Thread: my mod not taking effect

Default my mod not taking effect

I know this is a simple startup question, but I cannot solve it. To test that I can create mods, I followed the instructions here to change the initial building in Satsuma, Shimazu home territory, from blacksmith to artisans. I followed the instructions here to make the mod visible to the game. I don't have any other mods in the game directory.

But, the mod causes a crash to desktop after selecting "new campaign". There is no place I can find, to see what is wrong. I downloaded another mod from here (all buildings take one turn) to see what it may do differently. But it seems to be set up the same way, and when I use it, I can see the effect.

Specifically, here is what I did.

1. Using PFM (version 1.6.5 beta) I extracted campaigns/jap_shogun/startpos.esf from patch5.pack in the game directory into a local file. This startpos.esf is 27 MB, the one in data.pack is 10 MB, and I assume we must use the latest one.

2. Opened the ESF file using ESF Editor (version 1.4.6, not 1.4.8) and found CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS \ CAMPAIGN_ENV \ CAMPAIGN_MODEL \ WORLD \ REGION_MANAGER \ REGIONS_ARRAY \ REGION \ REGION_SLOT_MANAGER \ REGION_SLOT_ARRAY \ REGION_SLOT \ BUILDING_MANAGER \ BUILDING. This is region number 5, satsuma, and building 8. The value is SHO_Region_Specialty_Smithing_1_Blacksmith.

3. Changed the value to SHO_Region_Specialty_Craftwork_1_Artisans, saved, exited, reloaded my new startpos.esf and verified the data was there.

4. Using PFM, created a new pack file, added the modified startpos.esf, changed to pack type "movie" and saved. In general movie type may make it more difficult to detect mod conflicts but it avoids the step of editing user.scripts.txt. (I did try type "mod" and an entry in user.scripts.txt, but that did not work either.)

5. Copy my modified pack file into the data directory. I've attached the pack file, zipped.

6. Run the game. The main game screen comes up fine. When I click "new campaign" and select Shimazu, the load screen appears, and after a few seconds the game crashes to desktop. There is no place where I can find, to look for messages about what is wrong.

Is there a step which I missed, or is something wrong in my attached pack file?
    Last edited by davidlallen; July 10, 2011 at 05:45 PM.