Page 59 of 437 FirstFirst ... 93449505152535455565758596061626364656667686984109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 8729

Thread: Name that Battle!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Name that Battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Yes of coure! +rep! And now to you the next, Mausolos!

I like posting Italian defeats!
    Haha, that wasn't hard for me, my family originates from Austria And Austria did not have a lot of sea battles in its history...

Here is mine: I admit the depiction isn't as great as some we have seen on here, so I'll give some hints if no one gets close.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welche Schlacht ist das.jpg  
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Instead it is a wonderful drawing! really wonderful thanks!

I like this thread!

I don't know the battle but ... I write what I think: XIV cent.?

- From the weapons, the armors and mainly the helmets (bascinets) I suppose it might be a battle set during the XIV century, maybe the second half of the century....

- The hat of the mounted man reminds me the hats of the Renaissance Italy, so the style, the shadows and the attempted perspective, might suggest that the Renaissance is already started, so second half of the century.

- The men holdings halberds or bills and pikes might suggest Swiss warfare, but also English, if the banner has a cross of Saint George I should suppose we are watching English troops or Burgundians....maybe 100YW? ....

- Or Burgundian Wars?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Definitely late 1400s, either Burgundy or Italy

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Late 1400's my arse, not with that gear. The picture looks like it's from around 1390-1430, but what it depicts? It could be anything, really, since medieval arists stuck contemporary gear on everyone.

Judging by the fact that there's a fighting king involved, I'd wager it's in Spain. Clues?

Patrician

I meant mid 1400s cause Burgundy wasn't doing much in the late 1400s. I don't think that it's Spanish but if it were then I will guess Setenil or Higuerela.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Pikes, king with an axe, castle in the background... Perhaps it's Bannockburn?

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Late 1400's my arse, not with that gear. The picture looks like it's from around 1390-1430, but what it depicts? It could be anything, really, since medieval arists stuck contemporary gear on everyone.

Judging by the fact that there's a fighting king involved, I'd wager it's in Spain. Clues?
    when someone writes XIV century he means 1300 AD!!!!! So XV cent is 1400, XVI cent. is 1500 and so on....

He said 1400's, otherwise known as the 15th century.
    Last edited by Darth Red; March 13, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Yes, the battle is from the 14th century and the painting is from the early 15th century. You seemed to be far away from having a right idea with Spain, Italy or Burgundy, but out of the blue Blatta came up with the right solution, it is indeed the Scottish victory over the English at BANNOCKBURN in 1314! Congrats
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

That was very much a tongue-in-cheek answer, based on the fact that there's a king with an axe and long spears in the picture.

Someone else please give the picture, I'm on my phone, without access to a proper pc atm.

Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Dat Picture.....

is the guy in the middle Napoleon III? some reason i thinked him instatnly when i see this picture

Dunno, the white caps suggest it's the foreign legion. Something in North Africa, most like.

From what I can tell we have Dutch flags being used by the French Foreign Legion as they ride into battle against Pacific Pioneer Pirates

War with Aceh? Unlikely, I know but the cow in the corner might help a little.
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Cooool! French-Mexican war in America?

Patrician

I don't think it is the French-Mexican war, but the red flags seem to suggest that the blue uniforms are South American. Remember, not only France used French uniforms.

All wrong lol, just because it is blue doesnt means it is french, nor US... if you guys want i'll give a hint, although it will probably give it away completely...
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

I spot there the flag of the Empire of Brazil. Being a brazilian battle should be against other South American country, so that "dutch" flag could be in fact from Paraguay. But i´m not too skilled in south american military history so I can´t answer.