Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAGONDAWN Total War - Outdated 2011 Initial Preview

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Default Re: DRAGONBORN Total War - Initial Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Torvus View Post
    will Kadasandra itself be playable? or will it just be the east and west empires? also, do the empire factions rely more on provincial troops or are they more reliant on the Legions?
    Ah, good question! Well, we are thinking along the lines of the Papal States for Kadasandra, BUT it would be easily done without that; it's up in the air I suppose, and if people want to play it, who are we to say that it's not possible?

Well, Kadasandra is on a small island between the continents; it essentially has Fleet, the large island where the Imperial Navy is housed, and then the provinces and fortresses of Eatwatch and West watch. It can gift Void Knights to the east and west if used as the pope, and obviously the fleet too.

We could easily replace the gifting of ships etc in events/missions rather than as the pope.

Essentially, it would have the Legions, Guard Legions, Void Knights and probably the recruitment of all provincial troops, albeit at a slow rate. It's an interesting thought, so let me play with it. There would certainly be some unique troops involved, so it's not a defunct idea.

The Provinces of the East and West each have a unique troop type (sometimes 2), so their legions can hold their own...are cheap and plentiful too, but the Provinces are what enhances the bare bones of the Marches, to make them more effective. I would say 60% Legions as bones of an army/ 40% Provinces - BUT it's up to player in the end (you will have complete control on what troops you use, and will be able to shift the balance to provincial troops) I mean, if we look at the east, and use the terms regular, veteran and elite, then I will list the provinces of the East...

Legion Lancers - Regular Medium Cavalry
    Legion Bow - Regular Foot Archers
    Legion Pike - Regular Pikemen

Ancillia - Pit Dogs - ELite medium Foot
    Dalthrasia - Dalthrasian Pike - Elite Pikemen
    Duinir Wardens - Veteran Spear, Veteran Bow
    Telmior - Noble Sons - ELite Chariots (I hope) and Veteran Light Horse
    Saladir - SIlver Lancers - Veteran Scale Barded Cavalry
    Atakash - ANgelbloods - Elite Heavy Foot
    Kai-Losson - Kaidelanian Horse - Regular Horse Archers
    Acasarena - Karesi Knight-Lords - Veteran Heavy Cavalry
    Sea of Grass - Spurhawk Air Cavalry and Atlaian Bloodhunters

*Possible*

Void Knights - SUperior Infantry
    Guard Legions - Elite Heavy Spearmen

Quote Originally Posted by Kabeloko View Post
    this will become legend among the mods...

Well, I hope it'll be up to everyone's expectations; I really do - we'll do our best to make it as perfect as it can be.
    Last edited by Squeaks; July 28, 2011 at 07:03 AM.

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Are there any userbars I can use from dragonborn total war?

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post

Well, I hope it'll be up to everyone's expectations; I really do - we'll do our best to make it as perfect as it can be.
    Dearest Squeaks,

Any and all expectations for a WIP about a fantasy world that was made up completely and wasn't based off of a book or series have already been blown away.

Now, I can't wait to see what they think of Banditks' work. If they haven't been blown away yet, they will be. And I mean that quite literally

Quote Originally Posted by Eöl View Post
    Not as of yet, but you are more than welcome to make some if you so wish

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Legion Lancers - Regular Medium Cavalry
    Legion Bow - Regular Foot Archers
    Legion Pike - Regular Pikemen
    Guard Legions - Elite Heavy Spearmen
    So these Legions are not like the Legions of Rome...

Citizen

No, not really.

They're better

Quote Originally Posted by Eöl View Post
    Uhm, hadn't thought about that....I will do sumfin about it...

So these Legions are not like the Legions of Rome...
    God no. I didn't want any similarities to be honest, so they're made the way they are with that as a base to grow from. The Legions are the professional army, always paid always on guard, always present. The Provincial troops are very much a part of it, but are levied in greater numbers during a war. During peace, they maintain a few units, but in war they can be levied at a far greater rate. We're using free upkeep as a tool for more 'realism' when concerned with Dragonborn, and to give a much better view of cultures, politics and military for each faction - ratties, for example, have their whole army at the game's start with free upkeep, but they start turn 1 with no captured settlements, as the WHite SOw has finally started their personal crusade - the smashing of the dominion of men...their later units cost though, but money for rats is different than men or elves. We use money and upkeep as a tool for representing different aspects of the game, not just a constant.

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    No, not really.

They're better
    you better watch yer mouth, boy...

Citizen

Sorry, Mr. Torvus. Won't happen again, I promise!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hug?

You tell him!

I'm going to see if we can sort some form of forum section out to chat in and have threads for factions in whatever way we're allowed...there defo needs to be a lore and unit based thing, cos otherwise it'd spill into a terrible mess....there's TONS to reveal bit by bit, so one thread ain't gonna work...will get on with asking...

I'd like for you to see some of the Empire texts, as it'd be interesting to see what you think, given your obvious love of a more traditional viewpoint - that's a compliment btw. I am currently turning page after page of handwritten notes into text on da computer, and was staring aghast at the pile marked EMpire.

Citizen

You tell him!

I support the forum idea though

Just a note to everyone...Broissomeone has written a magnificent piece of prose from notes I'v given him on the Chitkinnen (Rats), so I've asked him to post it here later...hope you love it!

Citizen

It's awesome!

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

indeed!

