Thread: Simple battle tactics

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Simple battle tactics

So I am bored, and I have decided to write up some simple battle tactics along with I use for when I play. This is mainly for Gondor, but theoretically could be used for any faction. You may disagree or agree, but these are what I use.

1. For my "field armies", I use a simple formula for the types of soldiers and how many of each I use. While this works well for a full stack, it can be modified for smaller armies:

2-4 Spear Units: For my regular armies, this can be either the Spearmen, Dol Amroth Guardsmen, or Citadel Guards (I rarely use them for this tactic). I deploy them on the flanks to discourage any cavalry flank attack (whether from cavalry-strong factions or even against Wargs, which can still be a pain). For my militia/regional armies, guardsmen or even sellsword spears are good. Even if the enemy cavalry manages to get around them, the units are still in a position to at least give chase to them.

5-7 Archer units: Obviously, to kill as many soldiers as possible. I put them in front of my main line whether I am on the offensive or defensive, and I kill as many enemies as possible before I either enter melee combat or run out of arrows. When the enemy charges against my archers, I bring them back as fast as possible. If the enemy retreats when the archers flee before them, I reform my archers and have them shoot at the enemies backs. Normally, the enemy will charge again, and I simply repeat. When I am facing beasts (Mumaks, Fell Beasts, or Trolls) I normally have my archers conserve a good amount of arrows for when those beasts get closer and have them fire. For Fell Beasts, it's pretty much the only way to kill them. For Gondor, use Ithilien Rangers or Greenhill's when you can, but even Yeomen are good. When you think you might need them, Blackroot Archers are rare to come by (unless you make them recruitable in settlements like I have), but their skill can really save your butt in a major battle.

1-3 Cavalry Units: For your field armies, I really suggest having AT LEAST one cavalry unit. They are expensive and take a long time to recruit but they are invaluable in running down fleeing enemies. Also, they are really helpful in a pinch to take down trolls and Mumaks. They will likely lose a large percentage of their men but they can really save you if they are attacking vulnerable units (like light infantry and archers). Keep enough alive and they can quickly bring in valuable experience as well as inflict massive casualties on the enemy. If you have to, recruit Freeriders or Free lancers. They are not as good and they are fairly rare to find, but they will definitely do the job.

The rest: The rest is really up to you. I have a set pattern for when I am going up against Mordor. When my army is led by a general with Citadel Guards as a bodyguard, I use the general in the center, behind the main line of infantry. They are there to help against any beasts that may threaten the front. That main line is composed of a vast majority of swordsmen or other bladed infantry. In my militia/garrison forces, these consist of city guards (not a unit in the game but you can easily unlock them for use..they have files and everything. You just need to provide the stats). In my regular armies, I mostly use men at arms, but I occasionally make use of other types of infantry like axemen. I also try to ensure that I have at least one unit of shock troops (Winged Swordsmen in this case) for use in either flanking or taking on beasts. On the bridge between Celongarth and Harondor, there is a ford downstream that I use to flank the enemy once the remaining soldiers are all on the bridge, and there is ALWAYS a unit of winged swordsmen in that flanking force.

I normally don't use javelin throwers (Rohirrim Militia or Marines). They don't really do much for me. But that is up to you. I will use Rohirrim Militia for garrison duties, though. Since I don't use them, I can't really provide any tactics on them.

Additional tips:

Beware that the unit that has the officer or general is always tougher to take down than an equivalent unit without an officer. That being said, kill the general if you get the chance. If he is the last unit on the field, send literally EVERYONE to fight and surround him. When it comes to fighting against Nazgul with cavalry guards, however, I sometimes let them go because if I kill them they could come back mounted on Fell Beasts.

Kill everyone on the field if you can. Every enemy that dies contributes to your experience.

Keep your archers out of danger. Even well armored archers are still not going to last long in melee combat. If they are out of ammunition and they are about to be attacked, make them run and tire out the pursuing enemy. Don't use them in melee unless the battle is going badly.

Kill everyone on the field if you can. Every enemy that dies contributes to your experience.

Keep your general or officer close to the hardest fighting unless his unit is needed elsewhere. He will inspire the soldiers to fight harder.

Don't engage in melee if you can win the battle with only ranged combat. This is especially true if you are the attacking force. Deep in enemy territory, it can take a long time to replenish unnecessary casualties.

Kill everyone on the field if you can. Every enemy that dies contributes to your experience. (Get it yet?)

Sorry if some of these are obvious. If you disagree with something, please explain why. I won't mind hearing some other tactics.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Default Re: Simple battle tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    When it comes to fighting against Nazgul with cavalry guards, however, I sometimes let them go because if I kill them they could come back mounted on Fell Beasts.
    if you have good archers, fellbeast is an easier target than a unit of dark riders, i guess.
    arise! arise riders of theoden!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phobos451 View Post
    if you have good archers, fellbeast is an easier target than a unit of dark riders, i guess.
    Yeah, but you don't always have good archers...And I have killed 3 groups of Darkriders before and they all returned as Fellbeasts along with a very large army...It was a slaughter

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

fell beast are annoying because only archers can hit them, with the horsemen anyone can engage, but get a few units of archers and the fell beast are dead beasts

my tactic for Mordor to win fast and early is to spam Snaga stacks to spam everyone. full stack in 2 turns and so cheap. Also i just pull all units out of cities since they dont need them at all in the beginning and its populates stay happy.

i just use the Nazgul as generals and let them die since they are immortal and keep the killable ones in my capital

Blog Entries

I'm just going to give this a bump for the lulz.

creedastic's Avatar Laetus

Nice tactics

Spear-men at the front with about 1000 archers at the back = WIN rofl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by creedastic View Post
    Nice tactics

Spear-men at the front with about 1000 archers at the back = WIN rofl.
    1,000 archers with ANYTHING in front pretty much always wins, but 1k archers is overkill, especially for Gondor. I still like some challenge
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; April 19, 2012 at 04:41 PM.