Page 56 of 437 FirstFirst ... 63146474849505152535455565758596061626364656681106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 8729

Thread: Name that Battle!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Name that Battle!

....no turban at all, money!........But remember money: thou hast extorted to me this clue, money!.......

....as said Don Vito Corleone: One day I might ask you for a clue, money.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I would encourage your asking me of a clue. But I don't really know now which battle. It must be something other than the Dutch revolt since I'm about 90% sure that it's not the Dutch revolt.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

....indeed. No Turban, no Dutch.

You are on the right track, money...........you have two options now......but if you look at the Cavalry,......the lances I mean,......one option......might be discarded......

It looks to me that it's from the French Wars of Religion...
    Last edited by Condestável; March 08, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Condestável View Post
    It looks to me that it's from the French Wars of Religion...

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Bingo!

So, I think the "guys with turbans" money pointed out in the bottom are in fact french catholic dragoons and they are fighting the hugenots. After a quick check, this is the battle of Moncontour.

Yes!!!!!

Moncontour 1569!

compliments Condestavel, have you noticed how the pike blocks were now already very similar to those of the 30YW? While cavalry is still using lances the Caracol with firearms has already started, in the centre we can see some ritters with pistols! Fascinating age the second half of the XVI century!

To you the next and +rep!

Patrician

Wow and I actually looked at every battle in the Protestant War of France and couldn't find it. I knew it had to be that one though since the weapons and armour looked like it was before 1600.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    compliments Condestavel, have you noticed how the pike blocks were now already very similar to those of the 30YW? While cavalry is still using lances the Caracol with firearms has already started, in the centre we can see some ritters with pistols! Fascinating age the second half of the XVI century!
    Yes, we could already at that time note the change in warfare that was taking place. "Pike and shot" period is also my favorite.

Should be easy.

Patrician

Battle of Fontenoy but backwards and zoomed in on Louis XV and Maurice de Saxe.

Ahah that was quick..you got the +rep

Patrician

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

The Battle of Jemgum. But being German and having the Latin date of the battle at the bottom clearly helped
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Patrician

You are right, but I actually read it and I didn't see the name written on the bottom my mistake.
    Your turn!

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    You are right, but I actually read it and I didn't see the name written on the bottom my mistake.
    Your turn!
    Yeah it's not there, but it describes the battle and together with the date that gave it away

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welche Schlacht.jpg  
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

I think I can recognize the prussian eagle in one of these flags, so maybe they are prussian. But the cross is confusing me a little. Also, it's probably from the 18th century, but I can´t still figure out what battle is...nice challenge.

Patrician

Are those Native Americans in the back? I can't even see it.

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    Are those Native Americans in the back? I can't even see it.
    Nope. Condestável is closer to it

Also, I haven't participated here before, do you also give rep to the winners?

Patrician

<p>
    Yes it is the established norm, if someone gets the answer then you give them rep.</p>
    <p>
    Although there has been three people that haven&#39;t given me rep, but that is fine with me since I don&#39;t horde the stuff.</p>

Poland? Seven Years War?....not easy!

I see some Hussar, maybe a greanadier white coated, but it's a strange atmosphere.....