Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AoVaF TW - mod focusing from 843 to 1099

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default AoVaF TW - mod focusing from 843 to 1099

Hello all fans and modders!!!
    I want to introduce you an older mod, which hasn't been unfortunately represented well here.

What is AoVaF TW?!

AoVaF is a modification for RTW/BI with patch 1.6 installed. It's an historically accurate modification representing the period 843 AD to 1099 AD, which includes viking raids, magyar expansion, the internal struggle between the frankish heirs: the western, central and eastern frankish empire, the semi-settled steppe people khazars, the abbassid khaliphate and the battle for britain including normandy, alba, gwynedd, Alfred the Great, Norway and Denmark. Historically, the first crusade reached Jerusalm in 1099 AD and the reconquista of the Iberian peninsula had progressed far at that time. Therefore, later in the mod crusader units and event related to the early crusades are also represented.

Focus of the mod

The time when power over Europe and the Middle east was shared between the three superpowers the Frankish empire, the Byzantine empire and the Baghdad khaliphate is nearly over. The Frankish empire has been divided between the heirs of Charlemagne, the Byzantine empire has only just survived the muslim jihad and the schisms with the catholic church, and the muslims of the Baghdad khaliphate have now been split up in many smaller khaliphates and have lost their will to expand, and as a result, let their armies be weakened.

This is the perfect time for new tribes to establish kingdoms - or even empires. While the pagan vikings battle for the supreme control over Scandinavia, Denmark and other parts of Northern Europe (including the British Isles, Russia and the northern coasts of the Holy roman empire and France), Magyars and Bulgars are threatening to sack the once mighty Byzantine empire. At the same time in the Mediterranean area, North African pirates conduct raids similar to the viking raids, occupying among other places Sicily and threaten the Pope himself. Can the vikings hope to win a battle against more organized, richer enemies in the long term? Will the formerly great catholic empires survive the storm of raids and conquests and the fury of the norsemen? Will the byzantine empire survive attacks from all directions - both from their former catholic allies, from magyars, from slavic peoples moving in from the steppes to the east, and from Muslims? Can the peaceful eastern muslims survive the growing power of the pope and his will to create a Christian crusader kingdom in Jerusalem? For this is also the time of increasing religious fanatism - al-murabitin will try to conquer more of Spain, the kingdom of Asturia try to push back the moors into North Africa, and in the end of the 11th century, the very first crusade is launched.

The focus of the mod will be vikings and invasion of Britain and colonization of Russia. However in order to put the vikings into a historically correct context it's in my opinion necessary to display the rest of Europe, as many decisions to the south affected the situation to the north. And including the more southern areas also gives the mod another bonus. The southern nations have as a matter of fact a history nearly as interesting as, or even more interesting than, that of the vikings. This period is an often neglected one, which is a pity, considering that it's a time that's very well suited for a game/mod - there is a balance in power between the nations, and almost anything can happen.

Time of the mod

Starting date is 843 (Verdun treaty, which split up the Frankish empire into 3 parts), ending date is 1099 AD (the first crusade takes Jerusalem).

Faction list
    - Norway - pagan
    - Sweden - pagan
    - Denmark - pagan
    - Rus - orthodox
    - Normandy - catholic
    - Saxons - catholic
    - Scots - catholic
    - Irish - catholic
    - Welsh - catholic
    - France - catholic
    - Holy roman empire - catholic
    - Kingdom of Lotharingia - catholic
    - Kingdom of Asturia - catholic
    - Papal state - catholic
    - Magyars - pagan
    - Bulgars - orthodox
    - Khazars - jewish
    - Byzantine empire - orthodox
    - Abbassids - muslim
    - Al Andalus - muslim
    - (and of course the Rebels)

And another faction we haven't decided on. Might be Fatimids, Seldjuks or Great Moravia.

Progress
    - Research: about 55 %
    - Planning tech trees & units: 75 %
    - Campaign map 20 %
    - Buildings: 0 %
    - Units: 30 %
    - Testing: 0 %
    - Planned release: probably July, August or September, earlier if more join the team

Team
    - Basileos Leandros I/edyzmedieval - project leader/PR
    - LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix - second leader/campaign map maker/unit editor
    - Palissa - skinner
    - Bar Kochba - unit coder/researcher
    - Germanicus91 - coding/research/mapping

Recruitment
    We are looking for more modders to join our team so we can complete the mod.
    -2 coders
    -2 modellers
    -2 skinners

Strategy
    - 0 turns build time for militia and untrained, very weak units.
    - 1 turn build time for most regular units.
    - 2-3 turns build time for elite units or others that historically required much training.
    - This will prevent armies from consisting purely of elite units.

- Pope: Pope will hand out orders/suggestions/missions to the major catholic factions (HRE, France, Lombard league). The pope is not very powerful at this time so he can't reach the other catholics well. If you play a major catholic faction and become too powerful, the pope will excommunicate you and after that there's no way back - the other major catholic factions will become your enemies.

- Vikings will start with easily available good units. Catholic and other factions will get better units later, but in some cases be in pretty difficult positions from start. Vikings and fatimids will have double movement points for most of their ships.

- Byzantines, Abbassids and Khazars and others who historically relied on mercenaries will need mercenaries much here too, by restricting traditional recruitment in different ways. Their economy will allow them to hire many mercenaries.

- City levels: village, town, large town, city, large city. All factions will be able to construct all city levels, although vikings and others will have very slow growth compared to others, and therefore will probably not build many large cities.

Unit Screenshots

Viking Huskarls - heavy axemen

Geirmen - spearmen

Early Comes - Western Frankish Empire

Jomsvikings

Abbasid Banner Bearer

We will be releasing a new preview soon, as we have already completed some more units.

Thannk you,
    Basileos Leandros I
    Byzantium TW Leader/AoVaF TW Leader
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

very nice. But one question, wouldn't the Rus still be pagan at this time?
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Yes, they will. It was only in the 10th century (966 to be exact) were converted to Orthodox Christianity. But it should be simple to make a script which begins mass conversion of Kievan territories to Christianity.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

At the start, yes. :original:

But they were more like small kingdoms...So, as a nation, they were orthodox.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

look very very nice ! GL boyz
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Thanks. We aim to get a forum here.

Guys,

We are recruiting!!! We need:

-2 skinners
    -2 modellers

If you are interested in the mod, please contact me. :original:

Time to get amazed.
    Tell me what you think about this baby.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Wow! I'm very glad that this mod has been revived it was one that I was looking forword to. Went to the Org and saw that the Magyars are getting done ATM and things are picking nicely from where they were left off. Nice job guys!
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Thanks.

More to come, we are in full development.

I'll wait impatiently,and very compliments for your good work!!!!

Tostig's Avatar -

Tell me what you think about this baby.
    *creams trousers*
    Garbarsardar has been a dapper chap.

Dorian's Avatar Libertus

If I remember well, you've tried to bring viking longboats in rivers and commence naval battles. What was the outcome of this most interesting venture?

Wow, very very good work!
    GREEK ERA MOD FOR MEDIEVAL 2- JOIN TODAY, THE ANCIENT PROJECT!!!
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Ancient_Project/

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Ah, I've seen all this before at the org. Still looks good though.

Ooooh Khazars COOL!

Laetus

Why are the Bulgars represented by the lion?

Other than that they are really COOL looking

These are the faction symbols and I doubt we will edit them.
    As for naval battles, we weren't the guys. Imperialism TW was, but the mod got cancelled.

And thanks for the kind words. Work in progress.

Default Re: AoVaF TW - mod focusing from 843 to 1099

Guys,

We desperately need skinners and modellers!!! We are at about 75% with the unit skinning/modelling, but we need 2 more skinners to do the job!!!

Also, we are recruiting 2 coders to implement the work.

Thank you.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: AoVaF TW - mod focusing from 843 to 1099

Hope you find more ppl to join your team, unfortunately most of them already taken.
    Anyway this is a promising mod, treating the viking age, intresting.

Best Wishes

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast