Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Servius laughed" I would check the Rolls if someone would tell me them. But Clearly i have not heard the Recent update of the army Rolls. Now can one of the Consuls please tell me what the Current Army rolls is. So that i do not make the same mistake. Honesty. I had no idea what we have at the moment. I had only just recently came back from a trip. and I am not up to date with anything other that we use to have some sort of Alliance with the Carthaginians. "

Servius took a sip of wine" My other motion was ignored although it would fix the economy none the less. But anyway Praetor. Have you figured out who made us into Debt in the first place ? "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Some days later, another messanger arrives in the Senate house, this time it is a well dressed african looking slave who presents himself before the Curia. He carries a bag slung over his shoulder, as well as a scroll with the seal of the blackbird.
    He takes a step forward to get the attention of the Senate.

"I am Gala, servant of Senator Merula, and have brought a message from him to the Senate." He then proceeds to open the seal of the message and read it, whilst placing the bag on the table.

Senators,

I write this letter in all haste to you, so forgive me for not pertaining to the normal formalities.

I have made my way across the Strait and into the city of Messana, although you have not sanctioned any diplomatic powers on me as of yet, i felt it imperitive that I act as quickly as possible and when no message arived for me I feared it lost, or that I was given consent. In any case I must say i did a good job of bluffing my way into the city, and afterwards was led to a house to wait, before I am to meet their leader tomorrow. I was however alowed to venture out of the house and look around the town. What I saw here confirmed my fears.

The Mamertines are the pirates. Some of them I saw walking around the town were wearing Roman armour, in various states of disrepair, but current Roman armour none the less. Some had gladii belted to their waists, and i even think i spied a pilum that a sentry was carrying.

But it was not the Roman gear that worried me Senators. The majority of these Mamertines were wearing Poenii armour, and carrying Poenii weapons.

My dear colleagues, the Carthaginians are supplying the pirates!

I then proceeded to buy some proof of this Poenii armament for your viewing.
    At this, Gala opens the bag and out falls a sword onto the table.

A Hispanic-Poenii Falcata.

This sword is used by the Poenii in their armies, almost exculsively by its veteren troops and the hispanic mercenaries. You may think this is just a coincedence, and that the pirates may have just bought these swords from hispanic merchants. But you will notice the Poenii symbols on the hilt, and the slight deviation in shape from the traditional Hispanic falcata. Also, almost all of the Mamertines carried them.

This leads me to conclude that the Poenii are indeed supplying these pirates to raid our shipping. We are already at war Senators, we just did not know it!

The man i sent to you, Gala, is a trusted man of mine, as I saved him from the mines. So any answers to your questions he provides are the utter truth I swear upon Fortuna herself.

I do not know what the outcome of my meeting with their leader will be Senators, but if I do manage to get out of the city, I will proceed south to Syracuse. I would ask that you send a message back to me entailing just what you want achieved, give the message to Gala. My suggestion is that we officially ally with Syracuse, for we must have a friend on this island for the coming war, and we also do not need to be fighting on two fronts, the Poenii in the west and the Greeks to the South.
    I believe the legions must move to capture the pirate stronghold, and reinforce our presence on the island. After such time we can look to fighting the Carthaginians back and off the island.

I hope this letter finds you in good spirits my friends,

Marcus Atrius Merula.
    Gala closes the scroll and passes it to a the Consul for him to view before speaking.

"My master bids me to answer your questions, and that I might be given a message to take back with me regarding the details of his message."

Spoiler for OOC
    If any of you were wondering what a falcata looks like
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcata

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Being military minded, the Tribune eyed the sword and shook his head. It was more disheartening to hear that the Mamertines were being supplied by the Carthaginians. Faustus stood, he hadn't spoke on the issues of the Senate for sometime, it was mostly useless bantering about ones ego. "Senators, with this grave information I believe we can conclude that the Carthaginians have unofficially declared war against us." Faustus knew it was a bold statement. "By funding the pirates, the Carthaginians are fighting a proxy war in order to disrupt our trade...either for a future invasion or to economically cripple us and see our people revolt again." Faustus concluded and folded his hands in front of him. "It is my duty to protect the people of Roma, and Senators, Esteemed Consuls we must act swiftly, but intelligently. We need this barbaric Carthaginian threat handled."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*Senator Spurius rises to address the entire senate.*
    I have news that Messana has fallen! Strangely we have not recieved a report from Consul Corvenus yet, I learnt through personal contents. Why is this? Surely it is the responsibility of a consul to report back as soon as the battle is over? Soon we shall be forced to call him back on suspicion of plotting treason, such are the rules of Rome. Perhaps we should send him a 'friendly' letter asking for the report and an exclamation of the delay. I say this because I do not wish to see the campaign interrupted (no matter how incompetant the leader), we need to continue until the military plan is complete.

Because I do not wish to see this war lost due to delay caused by roman law, I say we send Consul Lurco to oversee Corvenus and make sure the senate is kept properly informed of its progress, and to prevent Corvenus from making any... avoidable mistakes, as we all know Lurco has the power to veto Corvenus' military decisions. What say you senators?

Servius rose to his feet to speak " Senator Spurius that would be unwise. With the Carthojeans on our doorstep we will need a Consul here in Rome so if the Carthaginians decide to attack one of our provinces we will be able to defend it with the help of the consul and possible be able to strike back. If both are away fighting pirates we will be left without a general to attack any enemy that dares provoke us. No I urge this noble body to wait for a report from Consul Corvenus. No matter how long it takes.. A Report will come in and then we can ask questions when he returns "

Servius sipped his wine before speaking " As the tribune as stated. The Carthaginians can not be trusted and they need to be dealt with before they recruit a army and try to take one of our provinces. They have supported Pirates and who knows what us. Now its time to strike at them and to wipe them off the face of the world !. Only then will the other nations know that Rome is not to be messed with. That we will protect our lands and those of our allies !. That we will honor our true gods and bring them honor and glory !. I urge this noble body to vote to go to war with the Carthaginians so that they will know that betrayal will be dealt with harshly ! "

Servius remained standing as he waited for a reaction
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

You do realise Septimus that our Praetor is fully qualified to take command of whatever forces you believe are left in Italia. As for attacking the Carthaginians Lurco is there to make sure that the attack is pulled of more efficiently and without any hitches. If you had noticed the recent vote deciding whether or not to attack the Carthaginians then you would know an attack led by Flavius is already virtually imminent.

Servius sipped his wine before speaking" You honesty think that a Praetor is able to lead troops into battle ?. Unless the man has some experience under his Toga. I do not believe that the man is able to defend Rome. How many men legions do we have in Rome ?. I am not really up to date with all the troop numbers as I have been away for some time. "

Servius took a deep breath before speaking again" I have heard of the vote and i was pleased with the results. But I am worried that some of our enemies will see our weakness by attacking on two fronts. And I could be wrong In that I do not know the full Military layout currently. But it seems we are attacking on two fronts. The Carthaginians on one side and some other foe on the other (( I forget who else we are fighting )) . Again I am sorry but I was not caught up on what has happen while I was away."

Servius looked at the other senators " Has the Questor come back with the results of what it would cost to implement my construction motion. I am Eager to know what it would cost. But as this is not the right time for Construction. It would be for the next year or after the battles "

Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Lucius chuckled, the effects of which echoed slightly and caused an awkward silence.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 23, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Our Praetor has got to be the most experienced man in these halls when it comes to battles. He took southern Italy if you recall. As for the other foe, we are currently officially at peace with all but those pirates, but if a large force of gauls were to force there way into Italy we would have to levy a new legion to defeat them.

As for troop numbers and placement, I suggest that if your information on the army is so lacking you should endevour to improve it before you engage in debate about the army once more.

Servius listened to the senator" Thank you Senator for the information. Since we are at peace with everyone but pirates and we had gained some new land recently. May I suggest that we build a temple to one of our gods in the new Territory. I say we build a temple to the god mars. Since it was mars that lead our troops to victory on the battle field. The gods have blessed our nation by granting us another city !. The gods deserve to have another temple built to them and the God Mars is the perfect god that should be honored in the new city of Messana. I will like to bring a motion to the floor "

Templum Martis, dei belli
    1 -That a Shrine be Constructed in the city of Messana to the God of war Mars
    Servius sat down and waited for the other senators to respond
    Last edited by Lord Slayer; July 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

A messanger arrives, the letter bearing seal of the blackbird.

Senators,

My mission to Sicily has been succesful, Heiro has kissed the ring of the Senate and Syracuse is now subject to the will of Roma, our friend and vassal.

I have sent a message also to the Consul Corvenus as i believe he has now taken Messana if my information is correct. This is good, but we must hold all our troops there for some time, and then reinforce the city of Syracuse with our own troops to fend of the Poenii. I will remain in Syracuse if you so desire to oversee our actions on the island.

Marcus Atrius Merula.

Marcus Sempronius Sophus entered the senate halls, he looked different than previous days. His skin got it's colour back, he walked with a straightened back and had a fast pace while walking. Energetic and eager he was. He knew it was risky to leave Rome a few days during an investigation but after emotionally collapsing he had decided to leave the city for a few days with his wife. They had some wonderful days on the coast, not far from Rome but still far enough to have no troubles during their little holiday. During his absence Kleitos had managed to place an order for a new bust of Publius. The most expensive marble they could find, it would take a few weeks before it was finished. The mansion had also been improved here and there, more mosaics and colourful paintings, more expensive furniture and various other things.

