Thread: The Crannogmen

Default The Crannogmen

Has there been any thought to making a Crannogmen unit for House Stark that would recruitable in very low numbers (very low replenishment) from Moat Cailin? They could be a lightly armored, fast-moving ambush/skirmisher unit armed with spear/shield primary and secondary javelins. They should probably also have the ability to hide anywhere to reflect their ambush abilities.

If they were implemented, it could also be interesting to have a small stack of them, lead by Howland Reed, spawn the first time an enemy lays siege to Stark-owned Moat Cailin.

So what do you guys think? This is just meant as a suggestion and I understand completely if the team does not feel it is worth their time.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Re: The Crannogmen

I would agree, i've always been very curious about the Crannogmen, from what i can gather their kinda based on celtic/irish influences, which i feel is pretty interesting

Id love to see this implemented.
    Considering how many of us are Stark Loyalists, it only makes sense to include 1 of the most loyal Stark bannermen.

And it would make "The Neck" more formidable for invading troops. I know from my Lannister campaign in Alpha I was able to take Tywin's army right up past the Twins into "the neck" and there was a 1-2 unit garrison in Moat, nothin else.

Now all that said, we dont know much about the Crannogmen. Maybe DwD will shed more light.

It's true that we do not know much about them, but I think you are right that we will find out more in DwD. Even if we don't, I think it's pretty safe to say that they would be lightly armored and wield a spear and shield. The Neck is not wealthy, and it is almost certainly metal-poor, so it would be unlikely that they would be wielding swords or wearing anything beyond hardened leather or mail.

EDIT: And given the fact that they are water/marsh-dwelling people, they actually may not even wear mail, for the same reason that Davos doesn't wear mail. It's too heavy to swim in and they would drown if they fell into the water.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; July 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

They'd need unique models as well. There are quite some hints that they are unusually small people, maybe even intermingled with children of the forest in ancient times. Apart from that, i'd second the idea, provided the replenishment is VERY slow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps not even a unit per se. Maybe just have them as the bodyguard unit of Howland Reed himself as they would automatically replenish themselves after battle yet there'd only be one unit of them.
    "I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement."

That would work. They'd all vanish if Howland Reed died, which makes perfect sense to me: the Crannogmen wouldn't fight for the Starks without him present. He's the one who was Ned's friend.

While i like the idea of implementing Crannogmen I foresee a couple problems.
    -If they spawn when moat cailin is under seige then they would have to spawn alone behind the enemy and they would be very easy to destroy.
    -This would be a lot more work for the team and I would prefer to get a 1.0 out within the year
    -hard to implement their combat style into a TW unit.
    -they would be a lot less effective outside of their home turf

I would prefer to have a script that did something along the lines of attrition. If moat cailin is besieged then the besieging army suffers 5% casualties per turn or something like that.

Another problem is that Greywater Watch isn`t included yet. See, the city is shifting and should be pretty much unconquerable.. So we haven`t included it yet.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Also, I hate to use the word "realistic" here, but the Crannogmen never participate in the wars apart from harassing the Ironborn when they're on their turf. It would probably work better to have a rate of attrition on non-Stark armies occupying Moat Cailin/Greywater Watch.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Emperor Napoleon's Avatar Libertus

The Irish kern or Deisi javilinmen would make good crannogmen dont you think? Kern have padded leather armour and Deisi Javilinmen reflect there fighting style

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's
    ranks."

- Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte

This mod aims to be 100% true to the books, but sadly, it is not possible.

I don't think that Crannogmen should be included in the mod. Their strenght is in picking off enemies with their darts without going in direct combat. Therefor they would fit very badly for the Total War game and would be, at best, arrow fodder and be cut to pieces very fast.

Instead I think that some kind of attrition for armies moving into the Neck that are at war with the Starks would be better. I am however afraid that such thing would not be possible to mod in. So in that regard I think that the Cannogmen simply shouldn't be included in the mod.

Yes, such attrition can`t be modded in, sadly.

We could make an unit, well but the main strength of the Crannogmen is their guerilla warfare with poisoned weapons.. And that can`t be shown in the game.

in a combining way...i propose

-rappresenting them in only one BG unit (howland reed) of archers
    -you could give that unit the following attributes (horde ,armour piercing and can hide anywhere)
    -and maybe ,even a hero ability ,let's say "poisoned weapons" or something
    (1 use ,relatively short ..30 secs...that just raises own army's "soldier_combat_effectiveness" and lowers enemy army's morale a bit)

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

can you make a scrit if enemy of the starks go to Neck to suffer casualties as if they are made by the Crannogman i mean smth like a plauge or earthquake event