Thread: Are sieges all the same?

Default Are sieges all the same?

So I bought S2TW 2 days ago and I've played a few sieges on the campaign map. However, all the sieges I have played have been forts. I thought I would be up against a big castle or something....

Like when I'm sieging a castle town, it shows up on the battle map as a fort.

Is it always like that?

old_dude's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Are sieges all the same?

There ore only three (or is it five) different siege battle maps for each level of castle walls built. So yeah, it can seem rather repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihad4Life View Post
    So I bought S2TW 2 days ago and I've played a few sieges on the campaign map. However, all the sieges I have played have been forts. I thought I would be up against a big castle or something....

Like when I'm sieging a castle town, it shows up on the battle map as a fort.

Is it always like that?
    There a few different fort/castle types, but yes the sieges are by far the biggest disappointment in Shogun 2. Extremely repetitive and boring. Real shame. I wish they had bagged naval and focused on great sieges instead (for shogun... in ETW/NTW naval battles were amazing and make sense. But in Japan???)

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

yeah pretty much the same, same different map.

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Yeah, there's about three different maps for siege battles. But if you're playing one of the southern clans, 9/10 it's going to be the same 'castle by the coast' map because of the way the campaign map is around there.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Go play the center clans, there are plain castles from the Kanto region, mountain castles from the Shinano, and coastal ones at the south and the north.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

and the same question..................
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

Probably the worst downgrade in the series. Really kills re-playability.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

It really feels like you are fighting the same siege over and over until you get to Kyoto thank goodness that has a unique settlement.

Morray's Avatar Semisalis

Yes given the frequency of sieges in Shogun 2 I think more emphasis should have been placed on them, but I still find them really challenging, especially if the enemy outnumber you 2:1.
    Loose - Free or released from fastening or attachment "a loose tooth".

Lose - Be deprived of or cease to have or retain "I've lost my appetite".

I do like the sieges as such, but they get very repetetive since they occur so often; I fight more sieges than land battles.
    I hope we get new maps.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Yeah and it sucks, you start to develop a tactic that you use every single time... Which get monotonous pretty fast.
    Birk Von Norway

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

It would have been better if there were towns, villages, and castles. Towns could have forts in the middle but they would be surrounded by a sprawling city. I really don't like the settlement approach in Shogun 2 its way too repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    It would have been better if there were towns, villages, and castles. Towns could have forts in the middle but they would be surrounded by a sprawling city. I really don't like the settlement approach in Shogun 2 its way too repetitive.
    I agree with this post. More like the system they used in med 2 maybe? I think they had good intentions when they implemented the for system in Shogun 2, because it allowed the game to be more balanced, but i have to say setting up your troops the same exact way for every single siege is boring after the first couple of weeks of playing. for this reason i have given Shogun2 a break and have went back to playing Med2.

Antalis's Avatar Civitate

Sieges are boring for me. Seems that the variarity is low. Its sad that Rome and MTW2 are so much better in siege warfare than the newer games since the warscape engine.
    Last edited by Antalis; July 25, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

Damn, its a shame that the sieges suck...

I was really hoping for epic siege battles. Makes me wanna go back to playing Stainless Steel or Third Age...

P.S. I friggin hate the realm divide thing!!!!!!!!!!