Just a heads up. I'm currently working on transferring as much of the vast stack of scribbled pages onto the forum, so more and more of the writing is being done contantly, plus I have help with it all, so I will release bits of lore here and there if you want...any requests for particular factions? WHat would be oof specific interest? I'm staring at 200 pages of notes about the Empire and it's vast history, so I am tackling the big stuff, but also developing the small stuff in smaller parcels...Beregond has the Federation, Iryn Thaan, The Principality of STeel and The Rose of war to do (which he does damned well) and Boris is tackling some of the harder factions, doing me a great personal favour.

It's the EMpire that's the killer...the first Emperor alone has 6 sides of A4 notes on him, whilst timelines (say 2 pages each province), histories(up to eight sides each province, plus a good overall history of 50 sides, AND the ghaurchlai wars take a further 80 odd) and specific provincial history/society etc probably take up about another 6-10 sheets. It's big stuff, hard going but wonderful to bring together properly for you. I love the feeling that doing this gives me; I'm still shocked that people really like it, and the team are absolute bunnies for me!

It's all so vivid and alive for me. Reading some of the older ocuments bring back great memoires, and I surprise myself with stuff I don't remember doing, but are sooo cool.

There be a sizeable update to bits and pieces in the next week or so; probably will give you an insight to magic too....it's quite odd, but logical and heavily supported by sensible facts, as it were.

Right, bed time now...night all!

EDIT: that's quite a bit nmore thatn 200 pages...some provinces are unfinished and I constantly find new bits...I found much on the RHysthari, the Selediri, Ashapur, religion and a concise explanation of magic.
    Last edited by Squeaks; July 30, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Have you thought of publishing a book (or at least a short story) about this universe, Squeaks? I think you'd make a lovely author.

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Here it is, hope you all like it. Please feel free to leave feed back.

The Chitkinnen

We started from pity, we hid in the shadows and lived a simple life, but pity changed everything. From the dark came the Lindiri compassion filling their eyes as they gazed down upon us as we crawled through the debris of the man world. We were happy in our own way, plague and death a constant that made us what we are, always lurking in the shadows feeding on the waste of the so called civilized world, spreading disease and feeding on the dead. What came next for the nest was pain as the Lindiri worked their magic upon us, they thought to improve us. From this improvement we were born again, the first of the Chitkinnen, from pity and pain we stood upon two legs and tried to comprehend this new world that had been thrust on us.

The Lindiri explained this new world to us, but we of the nest did not truly understand what was told, and from the confusion of this new world the thoughts of old started again. We craved to understand and took many of the Lindiri into our nests, but as the screams of fear and pain rode the hollows of our shadow drenched lairs the Lindiri gave little to us, preferring death to sharing with us. From pity to a new world to death, the Lindiri have given us much and yet retained more.

Now we bide our time, the White Sow gives many to the nests, her mind feeding all as her heaving sallow bulk spews forth new born Chitkinnen. Many of the new are born into this world with the power of the mind, the Nestmind Priests who watch and gather information for the day when we explode from the sewers and shadows of the man world and begin a new age of slaughter, but for now we bide our time and feed, growing stronger for that day. Terror and the stink of death will ride the wind when the Chitkinnen walk amongst men for the first time.

The King of Tooth and Bone demands much from the nest, he feeds and mates with the White Sow, his maw devouring all that come his way, whispers in the dank foul air tell us we should look upon the White Sow’s mate as something more, a god to our many nests? The King of Tooth and Bone wants much and has all, our black eyes gaze upon his massive form with devotion for he embodies all that we are, death, disease and power.

As the foul air weaves and dips through our dark nests we work toward the day when we come forth and feed upon the man flesh, his children and wives will all feel our pain as we eat their screaming forms. The Cult of Vivisection improve us, they cut and change us for the better, whilst our minds are expanded by the Cult of Pschotrope. The Rabian have given much to the twisted and foul tunnels we call our lairs, from this most prized cult come the priesthood, the Brotherhood of Shadow. From the dappled shadows of the Brotherhood come the much feared Steamskin Watches. The Watches walk the dark for our mighty mother feeding information to the Nestmind ensuring all follow the will of the nest. We are the Chitkinnen, borne from pity but bound for greatness and much death. The Nestmind calls and she tells of dark days for the land of men, we are the Chitkinnen and now it is time for Total War.

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Citizen

I love it!

+rep!

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I look forward to this greatly, it will be the next Thera (In my opinion). Also can you color code the map to show which nations will start out where?
    Last edited by Derpy Hooves; July 30, 2011 at 08:35 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♘swordofjanak♘ View Post
    I look forward to this greatly, it will be the next Thera (In my opinion). Also can you color code the map to show which nations will start out where?
    I do hope it will have the same amount of love from its fans like Thera. Thera's community is something to be admired. Never have I seen a community so dedicated to a mod. Thera is like the small town of mods. Not many people play it compared to the "big cities" of TATW, SS, or CoW, but everybody knows one another (well, the more local residents do anyways ) and there is a great loyalty to the mod from both its mayor (TFON) and its townsfolk.

Since Boris is on the team now, I'm sure we can get close to Thera. DB is certainly going to be a great and cared for mod. Squeaks' vision will never die, and as long as DB is around, I will strive to make sure it stays alive.

Shadowlair's Avatar Civis

hmmm, very introdasting about those ratmen, and ofcourse awesome, still a lizzie/ratmen sig would rock ofcourse ^^ but this mod will shine like the northern star, or by far even brighter ^^

All hail dragonborn total war!!