Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Given/Giving your generals a fighting chance

Default Given/Giving your generals a fighting chance

Anyone find that i guess this isn't particular to DM but in general.

You are given more generals then you can fight with?

I find most of my generals actually become stale and sit at home, unless i campaign and ravage japan i cannot physically utilize all my generals to enitialy make then effective.

I'm playing my ikko ikki campaign and i have got 2 full stacks (can only afford within budget) with my faction leader and his son in command between them they are only 4 stars and 3 stars.

They have fought about 9 battles between them but they are very rare and very few im often looking to pick fights with factions.

Quite a lot of factors link into this i think biggest one is that to have a large enough army you must depend on trade and diplomacy, but at the same time for your generals to benifit you have to use them efficiently so you have to wage war on a faction but...There are very limited individual armies in and on the campaign as everyone can only field so many units dependable on your current diplomatict situation. so intially you end up waging war to expand, but 3 turns in you find yourself in debt and loosing money as you cannot sustain it without getting trade from the people your attacking

I've rejected 5 generals i've got 4 at the moment and for me i could use more, and more armies included but i feel restricted by clan income.
    Last edited by ♔Lord Stason♔; July 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Given/Giving your generals a fighting chance

unless i campaign and ravage japan i cannot physically utilize all my generals to enitialy make then effective.
    Its what the game is about unfortunately, and just another feature IMO which really highlites the futility of actually becoming Shogun.....for what?? oh yeah to carry on killing Japanese.

and the rest, well i definitely agree as it sounds like the described strategy one must follow for waging war in STW, not everyone's cup of tea really....certainly not mine.

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

If I don't have enough armies for generals I make them admirals. Good way to get them rank by cornering wako pirate ships even if you're not at war.

But yeah I miss the Rome/MTW times where I could make my general study in the great school, he would get traits and retinues like mathematicians and architects.

But it's Sengoku Jidai, don't be suprised if generals were not respected for anything other than prowess in war.

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Arksa View Post
    If I don't have enough armies for generals I make them admirals. Good way to get them rank by cornering wako pirate ships even if you're not at war.
    Highly agreed There is always 1 or 2 predicted Wako spawn once a year nearby so that fleet admiral will rank up very fast.

@TO:
    Same happened to me, 2 generals idled in my home region while I fielded only 2 high quality armies later on and even a 3rd after Takeda/Hojo declared my religion being heretic ^.^
    But hit the 'reject' button more than once too and should have had put them in fleets instead...and not only 1.

I tried to maintain peace with lots of factions, cause the income isn't that high at the beginning and further it is so freaking easy to get provinces without a fight, that it's hard to rank up a general.
    The incite rebellion feature is pretty insane for this faction. And even if you don't incite them, there is a high chance that there will spawn a random rebel army due to your religion spreading (you have a lot of temples I guess? )
    (Date was obliterated just by my 'temples' without doing anything...)

Anyway, after RD I had 4 full stacked armies but only 2 of them had actual combat experience. You might say 2 of them are only to show-off

But you seem to be very lucky/unlucky if you get that many generals or aren't that far in the campaign?
    There should be a limit how many generals you can have (including sons&heirs) and if the limit isn't reached yet you'll always get that 'pop up' to enlist another general...

(the DLC was worth it and I did highly enjoy the faction and they restricted the use of Metsuke agents for a reason ^.^ guess it would be boring as hell otherwise...though it is a boring later on, cause there is really nothing which can stand against your warrior monks...and I played on hard and with DMS 2.5/2.55 the AI was fielding quite some quality armies)

MatrixStorm's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Arksa View Post

But yeah I miss the Rome/MTW times where I could make my general study in the great school, he would get traits and retinues like mathematicians and architects.

But it's Sengoku Jidai, don't be suprised if generals were not respected for anything other than prowess in war.
    And that's the reason that I'm still playing RTW (with mod, ofcourse) and less S2TW, even with DMS on it...
    This game has lost it's strategically value in terms of economy.
    That's one of the reasons I always convert to Christianity, just to spice thing up a bit.
    Also, as usual the diplomacy sucks, even with DMS.
    They still break (but less than in vanilla) trade agreements at random and without good reason.
    And I miss the option to sell/buy/give regions to other factions...
    The graphics may be nice (although I would like a more simplistic campaign map like in ETW), but strategically seen, it has lost it's value.

I really hope that Darth will find a solution to this.

Oh, by the way: does somebody know why you can appoint generals for matters like "head of finance"?
    I mean, they don't get traits that help with finance anyway...
    Last edited by MatrixStorm; July 14, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Uhm forgot to mention there is another way to rank your other generals if you don't need them. At least til you get rank 3 for the 25% bushido research boost
    Just have him in your army and if it is an easy fight place him out of your army but near the enemies' control radius so he will partake in this battle (don't know if it counts if your army is already full and he will join if you loose one unit)

It's a bit 'odd' but who cares, else just put them in some fleets. In DMS you will (!) encounter a lot of enemy fleets and they consist not only of bow kobayas and other cheap stuff. In my recent finished Ikko campaign I owned the incense, raw silk and iron trade (didn't really needed the other stuff and they would be hard to protect anyway. Had all guarded by a 2nd fleet each and specially the incense node was very "attractive" to the AI (e.g. O ataka bunes weren't rare to see and so were cannon bunes, just to name an example)
    If I'd have had put in generals...but I needed them all later in my land battles.

Yeah the 'reinforcement' general is the way to go, but I miss rtw having good administrators, and I miss being able to better arm/ armor my generals at forges.

I wish they would make diplomacy work seems like it would be much easier than the battles, it is basically a text adventure, and I miss the ability to demand regions also

I wonder how hard it would be to create administrator command trees. The Ikko have a modified one, and you could re-purpose metsuke traits.

But how does an administrator gain xp actively? Metsuke can perform actions outside of just sitting, THEN become administrators. You can't just make a general a metsuke, that sort of defeats the purpose

I rationalise using reinforcement generals by placing them with some units of light cavalry or skirmishers, while the main line infantry/siege weapons/heavy cavalry stays with my daimyo. That way they can rush back to the main army from time spent "scouting and foraging". After a victory, I let them ride off to finish routers. After a defeat, I sometimes pay the price in terms of excessive troop dispersal... but this all adds spice. This is helped by my tendency too play Takeda, where cavalry is more common. Onwards, my cavalry general poets!

Quote Originally Posted by psycochiken View Post
    Yeah the 'reinforcement' general is the way to go, but I miss rtw having good administrators, and I miss being able to better arm/ armor my generals at forges.

I wish they would make diplomacy work seems like it would be much easier than the battles, it is basically a text adventure, and I miss the ability to demand regions also

I wonder how hard it would be to create administrator command trees. The Ikko have a modified one, and you could re-purpose metsuke traits.

But how does an administrator gain xp actively? Metsuke can perform actions outside of just sitting, THEN become administrators. You can't just make a general a metsuke, that sort of defeats the purpose
    Agreed, I wish we could retrain units with the upgraded armor traits and such.
    What do we say to the God of Death? Not today.

The more I play shogun the more I miss rome... is there darthmod for rome?

Mr Kami's Avatar Ordinarius

Yes.

In my current campaign Tokugawa's geishas and ninjas killed about 7 generals, 2 heirs and countless amount of agents. Almost each turn I hire new metsukes and ninjas to counter enemy agents, but they keep coming. So, each general is very important to me.

Diogthykiller's Avatar Foederatus

Ya this sometimes happens to me (get really bored and annoyed).
    Last edited by Diogthykiller; July 14, 2011 at 08:06 PM.

i haven't had one killed yet, either in Vanilla or in DM

OT: i raise my taxes and train my armies on rebels, at least is what i did duting longer periods of peace in vanilla, in DM i dont have much time, i seem to be at war constantly.

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStorm View Post

Oh, by the way: does somebody know why you can appoint generals for matters like "head of finance"?
    I mean, they don't get traits that help with finance anyway...

Their rank (command stars) affects the abilities they get from commissioner offices. For finance, the upkeep of the units in his army get smaller. For supply, his army moves faster and small global replenishment bonus.

It certanly makes it less gamey of you have enough generals to fill the four roles... too often in my early game one general switches from season to season depending on clan priorities.

seems completely unnecessary

♫♥ ƬƦƛƝƇЄ ƑƠƦЄƔЄƦ ♥♫

Quote Originally Posted by Akusa View Post
    seems completely unnecessary
    Uhm, don't think so...12% bonus to clan-wide tax-rate or the replenishment-boost isn't useless at all. The latter more or less at the beginning of a campaign.

For the tax-rate lets say your region nets you 3k, without any boost your net-income will be like 20% (with only the 1st research boost of 5%). So for this very region you'll get *looking for a calculator* 600 'real' income. Add the (max) taxation bonus from a general and this will change to 960!
    You can do the math by yourself for having 10+ regions what the difference will be then

Quite. And early on, without roads, having a supply commisioner can be critical. Pity the Mori... they have none as the only other general is the daimyo's heir and you need to fight through three Amako garrisons and usually a couple of stacks before anyone backstabs you in Aki.

Quote Originally Posted by valky View Post
    Uhm, don't think so...12% bonus to clan-wide tax-rate or the replenishment-boost isn't useless at all. The latter more or less at the beginning of a campaign.

For the tax-rate lets say your region nets you 3k, without any boost your net-income will be like 20% (with only the 1st research boost of 5%). So for this very region you'll get *looking for a calculator* 600 'real' income. Add the (max) taxation bonus from a general and this will change to 960!
    You can do the math by yourself for having 10+ regions what the difference will be then
    should have quoted, but i was referring to the post above mine. Having one general switch different roles each season.

♫♥ ƬƦƛƝƇЄ ƑƠƦЄƔЄƦ ♥♫

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast