Page 57 of 437 FirstFirst ... 73247484950515253545556575859606162636465666782107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 8729

Thread: Name that Battle!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Name that Battle!

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    <p>
    Yes it is the established norm, if someone gets the answer then you give them rep.</p>
    <p>
    Although there has been three people that haven't given me rep, but that is fine with me since I don't horde the stuff.</p>
    Then you owe me rep Well if you want to give it, I don't mind too much, on the new TWC skin it doesn't really make a difference anymore, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Poland? Seven Years War?....not easy!

I see some Hussar, maybe a greanadier white coated, but it's a strange atmosphere.....
    Not Poland, but the other points you made are right I should say that it portrays the evening of the battle, after the fights just finished, and they are singing a song.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    I should say that it portrays the evening of the battle, after the fights just finished, and they are singing a song.
    Hmmm, so maybe the battle of Hohenfriedberg ?

Quote Originally Posted by Condestável View Post
    Hmmm, so maybe the battle of Hohenfriedberg ?
    Nope, but a pretty similar one it is.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Nope, but a pretty similar one it is.
    So it must be Leuthen!

Quote Originally Posted by Condestável View Post
    So it must be Leuthen!
    Yes, well done! This is the ''Choral von Leuthen''. After the Prussian victory, Friedrich the Great and his troops sang the Protestant song ''Nun danket alle Gott'' (now let's all thank God), which is portrayed on the picture. Have some rep, you go next

Cool!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Europe? Not feeling the America in this one.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Malborough!...but what battle?

It's early XVIII because the surcoats aren't turend back on the legs, strange thing is that the banner seems belonging to a Swiss regiment but the Uniform is of the Gardes Francaises!! While the grey French Regiment might be the Rgt. Du Roi from the colors, but many had similar colors....

The British banner has not the red cross into the white cross, this detail confirms me that we are at the beginning of the century....the Brit Regiment might be the 3d regt. of Foote or the 'Buffs', from the colors and silver buttons....

So a part the fact that with the infantry in the mud I would launch a Regt of Hussars to flank attack and wipe out the poor men in the water,....I don't know the name of the battle!

It might be Malplaquet then? (If this is right, Diocle is next because he actually solved it )

Europe? Not feeling the America in this one.
    Yes, Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Malborough!...but what battle? It's early XVIII...
    Yes, Marlborough! And correct again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolus of Caria View Post
    It might be Malplaquet then?
    Not Malplaquet.

Patrician

Battle of Blenheim? The burning house sort of gave it away. I knew that it was before the Austrian Succession War but it could have also been in America.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Not Blenheim, but we are getting close...
    In the background you can see the cavalry wating. They've been told, with error, that the terrain in front of them is a swamp, so they can´t assist the infantry.

And this is the location of the image today.
    Last edited by Condestável; March 11, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Patrician

Battle of Oudenaarde?

Battle of Oudenaarde?

+rep!

Fair enough, I did not get it, but I learned that Höchstädt is called Blenheim in English Strange things happen. It's money's turn again then, or should I say the terminator.

Patrician

Both are the same battle.

I have to spread the rep before giving it to you money, but I didn´t forget.
    Clearly, XVIII century owns this topic, lol.

Fuzz's Avatar Libertus

I'm awful at eighteenth century battles, but I'll try nevertheless.

Is it...the Battle of Dettingen, 1743? >.<

America's? Either I'm a rascist or there are some buckskin wearing indians in that picture.

I'm gonna guess Battle of Quebec 1759, though it could be the 1775 one.

EDIT: AH-HA! Close. Battle of Sainte-Foy 1760, just outside of Quebec.
    Last edited by DarthShizNit; March 12, 2013 at 06:51 AM.

Delete me