Thread: Name that Battle!

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Name that Battle!

Nope, but you are a year out lol
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; February 25, 2014 at 04:09 PM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

The first battle of Höchstädt? Because I meant the second one before since it's more famous.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Yep around the time of the first battle but I have basically given it away already!

Battle of the Schellenberg? It's more close to the Second battle but when I typed it in google pictures, yours came up
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Yes, Storming of the Schellenberg is correct, your turn!!

Thanks! Sorry I was a bit busy today, but here's the next battle:

Don't open in a new tab since the URL would give it away. Be nice!

Battle of Fehrbellin during the Scanian War, known as Prussia's (Brandenburg at the time) baptism by fire.

Your turn.

My days of studying the Swedish Empire paid off .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ViveLaFrance.jpg  

I can barely make it out on my phone but I'm guessing something to do with the French-Indian War? White coats vs Red coats!

Hmm. Analysis time. No tricornes. Late 18th century. Brit grenadiers on the right. Definitely French attackers. Yorktown?
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

The storming of the 9th redoubt at Yorktown, correct!

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Sacheon?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

No. Clue: Curb stomp battle.

Battle of Myeongnyang?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Korean vs Japanese ? In between the 14th to 17th century I would say. No clue which battle though. Maybe I'm not even close !
    The Black Box
    My custom Gaming PC
    http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Dnt

Markas is correct! A curb stomp battle by a numerically inferior force of 13 ships led by Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, Korea's Nelson against 133 Japanese vessels.

'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

necronox's Avatar ▬▬ι═══════- -═══════ιι▬

that's the battle of marignano during the war of the league of Cambray, september 1515, decisive franco-venetian victory against the swiss, the battle was mostly a stalemate until the venetian forces came, before the that the superior numbers of the french mostly equaled in effectiveness the less-numerous swiss, which lost mostly due to their failure to capture enemy guns early on in the battle and their ineffective command structure coupled with venetian re-inforcements.
    Last edited by necronox; February 28, 2014 at 08:24 PM.