Thread: Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusader faction

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusader faction

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Let's build up your basic questions
    FACTS:

Faction List:
    30. (Papacy) (Kingdom of Jerusalem & Crusader States)

Greetings, I took a look around before posting but am still unclear on how this faction will work and be represented. I'm hoping to get a better idea of how this will work, having a great interest in the Crusades (as an avid BC player). WHat became the Kingdom of Jerusalem and later simply the Crusader states was extremely unique in history -- looking at it from a TW "faction" perspective, it would be comprised of elements of several other factions at first (France, various Italian States, German provinces, etc, and many others as years wore on).

Only later did it grow into it's own identity, namely marked by secular knights of Outremer that took on a style influenced by middle eastern dress and warefare along with of course, the religious knightly orders such as the Hospitallars, the Templars and Teutonic Knights.

In Dominion I see you've chosen to represent this faction's beginning as The Papacy, which surely has it's strong reasoning, but I wonder:

-how the units (coming really from other "factions") would be represented?
    -and how/when the KoJ would emerge as it's own faction -- or rather evolve/transition from the Papacy?
    -what system will be implemented to represent successive waves of westerners in the various "Crusades" that came?

I was very pleased to see this as part of the scope of the mod, the map, and the faction structure. Thanks for any more specific information you can give me!

Default Re: Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusader faction

As you've shown the faction list has been maxed out and so the Papal states has to Fully represent the crusader states (According to the facts and features the papacy will not evolve into the KoJ, however what you posted from the FAQ suggests otherwise?)

In the Grand Preview (reccomended viewing if you havewn't already, though very old) It was laid out that after a succcessful crusade the papacy would make very strong bids to buy the conquered region from you and therefore papal control of these crusade regions is supposed to resemble the true crusader states.

This is all we have been told, and some of that info is very old, but afaik still true.

So what i'm asuming is one of three options:

1. Papacy will have a permanent crusader tech-tree,

2. A crusader tech tree that is somehow triggered by succesful crusades

3. A fully fledged faction transition from Papacy to KoJ and then Crusade states

Only someone from the team will be able to clear up the exact details.

We know that religious orders are already being represented ingame differently from vanilla (and better) so they are covered but could perhaps have extra avaliability to the papacy/crusader states.

However as you mentioned there are many unique units we would all like to see representing the KoJ and Crusader states and i hope they are ingame in which case they'll have to come in the papacy tech tree.

I'm afraid i don't know what the situation is with hard coded unit-limits though? Could someone clear that up for me?

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusader faction

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt View Post
    In the Grand Preview (reccomended viewing if you havewn't already, though very old) It was laid out that after a succcessful crusade the papacy would make very strong bids to buy the conquered region from you and therefore papal control of these crusade regions is supposed to resemble the true crusader states.
    Interesting, I may have missed that part, or read it long ago. I assume then this means there is a mechanism for any Christian faction to join a Crusade, and if victorious at one city or another, are prompted to hand it over to Christendom (The papacy) for a grand sum? And if you are the Papacy then, obviously there's no need... but what confuses me about the Papacy being a faction is that it didn't realy exist as such and would have had no real "army" of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt View Post
    We know that religious orders are already being represented ingame differently from vanilla (and better) so they are covered but could perhaps have extra avaliability to the papacy/crusader states.
    I have no concept of vanilla only of the way BC treats the religious orders -- which is pretty great and fairly historically accurate in my eyes. Three main Orders are represented with early and late units (apart from the Teutonic which are only a late era Order).

So... Any official word or information on how the KoJ/Papacy faction works?