Thread: Yari Ji-Samurai

Ordinarius

Default Yari Ji-Samurai

These were the poor, rural samurai of Japan. They were not full-time warriors like regular samurai. During times of peace they farmed the land. They were popular with the Oda clan, so maybe the Oda could have a discount on them.

Here is my depiction of them: (I modded the ashigaru unit_variant file from The Hedge Knight's awesome mod, and added kabuto and sode and do)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Yari Ji-Samurai

Nice! Think you can combine this with Swiss Halberdier's Additional Units Mod?

What niche do they fill on the battlefield? Between ashu and regular sam yari?

Perhaps give them a construction ability to make them a bit more attractive to have in your army, like stakes or bamboo wall, seeing as they work the land half the time etc to represent their hands on craft knowledge.
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Umm Samurai were not allowed to do most activities which include buying, selling or trading, basically anything that includes commerce along with farming and many others, feudal japan laws just would not allow them to. During times of peace they were however poor as they were given an allowance and had to live off of that, which in turn caused some of them to fall into criminal activities, However during times of peace many of them did become scholars, but they still practiced there martial skills daily. You have to remember samurai only comprised 10% of the total populace of japan, they were officers and leaders, very similar to european lords, dukes and counts, so i find it somewhat absurd that you would think such a high social class (even during peace) would do the job of a lowly farmer.

nice oda really need a better range of troops the new DLC unit is gay for oda

Quote Originally Posted by Practiti0ner View Post
    Umm Samurai were not allowed to do most activities which include buying, selling or trading, basically anything that includes commerce along with farming and many others, feudal japan laws just would not allow them to. During times of peace they were however poor as they were given an allowance and had to live off of that, which in turn caused some of them to fall into criminal activities, However during times of peace many of them did become scholars, but they still practiced there martial skills daily. You have to remember samurai only comprised 10% of the total populace of japan, they were officers and leaders, very similar to european lords, dukes and counts, so i find it somewhat absurd that you would think such a high social class (even during peace) would do the job of a lowly farmer.
    You're talking about the edo period, that's after the games time-frame. There were no laws prohibiting samurai from being farmers before that. Sure enough wealthier and/or more aristocratic samurai would frown upon the idea of them tilling land, but being a samurai could mean you were anything from shogun to rank-and-file infantryman. Many samurai far removed from the main lines of their clans served as vassals of vassals of vassals etc. They earned either very little or nothing, aside from being fed while fighting. Obviously they did other things than brandish their swords off campaigns.

Ji-samurai was a very real concept in the 16th century.

gerrit1919's Avatar Civis

Download?

DOWNLOAD PLS PLS PLS I WANT TO SEE MY ASHIGARU LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or they are not ashigaru? but i want this mod! PLS !

ShimazuClan's Avatar Civis

Download link please.

OP's last post was on 7/19, but his last log in date was 10/16. I think we just need to wait....

Ordinarius

Sorry I got your hopes up. I don't have the skills to make a new unit, but I can upload a .unit_variant file if you want to insert it into the unit variety mod and replace an existing unit.

Ordinarius

This is kind of pointless, but I was tired of ashigaru clone armies so I sprinkled a few "samurai" in the ashigaru unit. They're all helmetless, so I guess they represent the poor samurai, like yari ji-samurai.

This is only a unit_variant file that replaces the yari ashigaru. If anyone's interested and knows what to do with a unit_variant file I can upload it.