He walked to his usual seat, sat down and smiled while he looked around. Apart from the ongoing investigation for fraud, his life was looking a bit more bright again. He gestured at a scribe who brought him the records of the past few days. He read them with slight disbelief. Sicily? The fools..
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

We have nothing to worry about, senators. We should by all means send our Junior Consul to... supervise our Senior Consul, oh, and trust me, no Gauls are going to invade Roman territory for ... quite some time.
    Flavius was calmer and more collected than ever, after having Praetor Poplicola make him swear off Alcohol.
    Last edited by Gone 2 the Celts; July 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"It is no doubt that our Praetor is qualified but sending another Consul when we aren't entirely sure about the Senior Consul?" Faustus spoke from his seat, he was leaning back and watching the Senators. "Would that be wise?"
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Servius listened to the senator and then stood up to speak " No it would not be wise Senator. It would not be wise at all. until we know what happened to the Senor Consul I do not recommend that we send the Junior one to check up on the Senior one. Who knows what could happen. We might lose both Consuls if the senior one has turned his back on us.

Servius grumbled " Has anyone seen The Questor lately ?. He has still not told me how much it would cost to Implement a Motion I bought up a few days ago"
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Dear Servius, I believe it is most likely that our Senior Consul is just being stupid and has gotten himself and his army slaughtered by Carthiginians. However, these are Romans we are speaking of, so they most likely took out a good 2/3 of the enemy, so sending our Junior Consul would be beneficial to the war, and we could conquer great vasts of lands from those traders.
    Flavius did not understand why many senators were so cautious when the solution seemed obviouse to himself, as a brave warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Servius nodded at the senator" I think you are right about that Senator. But what if you are wrong and something Terrible happened to the Consul. What if he was bribed by the Carthaginians and he now a turn coat with his army. I do not believe that a Consul with the grace of mars could lose a battle. As Mars is the god of war and the priests regularly sacrifice to the gods on behalf our men and ask the gods for favors and blessings. Why would the gods allow us to lose to Barbarians such as the Carthaginians ? "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

It is not the gods who are the cause of battles lost, but the incompetence of men!

Marcus walks slowly back into the Senate house after returning from Sicily, a changed man indeed.

We have been played for fools Senators, me more so than most. Corvenus is running rampant in Sicily and the last I heard had marched his army west after sacking Syracuse, and I might add, losing hundreds of our young men in the process. This assault on a sovereign state was not sanctioned by this Senate, to the best of my knowledge, forgive me as I have been away, but if so we can not let this 'Consul' of ours continue in his glory-grabbing expedition of foolishness!
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 26, 2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fixed minor spelling errors.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Soon after Marcus's arrival, a messenger arrived in the Curia. He walked calmly to the center of the hall, and addressed the Senate with loud, proud words.

I bring a message from Consul Corvenus. His campaign has been a success, Messana and Syracuse are now under roman control. As the bill of Praetor Poplicola had been accepted, his efforts on the war indeed were sanctioned by the senate. The Consul also remembered that a possible assault on Carthage was indeed possible, as stated by the Praetor's bill, and he went for Carthage. After a dire and bloody battle, he was beaten. He managed to save half of his army, me with them, and return to Sicily.

If you let me tell the profits of this war: two new, wealthy provinces added to our holdings. Thousands of money gained. Carthage on it's knees. Who says that this campaign was not a success? You will soon hear the Consul himself. He must rest after his campaign, but is already on his way to Capua where he rests a day and then comes to Roma.

The messenger smiled.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Marcus nods to the messanger,

Thankyou sir for enlightening us as to the current events, but even though the annexation of Messana was permitted by this body, a motion I was wholeheartedly for, there was nowhere in any motion put forward the order to capture the city of Syracuse! May I remind the Senate as to the contents of the bill that was passed regarding the war with Carthage...

I. Senator Marcus Atrius Merula will be given the authority to treat with the "Mamertine" pirates.
    II. Once said senator has made the treaty official, Messana is to be placed under Roman protection with at least one legion.
    III. Once that is done, preparations are to be made for possible aggressive action from Syracuse following the previous events.
    IV. Preparations for a fleet to be built will take place during all of the events foreseen in the previous sections.
    V. Then and only then, at consular discretion, may an assault on Carthage be a possibility.
    'Preperations to be made for possible aggressive action from Syracuse'...he looks around with an inquiring face...Hmmm, I seem to remember myself travelling to Syracuse itself, at the bidding of the Senate, and forming friendly relations with that city. The Syracusians were not in any way aggressive towards Roma, and if you think back, it was Hiero himself who sent the messanger to us that brought us into this war, he wanted our help! Marcus raises his hands into the air...

And what do we do to help him? We SACK his capital! We have deprived ourselves of an ally in the war against Carthage, the Consul's loss the them clearly shows we may need that help in the coming years! What are the other city states around the Mediterranian going to think of us? Messalia could ally with Carthage and deprive us of slaves, those hard won trade agreements with the greeks in Hellas that Consul Lurco gained for us may be broken, and you can forget about the Ptolemies agreeing to any kind of treaty now!

We have destroyed a nation Senators, we have burned Syracuse, a city second only to Roma in its beauty, we have utterly destroyed it ... or rather I should say, our dear Consul Corvenus has.

What you men make of this I know not, but I see it as a clear injustice that this man has been able to act as if he were a....Marcus stops himself, to say that would not be very intelligent...as if he held supreme power!