Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nature of Group Rape

Default Nature of Group Rape

I was wondering why is it that through-out human history, armies have often rape the people they conquer. I mean, I understand that after a sucessful siege they would start butchering the people, so as to steal their material things, but why rape them?

Is it just that those man were so horny that they couldn't control themselves, to the extent that they were willing to participate in a gang rape out of sexual hunger? Or is it that humans are like dogs in this sense; Dogs become more violent and disobedient when they join a large group of dogs. Are humans this way too? Is it simply that those man who participate in those rapes did it not for sexual satisfaction (for how can those man enjoy such short turn with the girl, in such circumstance) or for the feeling of power, but because they were in a large group of man and instictively tried to satisfy the other group members and the alpha males?

Furthermore, I am left wondering, are there other animals who rape? Would not a pact of male dogs, when meeting a lonely female dog (who is on her period) gang rape her, or will they start fighting for the female dog?

And I see a difference between a man raping a female, and a group of male humans raping a female. I suppose the difference lies in the motives. So I want to focus this discussion on the group rape which occur in circumstances like the after "partys" of sieges.

EDIT: Can a moderator change the title to; "Nature of Group Rape"
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

There reasoning is probably along the lines of "We fought to conquer these people, now we are going to reward ourselves by conquering the women"
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

Because you're horny, and there's only men around.
    So you go and rape women in a villlage.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Eh, I think its simply they are horny. And also there is no law after you take a city, anything goes. Plunder, kill, burn and yes rape! Why? Because we can! And besides...why do you think its always gang rape? Plenty of women to go around!
    Last edited by Scar Face; March 26, 2006 at 02:00 AM.

There reasoning is probably along the lines of "We fought to conquer these people, now we are going to reward ourselves by conquering the women"
    But I don't think that the soldiers get much pleasure out of it.

Eh, I think its simply they are horny. And also there is no law after you take a city, anything goes. Plunder, kill, burn and yes rape! Why? Because we can! And besides...why do you think its always gang rape? Plent of women to go around!
    Even so, I imagine that one would be with a comrade who would help you in such a deed. I imagine it would be something like one female for every five males.

The thing that bothers me about just accepting is just hornyness is that I don't think individualy, those man would have committed rape.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Also there is the fact that the next battle could be their last so they make every day count.
    So if he survives the battle and conquer the city he seize the moment by taking a woman(even if she don't like it) since maybe at the next battle he might not be so lucky.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

After experience incredible amounts of danger, people feel a natural urge to have sex. Some instinct tells a soldier that since he came so close to dying, he must spread his genes as soon as possible.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

well the soldiers weren't exactly nice upstanding citizens who had a high set of morals. The living conditions at the time shaped people into being more cruel and having less remorse, it's a survival mechanism I think.

Also, when soldiers (or other people) were in their home cities they couldn't just go around raping whoever they liked. There were laws against that, just like they're laws today. However, during a siege it was war and therefore the normal set of laws would not apply to the soldiers. In war it is ok to kill people, but if someone goes around killing random people he will be punished, it was the same thing back then. When the opportunity to rape presented itself without any laws to worry about the soldiers took it...

yeah, to put it short

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

because mankind is a nasty piece of work. to put it bluntly

I'd say it stems from a lack of "civilisation" and respect for women mostly, as women then werent exactly equal.
    I'd also say that whether it happened or not would depend on the person in command of the victorious army. Soldiers emulate their leaders to a certain extent, and if their leaders are restrained and civilised, then the soldiers are more likely to be.
    No evidence to prove that by the way, its just conjecture
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer

Soldiers emulate their leaders to a certain extent, and if their leaders are restrained and civilised, then the soldiers are more likely to be.
    No evidence to prove that by the way, its just conjecture
    well that fellow wellington wasn't too uncivilized I think, but his men went wild and raped when the english were in spain.

he called them animals or something similar...so obviously he did not approve of such behaviour but he didn't dare forbid his men to rape.

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Like i said, its only conjecture, but your example does disprove it a little.
    can anyone think of any other examples, particularly from ancient times?

