not make it to the town square at all. Losses were mounting, only two heavy legionares were anywhere near full strength.

Things were looking desperate so I charged my remaing cav into the mass of men fighting for control of the street.

This in effect pushed the Greeks to the small area near the base of the awesome Temple of Hermes(?). There I ran into the remaining units of the second Greek line along with reformed units from the earlier fighting. However, my cav units were now down to a handfull of men. A charging hoplite unit caught them in the rear.

I moved past that blockade and ever closer to the town square, almost the the edge of the temple of Heremes. At this point, a full strength, fresh, armored hoplite units appears out of nowhere and runs full speed into the fight.

The result was disaster for the column. The lead SPQR general, Captain Secundus, was slain. Losses were now extreme, given that I was still fighting the second line of Greeks, with the Greek King (heavy cav~ 109 of those bad boys), and several full strength, fresh units still waiting in the town square.

Even so, my men persevered and hacked their way through the Greek devils. I paused here for my men to catch their breath. All were exhausted. Cav was completely gone.

The Greek King awaits.

The final charge, the greek general heavy cav leads to units of armored hoplites into the reformed remains of my columns. The fighting is intense, roman legionares trade sword strokes with heavy cav.

Though the Greek King had the early advantage, he becomes bogged down by the Roman heavy infantry.

The fighting becomes protracted and Roman units begin to route. Legionares use thier shields to pin greek cav against the walls and then bring them down.

A roman sword ends the reign of the Greek King.

The men route the remaining greek cav, and reform. The town square is just ahead, a few more steps. Oddly enough, two full units of armored hoplites stood by while their King fought to his death with the Romans. Must be a Greek thing.

The town square is reached and the battle is renewed. Notice the numbers for the Roman infantry units, and they are very tired as well.

The Greek hoplites overpower the understrength Roman infantry, they cut them in half and no quarter is given.

The final result. Notice that the romans killed 1359 of 1481 greeks, but that 727 greeks remained. !!!??^%*&^$

Larissa fell to my forces eventually, some 30-40 years later. I wonder how things would have turned out if Captain Secundus had been able to get past that second line of the greeks near the Awesome Temple of Hermes? Or if I had brought one or two more infantry units instead of all those archers and onagers?

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I make professional legions that take towns for me, then I create garrisons either in that town or have my other towns make them for me. This way I always overpower the foe with the might of the legion and take the town.

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Nice write-up there Doctor Baltar. I'm glad you didn't end it in a victory ;-). How's your campaign going these days?

That is a tough battle Gaius Baltar, though it looks like you were outnumbered to start with, im guessing taking more infantry along may have tipeed the battle in your favour.
    Creator of:

ckerr094's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I seen some screenshots of a Roman Republic, is that your mod Lusted? Whoever made it is a genius, looks GREAT! I MUST HAVE IT! ...Sorry got a bit carried away!

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ckerr094
    I seen some screenshots of a Roman Republic, is that your mod Lusted? Whoever made it is a genius, looks GREAT! I MUST HAVE IT! ...Sorry got a bit carried away!
    Yes it's his mod. And yes, it's as good (if not better) as it looks. Get it. Now!

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

I was able to take Greece, after much trouble, and many years later. The greeks have a large empire and still have cities in Turkey, several islands, etc. My biggest problem now is Iberians, who have started causing trouble around Massilia with several full stacks of infantry only armies. All or most of my forces are still around the Greek peninsula.

Unfortunately I met the victory conditions for this campaign, so I started up a Mundus Magnus SPQR. I have a 19 year old, 6 start general, Lucius Julius, who I am sending north to fame and glory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast