Thread: Name that Battle!

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Name that Battle!

The image is indeed listed in various places as Royal Marines at Tel-El-Kefir, problem is I don't think there were any Royal Marines at that battle.

Mad orc's painting has been pinned so many times the variously incorrect IDs have self-proliferated. Until that painting can be properly attributed it will have to go into the 'online FUBAR' basket.

It does however seem to depict a late Victorian battle against a foe in Islamic costume. Not much outside of the Egyptian or Ethiopian actions really fit that bill. I think it is likely the battle is Tel-El-Kebir with the regiment wrongly identified as Marines.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; December 13, 2017 at 07:47 AM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The dead guys look like Sudanese troops to me. So it probably is Tel el-Kebir, that or something in the Mahdi War maybe.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

I googled the image, it says that it is the Royal Marines in the Boxer Rebellion. Though in my opinion that cannot be the case because A) they have brown skin, B) they are dressed like the Sudanese units in the British army and C) they do not have queue hairstyles but rather a fez with tassles

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Good list and image source for all the battles of the Egyptian campaign here - each hot-linked to the next in chronological order and listing the units in action for each battle. Extensive accompanying images including photos, paintings and schematics. Painting in dispute does not appear anywhere in this history of the campaign which suggests it may be known to be problematic.

Patrician

The Royal Marine Light Infantry and 2nd Cold Stream Guards used blue uniforms. Both fought at Tel el Kebir. Chances are that this is the battle in question, in fact behind them you can clearly see the hills of which Tel el Kebir are named for (Tel meaning hill).
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 13, 2017 at 09:40 PM.

So who's next or should i post another image.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The Royal Marine Light Infantry and 2nd Cold Stream Guards used blue uniforms. Both fought at Tel el Kebir. Chances are that this is the battle in question, in fact behind them you can clearly see the hills of which Tel el Kebir are named for (Tel meaning hill).
    The Royal Marine Light Infantry were on the Egyptian campaign but are not listed in the order of battle for Tel-el-Kebir in the source I linked @#6344. If you are basing the assumption that the 2nd Cold Stream Guards used blue uniforms on the painting of them embarking in London for the campaign (same source: British Battles.com), click on the painting and take a closer look - you can see their red tunics peeking out the top of what are their overcoats. I looked and couldn't find any reference to Cold Stream guards using a blue strip. Duke of Cornwalls 2nd light infantry battalion might have used a blue uniform that came with colonial regiments that were consolidated into Cornwalls light infantry only a year earlier under the 1881 Childers army reforms (a regiment from New Zealand definitely used a blue tunic and I know that Australian colonial regiments were also using a blue tunic in the late Victorian era - I recall a photo from the boxer rebellion). Keep in mind these colonial regiments were British Army Regiments and would have previously used red tunics when on campaign with the British Army, but the Sudan actions are only a year after the Childers reforms and I think a lot of things were in flux. Some paintings I've seen suggest that the highlanders used a blue/dark tunic in the Sudan - but they also wore tartan trousers not present in the picture in question.

It's great that we are getting to learn a lot of exciting history but gentlemen err..............what about the game's future?

Scharfrichter was first to answer, so how about giving him next go.

Yup,Scharfrichter will have the next go.Somebody please contact him and tell him about this.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Scharfrichter has not logged-in in nearly three weeks.

Tell you what,if he doesnt arrives why dont 'I' have another go..
    Though i hope he arrives.

To get things going...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	349967

A great Ottoman miniature from the Süleymannâme. It depicts the siege of Rhodes (1522) by Süleiman the Magnificent against the Knights of Saint John.

Correct, I should have expected it would be very easy for you!

Thanks, I didn't remember it, but it was one of the first results, after searching Ottoman miniature-Janissary". Next one depicts a rather bloody battle. The red walls could be a very helpful hint:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Battle of Smolensk 1812?

Correct! The red walls belong to the Kremlin of Smolensk, the city's fortress.

Something easy, almost for beginners

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That small sized fortress clearly indicates only one place.
    Fuengirola.
    Battle of Fuengirola.