Thread: Too many Brigands

Byzantium's Avatar Semisalis

Default Too many Brigands

I'm not sure if this has been modded at all in Darthmod let alone in version 7 but these brigands are popping up everywhere in just about every game i play (Usually Parthia,Selucia) and in such great numbers it's beyond a joke.
    Dont get me wrong here,i'm all for their inclusion as a petty annoyance but to constantly have to fight medium to large stacks is a bit much as it makes the game a grind.Around Susa and Antioch seem to be areas of particular concern as they reappear so often.
    I could also understand brigands being more likely to appear in regions with too higher taxes and where there are unhappy populations but this isnt the case as i usually try to keep my populations happy and if theres no way to combat their appearance via city management you may as well just tax the knackers off every city and be dammned to them.

Like i said i dont know if this particular area of the game has been modded by you but if it has is there any chance of toning it down a bit.Failing that does anyone know how to mod this themselves as it's spoiling what is my favourite mod at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

I dont have Darthmod, so I'm not sure, but in vanilla, you can mod it by going to Rome-Total War/Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign and opening the descr_strat.txt.

There you should see two lines that say:

brigand_spawn_value 10
    pirate_spawn_value 28

Change the brigand_spawn_value to something higher than 10. The higher you go, the less pop-up rebels you get. Remember that this only takes effect when you start a new gampaign.

I might trigger it a bit later, but this is supposed to happen more in provinces with large population and unhappiness. A proportion of the population will form armies and challenge the conqueror.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium
    I'm not sure if this has been modded at all in Darthmod let alone in version 7 but these brigands are popping up everywhere in just about every game i play (Usually Parthia,Selucia) and in such great numbers it's beyond a joke.
    Dont get me wrong here,i'm all for their inclusion as a petty annoyance but to constantly have to fight medium to large stacks is a bit much as it makes the game a grind.Around Susa and Antioch seem to be areas of particular concern as they reappear so often.
    I could also understand brigands being more likely to appear in regions with too higher taxes and where there are unhappy populations but this isnt the case as i usually try to keep my populations happy and if theres no way to combat their appearance via city management you may as well just tax the knackers off every city and be dammned to them.

Like i said i dont know if this particular area of the game has been modded by you but if it has is there any chance of toning it down a bit.Failing that does anyone know how to mod this themselves as it's spoiling what is my favourite mod at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
    too many brigands? i have the same problem. after thinking about it for a whole evening i came up with a deadly strategy.
    i kill them, i kill them all. if they come back i kill them again. if there are comming more..i kill more. waaaaarghhhh..
    brb i have to kill some more

oh and keeping your ppl happy is the worst you can do! if they are happy..if they are happy they dont fear you,if they dont fear you they dont respect you, if they dont respect you you have to kill them and eran respect,if you kill them they cant respect you anymore :-/
    happyness leads nowhere..
    they may not love me as long as they fear me - caligula.
    im ust making fun here in germania i havent faced huge stacks of rebels..just lots of small ones, which is acually nice. i barely need barracks to get experience as long as those sandbags show up often enough

Byzantium's Avatar Semisalis

Cheers all for the replies i appreciate it.

@Almighty - Thanks for giving me the method.I'll have a play about with it as soon as i start a new campaign.

@Darth - Unhappiness and revolt in a newly conquered province with a high culture difference i can live with but i always have large stacks appearing around Susa when i play as Parthia.The last game i had a 3/4 stack right outside Susa which was causing a revenue loss of 420 denarii per turn.Moneys tight with this faction as it is and i had no army that could fight it.Thanks for noting it.Great stuff as usual otherwise

@Ahlerich - Hehe i hear what your saying and i'm all for rebels being in there as a nuisance value but i'd like to feel that i can limit the chance of their appearance to some degree via city management.(ie) Do i go for the big revenues and risk rebels or do i keep happiness high to cut down on the chance of them.At the moment it just feels random.

Anyway i've just started building Kardakes so im off to kill some rebels

Default Re: Too many Brigands

Another idea: build forts throughout your large provinces with one or 2 units in them, that really reduced them for me in R:TW, though I haven't tested this in DarthMod because the Greek/Macedonian cities are pretty densely packed, though I'm probably going to start noticing rebels now that I'm expanding into Thrace, who I just eliminated