Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Servius listened to the Carthaginian speak. The mad was Educated which was a rare among those people. But that did not mean he was not foolish. The man had come at the wrong time and no noble senator would give him what he demanded. Servius felt like insulting the man but held his tongue. He knew better. He stood up to speak.

" Carthaginian you have no right to speak to this noble body. Your foul gods and your false ways ruin our polish floors of this very Curia. But since you are hear and that takes courage. I would just say that no noble senator would support your motion at all. Your people have killed thousands of Romans. Your gods are false as they teach you to sacrifice children ! . But mostly.. You wish to take back a city that we earned though war. Why because you claim you have men that could defeat Roman Armies. Ha !. The gods will favor us in any battle against you. Your gods are false and they will not protect you from Roman Arms. "

Servius looked at the other senators " Remember this Noble senators. Carthaginians have no honor and no respect for us. They will teach the people of Sicly false beliefs and false gods will have their temples in the city if we allow them to take it over. They want to limit our army because they fear us. They fear what we might do to them. That is the only reason they come here. Because they are afraid of us. I agree with the Consul on this matter. They are allowed to trade us limited goods. But that is it. "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus walks back into the Senate house, looking refreshed and revived, a glint in his eye that had been absent for months. He hears the words of the past few speakers, words of wrath and distaste. When another is about to start his round of abuse Marcus buts in before he has the chance in a strong booming voice...

Prince of the Poenii, you come here bearing terms for us to willingly roll over and take, as if we were simpletons. I personally do not like these terms and they have obviously been to much for some of my esteemed colleagues honour, thus you have been shouted at and abused in every form.

I, on the other hand, prefer to conduct myself in a more dignified manner, and my honour dictates that i must treat a diplomat, from whichever nation, with the utmost respect his rank deserves.
    He nods to the Prince, then walks over to the center of the floor,...

I am willing to negotiate with Carthage, but let me first say my piece. You have come to Roma, sent by your superiors, to demand the surrender of our city to your seemingly victorious nation. You come here telling us the war is over, he looks around increduosly, but i will tell you sir, the war has only just begun! I would not, in my professional opinion call that quick skirmish a war by any great length, and if a small battle won over a foolish general is what the Poenii think a war entails, well I believe we are going to win hands down! laughter from the Curia.

You say that we do not have any army remaining, well let me tell you something. Unlike Carthage, where you struggle to get your own men to serve in your armies, so much so you resort to untrustworthy mercenaries; In Roma, every single man can fight in the Legions, and it is a great honour to do so! So if you do not think the entire male population of Roma is a threat, well sir, he laughs, you are sadly mistaken.

So now we must come to the negotiations, though I do not have the power to start the proceedings, that is reserved for the Consul's, but I will say one final thing.

You by now know that Roma is far from defeated, and this war could drag on indefinantly, so, I think rather than trying to take lands and wealth from us, you should be trying to sue for peace, for a ceasefire! Your Poenii lords started this war, but if you wish war to continue, we will finish it!

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius, seemingly affected by his friend's diplomatic manners, turns to the diplomat.

So, senators! What terms should we, the senate, tell to the punic?

He eyed the Curia with disbelief on his face. He was just hoping that the senators would keep civilized, unlike himself or the celt..
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Surrender? Carthage never called for surrender, for she knows that word is far too much for Roman pride to swallow. If Carthage had asked for surrender she ask for reparations from Roma to compesate for the damage caused and to punish the defeated. Rome is not yet defeated, for you still own all of italy. No Carthage calls for peace, for while she considers her military situation far superior to yours at this moment in time. To be quite frank we do not wish to invest the required money only to shed bood. Whatever you may think of your Italy Carthage does not covet it, for it is mountainous, only has one area that can be profitably mined and its tribes have a particular reputation of not admitting defeat, you Romans have experienced many rebellions have you not?

If Cartage wanted only peace it would not have supplied Pirates and Murderers, if you truly want peace give up Corsica and Sardinia, these islands are of little financial importance and the natives are a dirty, rebellious lot. In return we would be willing to give up all of Sicily with the exception of Messana and recognize Carthaginian control of Iberia.

That is, if the rest of the senators agree...

He looked to the diplomat:

If your masters do not want to send a force, why should we accept? Your threats mean nothing.

By the way, you have failed to answer to one question Caldius asked: are you one of the Barcists or the anti-barcists?

He then turned to Caldius

So you'd take "dirty natives" instead of prosperous towns? Now, that would be something what'd really hurt Rome!
    Last edited by Maiar93; July 27, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Faustus stood and looked directly at the Punic diplomat. "If it is war you want, we will fight you wherever your wish!" Faustus walked from his seat and made his way towards the diplomat. "Leave these sacred halls and never return your scarred, god-forsaken self to this city. If your King asks you why you were turned away with no word from the Roman Senate you tell him that he will have our word as we are dismantling your civilization city by city and taking your treasures." Faustus stood, fists clenched at his side infront of the diplomat.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Servius listened to the senator and nodded his head before standing to speak " I agree with the Senator and i urge this body to agree with him also. War is the only way that this Dispute is going to be solved. the Carthaginians do not deserve to be free people. They deserved to be enslaved by us and that their children fill our Slave markets as we should kill all the elders in every Carthaginian city we take over!. I might not fully support Slavery. but I will make a exception for Carthaginian slaves as that is what all Carthaginians should become slaves to Romans !. Even Roman plebs deserve Carthaginian slaves "

Servius was about to move the senator away from the Diplomat. But decided that words will be enough " Senator. Leave the Diplomat alone. Let him run to his King and tell him that Romans will kill him because they had this coming for a long time. Let him run to his king telling him that they will lose millions of people to Roman blades. Let fear drive him mad.. As he realized that he just committed his whole nation to death.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

OOC: Seriously would you all shut up with the 300 lite !

Silence fools, I would suggest you take your homicidal urges elsewhere, it is senators like yourselves who have led Roman Citizens to their deaths.
    Last edited by War lord; July 27, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

I retract my previous statements. I was not knowing what a great crisis we are in, so I now personally believe we should have an unconditional surrender to Carthage
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Flavius looked to Caldius.

We lead romans into freedom. Living under the shackled of Carthage is honourable and good, you say? We would be reduced to the same small closed-in and poor nation we once were. Do you not see how beneficial this is to the punics? These are terms we will never agree, and now when he has showed he has no intention to negotiate the terms over again, i am surprised why have we not already slaughtered his "guards" and drove the man away from this sacred place!

Caldius rolls his eyes.

Then I propose we take a poll.

1. Unconditional surrender on Carthage's terms.
    2. Negotiation of a ceasefire which respects the demands of both Carthage and Rome.
    3. Rejection of any agreement with Carthage.
    And may the Gods help us.

The stupidity of his fellow senators amazed Sophus. What was wrong with these men? Thousands of death, loss of great amounts of money. We get a peace offer and what do these men have as an answer? More war. Marcus stood up, walked forward and pointed at Caldius. With a slight angry tone he said.

'This is the first time that I must agree with our fellow senator Caldius. What has gotten into you lot? We have suffered a horrible defeat, we have lost so many good soldiers, sons of Rome. Now this kind Carthaginian diplomat comes to us with the proposal to negotiate a peace and what do you gentlemen do? Ask for more war. Carthage and Rome are the two most powerful nations on the world, instead of working together we are trying to kill eachother. Nothing good can come from such wars.' He paused a while to catch his breath.

'Perhaps the great nations of Carthage and Rome could make an arrangement. It is certain that Carthage can mount an invasion force to our coasts but realistic Carthaginians also know that we Romans can field mighty armies. So instead of making a loser, let's make two winners. The isles of Corsica and Sardinia for Rome and the whole of Sicily for Carthage. And we will make a naval treaty, we Romans don't have much with the sea, we can live with a smaller fleet. Let Carthage field the mighty ships. And last but not least, an alliance so both of our nations stand strong against barbarians that surround us.'

He walked back to his seat and awaited reactions. Warmongering fools everywhere..
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

I agree to all of this but the alliance, Sophus, because another war is most likely because of Dido's curse. Neither Carthaginian nor Roman honour should be tarnished. I would also add that Carthage is the recognized ruler of Iberia, so we would not interfere. I hope other senators will agree to those demands.
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

I second the Motion.

Servius laughed before speaking" So you wish for those Carthaginians to enslave our people ?. That is going to happen if you give them those lands. They will Enslave our people and sacfice our children to their false gods. I rather our men fight to the death then be Slaves to Barbarians. At least then they died with Honor and respect. Senators would you rather have our people enslaved or would you rather them die with honor !. I rather have our people die with Honor than be slaves."

Servius sipped some wine before speaking" Since when do the Children of mars try to make peace with our Sworn enemy ?. and for what..Because some senators feel that we do not have a army ?. That is not true we do have a army a powerful army that hungers to be used for warfare. So will some senators turn on the gods by accepting peace with our sworn enemies !. Do you really want our people to be Enslaved ?. Think about that before deciding senators. As of now I do not support the motion "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Servius, what we are thinking of giving to Carthage is not even our land. We aquired it through Corvenus' rampage, so the people probably don't want to be Roman controled. You speak of helping our people, but all that will happen is they die for no purpose! We need to talk peace now, and war later on down the road.

Servius laughed again" The land that we had acquired is still our land regardless. We will be giving land to the Enemy and making them more powerful. Is this what you want Senator. Do you want the Carthaginians to be powerful and our equals ? . Do you want to see our people enslaved by them regardless if they accept Roman rule or not they are our people. They give us their taxes and we provide them with support. How would the other citys feel when they see their mother nation give away land like it was nothing. And you speak of peace. Well peace will never come between Romans and Carthaginians ! and if their was a push for peace. I will do whatever I can to prevent it !. "

Servius looked at the other senators " Do we allow our mortal Enemy to gain the upper hand with the prospect of peace which they already proven by breaking a treaty with us already. Would we allow them to break another treaty with us ?. "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

You fool! If we do not stop this bickering Carthage will take us by surprise and defeat us because we cannot make a decision. I beg all of you, PLEASE push for peace, no matter what any naive senators say. The land in Sicily is only recognized ours by Romans. We should focus on defeating enemies, not killing those who would stand in the way of mad Corvenus (OOC: No offense), so to gain peace we would have to give that up, any reasonable person would agree to those demands! Please senators, at least take this to a poll before any one says no.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*The diplomat bowed his head. Finally the torrent of insults and denial over the Roman defeat had ended, now perhaps he could do his job. He had almost given up, having labled the Romans as men incapable of negotiation. Now his patience may pay off.*
    My thanks to you noble Romans who have taken stock of the situation and are willing to negotiate.

I do not see why I am being questioned on my political affiliations, but if telling you will ease the situation then I shall. I am neither Barcid nor anti-Barcid. I support expansion into the profitable province of Iberia, but I do not think that invading Italy is worth the blood or gold unless absolutly necessary. Peace with Rome would be most profitable for Carthage.
    *'After all, we need people to buy our goods' he thought.*

Now, I hear that some of you wish to trade Corsica and Sardinia for your provinces in Sicily. I am afraid that those islands provide vital harbours for Punic traders, providing supplies and refuge during storms. It is for this reason I cannot give both of them. Would you be willing to take only Corsica, which would provide harbours for your merchants en route to Gaul and Massalia. I also request that if you do agree to take Corsica, that you do not expel or harm the Phoecians who reside there.