Thread: Where is preferences.txt?

Default Where is preferences.txt?

I can't find it in my Rome - Total war main folder and I have the 1.5 patch. Everywhere on the net says that it's on that folder but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Where is preferences.txt?

You need to go to options first and change any of the settings e.g. the unit size (don't worry you can change
    it back later again).

Now get back to the main menu and congrats you've just created the preferences.txt file.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

The File is in the preferences folder in your RTW folder.
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Chris, what do you mean by main menu? You mean the Rome - total war directory?

I tried exactly what you suggested, and I can't find the preferences.txt or the preferences file.

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

just search it and it should come up
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

I can't search for it either. :[

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

why not
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Please supply some technical details.

1) What operating system are you using.
    2) Where have you installed the game
    3) If you are using Vista or 7 what have you done with UAC?
    4) Have you launched the game once?

The main menu that Chris was referring to is the in-game main menu. The preferences.txt file is not created until you start the game and change some graphic options.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

1) Windows 7
    2) Program Files(x86)/Activision/Rome Total War
    3) UAC?
    4) Yes. However, I had to re-install it due to an error, but the saved games were all there. So I'm not sure if the computer would detect this as the prologue being ran at least once.

The purpose of me asking this is that I want to install SPQR. I did, but when I try one of the campaigns, the game crashes to desktop. I read the manual and it says that if I newly installed the game, I have to make sure that the Prologue option in the preferences.txt says "yes". Since I get a CTD, I'm assuming that it says "No", which means that I need to access preferences.txt and change it but not sure how to.

Citizen

With mods it's best to simply take a copy of the R:TW install and install the mod on that. This keeps your R:TW install in a working condition and you should never have to install again. Simply each time you want a mod make a new copy. You can delete old copies and it does not mean you have to uninstall the game to do so.

With Windows Vista and Windows 7 the "c:\program files (x86)" folder is 'protected' - you can install games there but it won't allow you to add files or update files there. This is controlled by UAC - User Account Control. It's best to turn that off or at least put it to the lowest setting. Simply type in User Account Control in the 'search programs and files' box on the Windows start menu.

Where to put the 'User Account Control':
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Showing the UAC at it's lowest setting:

Now, if you install the game to the "c:\program files (x86)" folder the changes you make will end up in the 'virtual store' or 'appdata' area. This is something like c:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War'. If you are not sure about this then simply put %appdata% in the 'search programs and files' box on the Windows start menu. You will then get a window open with the AppData folder - simply follow the logical path to where the game is installed. Older versions of the game had Activision rather than The Creative Assembly.

The AppData folder will be a hidden folder. To reveal it you need to change your folder options - simply type in 'folder options' in the 'search programs and files' box on the Windows start menu.

You will get a screen that looks something like this:

As you can see I've checked the box next to 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'. I uncheck the box marked 'hide extensions of known file types' - that way I always see the file extension.

To get around a lot of the problems with this I install my games into my own 'games' folder and not the "c:\program files (x86)" one. This will usually mean that the save games, replays and the preference.txt file will all be in the folder you set up for the game and not somewhere else.

This is an old version of how I set up my folders - it's from Windows XP but the idea behind the different folders is the same.

If the mod is 'mod foldered' then you can use one copy of the R:TW folder for several mods. However, I personally like to keep my mods in thier own copy of the R:TW folder - sometimes a mod can overwrite files in the shared part of the folder such as menus etc.
    Last edited by Brusilov; July 10, 2011 at 07:25 PM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Thanks so much!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by pikeman93 View Post
    Thanks so much!
    No problems. Any questions post back - it may be a day or so before I see it though.