Wasnt their something about Saladin when he conquered Jerusalem forbidding his soldiers from rampaging?
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer

Wasnt their something about Saladin when he conquered Jerusalem forbidding his soldiers from rampaging?
    I think Europeans kings at the time (maybe not all of them) saw Saladin as sensible and merciful. He did often spare enemy soldiers and civilians. I even think one european king was friends with saladin.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    I was wondering why is it that through-out human history, armies have often rape the people they conquer. I mean, I understand that after a sucessful siege they would start butchering the people, so as to steal their material things, but why rape them?

Is it just that those man were so horny that they couldn't control themselves, to the extent that they were willing to participate in a gang rape out of sexual hunger? Or is it that humans are like dogs in this sense; Dogs become more violent and disobedient when they join a large group of dogs. Are humans this way too? Is it simply that those man who participate in those rapes did it not for sexual satisfaction (for how can those man enjoy such short turn with the girl, in such circumstance) or for the feeling of power, but because they were in a large group of man and instictively tried to satisfy the other group members and the alpha males?

Furthermore, I am left wondering, are there other animals who rape? Would not a pact of male dogs, when meeting a lonely female dog (who is on her period) gang rape her, or will they start fighting for the female dog?

And I see a difference between a man raping a female, and a group of male humans raping a female. I suppose the difference lies in the motives. So I want to focus this discussion on the group rape which occur in circumstances like the after "partys" of sieges.

EDIT: Can a moderator change the title to; "Nature of Group Rape"
    at that time i can see me step back at the butchering and focus more on raping har har

at that time i can see me step back at the butchering and focus more on raping har har
    In contrast, I think I would prefer killing a women with my sword, then having her on the floor, as she screams and cries while I rape her.

I suppose this;

Also there is the fact that the next battle could be their last so they make every day count.
    So if he survives the battle and conquer the city he seize the moment by taking a woman(even if she don't like it) since maybe at the next battle he might not be so lucky.
    And this;

After experience incredible amounts of danger, people feel a natural urge to have sex. Some instinct tells a soldier that since he came so close to dying, he must spread his genes as soon as possible.
    Must answer my question. I suppose those soldiers where pretty desperate to have some sex too.

Kurt Vonnegut

let's not forget that rape is an assertion of control.

Sřren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Title changed, at request

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

May be just because the plessure? By the way, not just women, young boys also got rape during the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987
    May be just because the plessure? By the way, not just women, young boys also got rape during the war.
    you are talking about the greek wars? lol

thread renamed, haha, i thought its a new more specific threat..

what about nature of gang bang..or nature of doggy style rape..or the nature of dick

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

I've actually seen reports on studies about the group sex phenomenon (not necessarily group rape per se, but group sex). The conclusions, which you can take or leave, were that men who see a woman having sex with multiple men experience arousal, not because they're excited by men but because it activates an instinctive competitive impulse. Deep in some dark corner of a man's psyche, if he sees a bunch of men boinking a woman there's a primitive area of his brain that says "I gotta get in there and outgun their sperm with my own!"

It is also noteworthy that the "helmet" shape on a man's penis has a tendency to "scoop out" other mens' sperm during the thrusting action of sex, which is consistent with this Darwinistic competitive instinct.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

Several reasons why soldiers would rape:

1. The people they attacked might have been antagonistic, and they might feel the need to take out their anger, especially since it's a group, on the women.

2. They spend so much time with men that they inherently feel horny after a bit of time.

3. When you're in a group you tend to feel safer doing stupid things. You generally will never see one teenager pulling a big prank by himself because there's no one to share the blame and the fun with. Albeit it's pretty dark fun.

4. In that context, who cares about intimacy? That's one of the cases where people have sex for the sex, not for the love.

5. More so in the mid-1900's and before, soldiers were encouraged to think the enemy were animals. They were told that an enemy to their country is an enemy to humanity and were fed propaganda endlessly. Why not do something for your country and look like a patriot? Oh right, they're human.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast