Thread: Name that Battle!

Default Re: Name that Battle!

Nice painting, especially the colours. It depicts the battle of Lowestoft, one of the most embarrassing defeats of the Dutch Navy. The ship in the foreground is the Dutch flagship Eendracht, which was blown up, during the same battle.

Pretty fast! Yes, the Battle of Lowestoft in june 1665 (England (109 ships) VS Dutch Republic (103 ships)).
    rep and your turn.

Thanks! Next one is from a relatively obscure military engagement. The English version of Wikipedia for example has not dedicated a page for that battle, although there is a nice and not so small article about the general KIA. As an extra hint, someone could say that everything started after a famous slap, taking place more than forty years after the depicted battle and death, which initiated a long series of events, including the battle.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Bah, I'm almost certain I know the incident and the country it took place in, but I'm finding it tough to find the specific battle depicted above!

Edit: Is it the battle of Alpens??
    Last edited by IrishBlood; May 18, 2016 at 09:48 AM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Something en Mehico I think. Si, I think it is in Mehico.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Something en Mehico I think. Si, I think it is in Mehico.
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    Bah, I'm almost certain I know the incident and the country it took place in, but I'm finding it tough to find the specific battle depicted above!?
    IrishBlood is on the right direction, although Alpens is not the correct answer, since the battle in question occurred a bit more to the west. Finding the war was the tough part, there were not many generals from the winning side that were killed in action, not to mention that the battle is a bit more famous than the rest, due to its decisive outcome, despite the temporary victorious side being eventually defeated again, for the third time in a row.

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Battle of Abàrzuza

Exactly. General de la Concha failed to breach the Carlist defenses, in order to reach the stronghold of Carlos "VII", the town of Estella, offering to the rebels what could be described as the most prominent Carlist victory of the Third Carlist War. The slap I mentioned in my first post, was Princess Carlotta's punching Calomarde, when the audacious prime-minister almost convinced Ferdinand VII to ignore her niece's rights to the Spanish throne, in favour of his brother. No problem, though, because manos blancas no offenden.

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks, anyone can be next

OK. Fine.

Battle of BlackFire pass?
    Sources total war YouTube channel.
    The men on horses are Goblins.
    You can tell the Empire soldiers with there boat styled helmets.
    Last edited by BrafianBlackFyre; May 19, 2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Miss spelled word ;-;

Quote Originally Posted by BrafianBlackFyre View Post
    Battle of BlackFire pass?
    Sources total war YouTube channel.
    The men on horses are Goblins.
    You can tell the Empire soldiers with there boat styled helmets.
    Erm... no this was a real battle

In fact, the uniform of the riders and the timeframe should make it relatively easy to find, I guess.

Senator

The Polish Hussaria charging in the Battle of Kahlenberg ending the second Siege of Vienna?

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    The Polish Hussaria charging in the Battle of Kahlenberg ending the second Siege of Vienna?
    No, but the riders are indeed Polish Hussars (Winged Hussars) of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Well, both sides are clear (by armor) but may not guess the battle correct. But can be Battle of Kircholm by any chance? One major battle between these two. Actually Battle of Kircholm is the only real battle between these two lol. Btw, if naming another battle isn't against rules, I can add one more guess to this post
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Falcon View Post
    Well, both sides are clear (by armor) but may not guess the battle correct. But can be Battle of Kircholm by any chance? One major battle between these two. Actually Battle of Kircholm is the only real battle between these two lol. Btw, if naming another battle isn't against rules, I can add one more guess to this post
    Congratulations, that's the battle of Kircholm in 1605 (Poland-Lithuania (3,600 men) VS Sweden (10,868 men); one of the greatest triumphs of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth cavalry).
    Rep + your turn.
    Last edited by krips22; May 21, 2016 at 03:20 AM.

Hah, thanks mate!

Anyone can take my turn
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

The battle of Tanga!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    The battle of Tanga!
    That's correct, the battle of Tanga in early november 1914.
    8,000 UK/commonwealth soldiers VS 1,000 Germans and east African soldiers, ending in a German victory.
    Rep + your turn.