Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture that gives you goosebumps

Default Picture that gives you goosebumps

(for those who aren't similar with this picture, it is a picture of the Palestinian terrorist during the Munich Massacre. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre)

If you got any (historical pictures) that scares you (lol) or gives you goosebumps post em'.

Psychonaut's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: This picture gives me goosebumps

I'm going to visit Munich next week. Quite the coincidence.

anywho:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguy%E1...oner_execution
    Last edited by Psychonaut; July 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Mary Surratt.

"Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Semisalis

^

mw2xboxplayer's Avatar Senator

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

If anybody can give me the backstory as to what this is, I could probably sleep a little easier...

Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Crew of the Japanese carrier Zuikaku saluting the imperial naval ensign as it's lowered at the Battle of Leyte Gulf (the largest naval engagement of WWII).

Fifteen minutes after this picture the carrier capsized and sank, killing her captain and half her crew of 1,600.

Last edited by Caelius; July 12, 2011 at 03:56 AM.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Earth rise over the moon as seen from Apollo 8. Can you imagine seeing this? It's literally awesome.

And another astronomy photo known as "Pale Blue Dot":

Taken 3.7 billion miles from Earth by Voyager 1 in 1990 at the request of Carl Sagan. If you look closely enough at the bright yellow-orange sun ray/glare/whatever you will see...a pale blue dot. That's Earth. It's an incredible sight.

Sagan wrote about the photograph:
    From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Aemilianus Finnicus View Post
    That does give me the goosebumps

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

go onto google and type in Don Mcullin and go to the images of the Vietnam War and Sub Saharan Africa

[or buy his book which is definetley worth seeing, I based my entire art project for my A-levels on it]

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

If anybody can give me the backstory as to what this is, I could probably sleep a little easier...
    Just some people that visit your house when you post that picture.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Indefinitely Banned

This one from the alien atopsy still gives me the creeps

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

This picture was taken by Kevin Carter in Sudan in 1993. It became a Pulitzer prize-winning photograph. The photo caused many people to ask Carter what he did about the child in the photo. He did scare the vulture away. But the horrors he saw in Sudan were too much for him to handle and he committed suicide in 1994.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

napalm in vietnam

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    napalm in vietnam

Why is he doing a facepalm

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

Some sort of Christmas or New Year custom?

These are probably the local equivalent of Santa Claus and the boy has been naughty so there will be no presents for him, just a good beating.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast