Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Total War Reignited

Default Amazon Total War Reignited

Hi,

This is to announce a new Amazon Total War mod in progress. I have on another forum obtained permission through a third party to use Ares and Subrosa's mod as a base to create a new Amazon Total War mod.

It is called Amazon TW Reignited. Most models with new skins are already completed. Text and maps are being re-aligned as I type this message.

I want to thank Edorix at rtw.heavengames to suggest the logic to come up with a name for this mod. And I used the logic to come up with the name Amazon Total War – Reignited

This is from a message I sent to other parties...

I have a new mod of ATW, Re-ignited, and reluctantly stating that, yes, it does have both male and female upper torso nudity for a more historically accurate depiction of fighting around from 400-250bc.

Here are some major changes from previous Subrosa and Ares ATW mods.

The premises of the mod are as follows:

1. At around 270BC, unles your faction is a large empire with commerce and technological development, clothing and armors are expensive and time consuming to produce, so neat attires are things a warrior simply can not afford unless the unit is aristocratic or patrician. I saw in the previous Amazon TW releases where a small town of 700 population with a blacksmith shop can create a 100+ soldier combat unit complete with chain mails, shields, helmets, and weapons, and I asked myself, perhaps I can do a more structured and more realistic unit recruiting than that.

2. chain mail is very expensive to produce and as such it should not be too widely available to units.

3. After Subrosa and others started the outstanding Amazon TW mods, many archeological finds have since proved that perhaps Amazons are not just in the Greek storyteller's imagination. So it makes sense to have an updated version to reflect a less fantasy based Total War mod and such mod should be dedicated to ancient matriarchal society.

4. Many armor designs for the line fighting units at the time are frontal armors and not all-around armor suits, which really should be reserved for aristocratic units only. Historically speaking, the old thinking was that a fighting line unit with their back less protected would be less reluctant to turn their back towards the enemy and run away. Also such measure would save the governing entity a lot of expense on armor procurement. For units wearing frontal armors, their protecttion value are re-evaluated to reflect such changes.

5. All the units' hit points, protection value and so on, should be based on sound calculation of the unit's recruited personnel, equipment, fighting style, missile weapon. A unit should not possess an arrow hit power twice as much as the next unit on the roster, simply because the unit is an elite unit. Any unit's parameter should be based on good systematic technical evaluation. For example, if an amazon unit has a double bow, then it makes sense to have such a bow with twice the hit power. Or if an archer's unit shoot iron tipped or iron encased lead bolt, then it makes sense that the range can be much farther than a wooden shaft arrow.

6. Horses in ancient times are really glorified ponies, usually no more than 12 hands tall (or 48 inches approximately 120cm). This gives women great advantages as cavalry soldiers due to their more petite frame and lighter body weight. So this mod should have more women cavalry units in more factions. Also their armor and number of projectile store should be more than the men's cavalry unit.

7. Bronze armors are more proliferated than iron. And tougher than most would give them credit for. Even in modern days, the Beryllium Bronze alloy and other similar copper alloys can achieve 90% hardness of the best steel. So in region short of iron resources, most units should only have arrow tips, swords, or axes made out of iron, and the rest of equipment should be copper based instead. The iron can easily rust away, so the units equipped with iron armors will have higher up-keep costs.

Base one the aforementioned premises here are the major changes in the ATA Re-Ignited mod...

. Use of chain mails has been sharply curtailed. My calculation shows that in 250BC, it would cost 10,000 man hours by a skillful metal smith to create a complete suit of chain mail armor. Chain mailed are used mostly for limb armor as well as linking the pieces between major armors plate or coats.

. Armors are shown not to be perfect fit like the previous Amazon Mods. (See the Amazon Elite Archer Attachement picture)

. The four Amazon factions are Geothe (Jyazii), Thyssa, Libyan, and Amazonia.

Unlike the Subrosa mods, there are no Amazons based in British Isles, or Valkyrja in the Central Russia. Instead I have the Jiazii and the Thyssa who are ancient Amazon tribes originally guarding the Caucasus Gates but they have since been scattered. The Libyan Amazons are the Gorgons in the previous mods, but their skins are now less of the Africana persuasion, unless the units are local Nubian levies. The Libyan skins are more sun-tanned versions of other Amazon factions.

The Amazonia remain where there are and a mostly left unchanged except the infantry units are less fantastical with more cavalry units added.

. In general, many more Amazon cavalry units are created and foot units reduced. As a matter of fact the primary advantage of the Amazons in this mod would be their use of small mobile forces with great fire power.

. bronze armored units has less upkeep cost because the bronze alloys are less prone to rust away.

. like the Sarmatians and the Scythians in previous Amazon mods, Carthage and Iberia now have female units from their temple vestal virgins as recruits. Since Carthage is founded by Queen Diddo from legend, I think there ought to be more female warrior representation than the original RTW afforded this faction. However, unlike the Amazon units, these are more militia type units.

. Macedon now has regular supply of amazon cavalry as well as foot archer units, Thrace and Seleucid now have frontier Amazon horse archers.

. Nudity: many of the light units are naked from waist up, female and male warriors alike. To reflect the cost factor of equipping such units. Either that or the light units are garbed in animal pelts.

. Elephant units are now available to all Amazon factions, not just the Africana (Libya) faction.

. Big surprise with the use of fire.

. Also some missile units have long range capabilities due to the use of mano-ballista, double loaded bow, and shooting of iron casing lead bolt which is far more ballistically efficient than wooden shaft.

. Only Armenia, Libyan Amazon, Carthage, Iberia, Rome, Gaul, German, and Celts are deemed iron rich, the rest of the factions are more reliant on bronze armors for protection. Their swords, spear tip, or arrow tip, still remain to be iron.

. Cost and upkeep of iron armored units are increased exponentially higher.

. Only aristocratic units have full armor, their cost also reflects the expense to make such armor.

. The peasant rebel is the least properly attired. The regular units are somewhat better. The mercenary units are the best equipped and attired of all units.

. All the Amazon units are now less Hellenized. Their armor and helmets are more Central Asian style than Greek. So Corinthian helmets are mostly replaced by conical shaped helmet. Lamellar (scale) armors are more common than plate mail or chain mail. Many are coat mail (or brigandine) armors.

. Cavalry units are re-calibrated to show weight constraints. For example, it is not likely to have a mounted lighthorse unit with heavy shield, instead they would use Pelta or wicker shields riding a horse which is slightly larger than a pony. Only heavy cavalry troopers can carry heavy shields. Women cavalry can carry slightly heavier armor or equipment due to female's more petite frame and less body weight. In each new unit description I would try to describe their equipment to justify the protection values of such units.

TO BE WORKED ON:

. Some archery missile units shooting wooden shafts are more restricted on number of arrows available unless they are from a region where wood is plentiful and their technological advance can have lath technology to allow straight arrow shafts to be mass produced.

. Some old RTW units need to be less dressed.

On a personal note, I believe this mod is well worth the play time because in my experience, the RTW sometimes has more visual clarity than even the latest Shogun II if you have the 512x512 skin instead of 256x256.

I am pretty sure the Shogun II and many CA's fine TW games after RTW are much more advanced in many ways and I have tried them all.
    But I feel that RTW still has plenty to offer, and this is why I decided to create an Amazon Mod for RTW.

Thanks to Spartan198's information, I just set up an online album and put up some pictures for everyone to see.

Attached below are some snapshots to give some idea of the mod:

The album itself contain some nudity but I try to filter the links in this post to be clear of it. But I can not guarantee that.

SO IF YOU MIGHT BE OFFENDED BY NUDITY OF FEMALE UPPER TORSO IN COMBAT, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CONTINUING!

Amazon Brigandine Cavalry Ready For Battle

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Amazon Virgin Archer Melee

Amazon Brigantine Cavalry Charging Rebel Line

Amazon Brigandine Cavalry Smashing Enemy Line

Amazon Brigandine Archers Surrounded

Amazon Demi Lancer Melee

Night Raid of The Winged Maiden

The Fall Of A King

Night Battle Of The General

Last Stand Of The Amazon Axe Legion

Virgin Horse Archer Vanguishing The Foe

Annihilation of The Macedon

Carnage At The Tanais Bridge

Battle Of The Lighthorse Virgin Archers

Attack of The Guards

Amazon Militia Ready for Siege

Charge Of The Amazon Grenadier

Night March of The Guards

Attack Of The Amazon Elephant Troop

Battle Review of The Virgin Lighthorse Lancers

Battle Review of The Mounted Halberdiers

Skull Maiden vs. the SnakeHead Mercenary

Amazon Virgin Archers Breaching Rebel Line

Last edited by parthian shot; August 31, 2011 at 01:00 PM.

Default Re: Amazon Total War Reignited

That looks excellent! Be sure to include a modesty patch as well as the full version. The unit detail is great and im sure this will improve the historical accuracy of vanilla and that of the original A:TW

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro
    Roveredo in Piano, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy

I like this idea! Good luck!

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Nice works sis

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Looking good! +rep

Proudly under patronage of Ishan

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Looking forward to this new and awesome modification " Amazon:Total War Reignited ", looks promising and Good luck to everyone involved. cheers!

This is to update everyone on the progress.

- Almost all the permission to use the prior arts are in.

- adding same unit shooting different missile-projectile/stand-off weapon depending on temple type.
    This is a huge undertaking, as each unit must be re-defined for each temple type that can forge a weapon.

- Adding text to define each unit's rating justification (URJ).

- adding text to relate the background story of each new factions.
    Last edited by parthian shot; August 15, 2011 at 06:51 PM.

Hi, Just posted at the mod thread of the Alpha version of this mod. Still have to work on how to upload 240MB worth of data.

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by parthian shot View Post

This General - One Man, An Army of Females.
    Is this accurat that they were commanded by a men?

The guy holding the wind-sock flag is the standard bearer, not the commanding general who is one horse behind him.

The guy holding the wind-sock flag is the standard bearer, not the commanding general who is one horse behind him.
    Oh. My mistake, then. But the question still remains: What does one man do in a unit of c. 100 amazons?

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Oh. My mistake, then. But the question still remains: What does one man do in a unit of c. 100 amazons?
    Amazon is not about making men extinct, and it is not all women either, so why couldn't a man be the standard bearer ?

Amazon is not about making men extinct, and it is not all women either, so why couldn't a man be the standard bearer ?
    Was supposed to be a dirty joke

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

That lucky standard bearer...
    Also,great work indded...
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

isn't it obvious that common "standard bearer" is in fact a highly sought after position in ancient societies, and the fact that Amazon lean more toward women warrior's society... you should make dat standard bearer a girl not an ugly men like dat. I won't care if that man become the pack animal or shoe polishers, but it's better job for them rather than become highly prestigious standard bearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    That lucky standard bearer...
    Also,great work indded...
    and if they did employ a lone man in company of girls, he MUST BE CASTRATED
    *prepares a dane axe

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

My goodness! between the castration and the dirty jokes, we do have tough stances on both sides, do we ?

The way I see it, the mod is about the matriarchal society with women as their warrior protectors. So it is ok for the man to be where he is, as long as he conforms to the matriarchal culture.

Ask yourself:
    Romans arenīt about making women extinct, and it is not all women either, so why couldnīt a woman be the standard bearer?
    As a matter of fact, a woman couldnīt be a standard bearer in the roman (or any other ancient, apart from amazon) military.

Too Bad, in the Amazon Total War (3.0c), there are four Amazon Auxilia units. As far as I know there are commanders as well as standard bearers who are women in those units.

BTW, this is from the previous release. So it is not my idea alone.

There were vestal virgin units for Iberia and Carthage. Carthage, if you read the story line it is founded by Queen Diddo, a woman. Their standard sergeants are also women.

Women Horse Archer or Javelin units from Gaul or Celt whose standard bearer are also to be women.

So as far as I am concerned, that more than answer the points you made.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Ask yourself:

As a matter of fact, a woman couldnīt be a standard bearer in the roman (or any other ancient, apart from amazon) military.
    Last edited by parthian shot; August 19, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Let's think outside the box for a minute: Perhaps this lone male standard bearer is the son of a noble family? Or perhaps he's the son of one of the general's comrades who saved her life at one time and the son was given this prestigious position as a gift from the general to the comrade? Or perhaps the standard bearer is a member of the royal bloodline?

While it's true a man's army would see little battlefield use for a woman, a woman's army might have the exact opposite view. Reignited treats the Amazons as a historical reality rather than a myth, so it's only logical that their society would be quite similar in function to the Greeks, the Romans, etc., only the gender roles are reversed. The Greeks and the Romans didn't eradicate their women, so I see no reason why Amazons would eradicate their men. And when you consider that history has quite a few women who led armies of men and even fought on the front lines with them, why is this male standard bearer out of place?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Let's think outside the box for a minute: Perhaps this lone male standard bearer is the son of a noble family? Or perhaps he's the son of one of the general's comrades who saved her life at one time and the son was given this prestigious position as a gift from the general to the comrade? Or perhaps the standard bearer is a member of the royal bloodline?

While it's true a man's army would see little battlefield use for a woman, a woman's army might have the exact opposite view. Reignited treats the Amazons as a historical reality rather than a myth, so it's only logical that their society would be quite similar in function to the Greeks, the Romans, etc., only the gender roles are reversed. The Greeks and the Romans didn't eradicate their women, so I see no reason why Amazons would eradicate their men. And when you consider that history has quite a few women who led armies of men and even fought on the front lines with them, why is this male standard bearer out of place?
    Well, 1-Minute Researching Amazons per google said Amazons did in fact eradicate their Man.
    But well, this is maybe way to short researched.

But it might possible that he is some of these things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast