Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Egypt Realism Mod

Default Egypt Realism Mod

Egypt Realism Mod

Historical Basis

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In 1769, a demand came to Ali Bey for a force of 12,000 men, to be employed by the Porte in the Russo-Turkish War of 1768–1774. It was suggested at Constantinople, however, that Ali would employ this force when he collected it for securing his own independence, and a messenger was sent by the Porte to the pasha with orders for Ali's execution. Ali, being apprised of the despatch of this messenger by his agents in Constantinople, ordered that the messenger be waylaid and killed. The despatches were seized and read by Ali before an assembly of the beys, who were assured that the order for execution applied to all alike, and he urged them to fight for their lives. His proposals were received with enthusiasm by the beys whom he had created. Egypt was declared independent, and the pasha given 48 hours to quit the country. Daher El-Omar Pasha of Acre, to whom official information of the step taken by Ali Bey was sent, promised his aid and kept his word by compelling an army sent by the pasha of Damascus against Egypt to retreat.

The Porte was not able to take active measures at the time for the suppression of Ali Bey, who endeavoured to consolidate his dominions by sending expeditions against marauding tribes in both north and south Egypt, reforming the finance, and improving the administration of justice. His son-in-law, Abu-'l-Dhahab, was sent to subject the Hawwarah, who had occupied the land between Aswan and Asyut, and a force of 20,000 men was sent to conquer Yemen. An officer named Ismail Bey was sent with 8,000 men to acquire the eastern shore of the Red Sea, and Ilasan Bey was sent to occupy Jidda. In six months, the greater part of the Arabian peninsula was subject to Ali Bey, and he appointed a cousin of his own as Sharif of Mecca—who bestowed on Ali by an official proclamation the titles Sultan of Egypt and Khan of the Two Seas. In 1771, in virtue of this authorisation, he then struck coins in his own name and ordered his name to be mentioned in public worship.

Abu-'l-Dhahab was sent with a force of 30,000 men in the same year to conquer Syria, and agents were sent to negotiate alliances with Venice and Russia. Reinforced by Ali Bey's ally Daher El-Omar, Abu-'l-Dahab easily took the chief cities of Palestine and Syria, ending with Damascus, but at this point he appears to have entered into secret negotiations with the Porte, by which he undertook to restore Egypt to Ottoman suzerainty. He proceeded to evacuate Syria, and marched with all the forces he could collect to Upper Egypt, occupying Assiut in April 1772. Having collected additional troops from the Bedouins, he marched on Cairo. Ismail Bey was sent by Ali Bey with a force of 3,000 to check his advance, but Bastin Ismil and his troops joined Abu-'l-Dhahab. Ali Bey intended at first to defend himself as long as possible in the citadel at Cairo, but receiving information that his friend Daher El-Omar of Acre was still willing to give him refuge, he left Cairo for Syria on 8 April 1772, one day before the entrance of Abu-'l-Dhahab.

At Acre, Ali's fortune seemed to be restored. A Russian vessel anchored outside the port and, in accordance with the agreement which he had made with the Russian empire, he was supplied with stores, ammunition, and a force of 3,000 Albanians. He sent one of his officers, Ali Bey al-Tantawi, to recover the Syrian towns evacuated by Abu-'l-Dhahab now in the possession of the Porte. He himself took Jaffa and Gaza, the former of which he gave to his friend Daher El-Omar of Acre. On 1 February 1773, he received information from Cairo that Abu-'l-Dhahab had made himself Sheikh al-Balad, and in that capacity was practising unheard-of extortions, which were making Egyptians call for the return of Ali Bey. He accordingly started for Egypt at the head of an army of 8,000 men, and on 19 April met the army of Abu-'l-Dhahab at Salihiyya. Ali's forces were successful at the first engagement, but when the battle was renewed two days later, he was deserted by some of his officers and prevented by illness and wounds from himself taking the conduct of affairs. The result was a complete defeat for his army, after which he declined to leave his tent; he was captured after a brave resistance and taken to Cairo, where he died seven days later.

Initially, this will be a ETF based mod. We might make it Vanilla-based and DMUC-based later on.

The mod will start in 1771, exactly after Egypt captured Damascus from the Ottomans. The Syrian loss will be previewed by making the city start out as rebellious. The mod will end in 1811, which is when Mameluke power ended in Egypt due to Muhammad Ali.

Starting Position:

-Cairo (Capital), Jerusalem and Damascus (rebellious)
    -Enemy: Ottoman Empire | Allies: Russia and Venice | Trade: Russia, Marathas Confederacy

Features (What we aim to do):

-Historically correct initial conditions for Egypt.
    -Sultan Ali bey El Kabir is the first Sultan.
    -New Loading screens
    -New Units
    -Has a historically accurate republic flag.

What we have completed :

Mamelukes name changed to "Egypt", map is correct to the in-game adjustments, a correct Middle-Eastern portrait was put, date got changed to 1771 and a description was added:

Cairo is the capital:

Palestine and Syria have been conquered by Egypt from the Ottoman Empire

Syria starts out as restless (an angered nobility). This is a representation of Abu al-Dhahab's rebellion, which started in Syria, against Ali Bey.

Major nation status. Enemy: Ottoman Empire |Allies: Russia and Venice |Trade partners: Marathas Confederacy and Russia

We have added a Republic flag:

New Units

Fellahin Bashi Muskets

Beta Release

*You must have downloaded HusslerTW's Empire Total Faction mod to use this mod

1-Download this ESF file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?y1cfbh88ha8tawy

2- Go to data\campaigns\ETF\2 and replace the Startpos file that is in it with the one that you downloaded from step 1.

*Put the original ETF startpos in a safe place. It's a backup.

3-Open the game and play as Egypt.

NOTES: This mod does not have the Republic flag file installed. It does not have new units. Please report any bugs or comments! Also please tell us if you are willing to help make units for this mod.

Mod team (we are looking for more team members; post to join)

Ahmed IV-Scripting, Historical research (Mod Leader)
    RAFAEL-Scripting, Implementation, Unit designer
    oss1215-Historical research, Unit designer

Special Thanks:

-HusslerTW for making the ETF mod and for his generous modding help
    -Lord Bucky for making the Republic Flag

===============================================
    Feel free to give us suggestions.
    Last edited by Ahmed IV; August 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Default Re: Egypt Realism Mod

great idea hope some modder would make this happen

Yes of course is very good idea.
    I often played for Egypt in MTW II. But Аhmed IV and oss1215 - from my own experience will tell you if you do not learn even the simplest knowledge of modding to do the work is unlikely someone will do it for you.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I agree with Satyricon, the best way is to learn about modding and create the mod yourself.
    You will be help, at least for tips and advice about modding, but there is more mods than modders.

To create a mod can be divide into steps :
    1. searching for documents and picture to define a historically accurate unit roster ;
    2. searching for accurate 3D models or models that can be modified to create an accurate one ;
    3. 3D modding (mostly with MilkShape) ;
    4. eventually rework the UV map (particularly if the model is heavily modified) ;
    5. create texture ;

It's not difficult, but it need time and perseverance.
    Last edited by wangrin; July 09, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Well the truth is, I have started very basic modding, based on HusserlTW's ETF mod. I did a guide on how to make Mamlukes start in Cairo, renamed them as Egypt, in late campaign.

I know I could do some things but I won't get very far. For example, if a problem arises I won't know how to fix it.

So now I have a request and a question:

1- I definitely think this mod has the potential and so I will do what I can. If anyone else wants to help, then post here.

2-Should this mod be based on another mod or the vanilla? Even though I'm strting to think that if I am to use those years for early and late campaign it'll have to be a vanilla-based mod, since most late mods start in 1783.
    Last edited by Ahmed IV; July 09, 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Okay Im in Ahmed - I myself would like to get into modding so this might help me get started if its a collab.

Great. Also I'll help you when you start your modding project.

I guess at this point we still need a few more members. Modding-wise, I'll wait till you tell me the results of that guide before we go any further.

Yep, and ETW is only at 70% and its been over a day with my laptop on so its gonna get a massive break tommorrow.

Right now we are working on editing the ETF-Warpath camapign and making an Egypt Realism mod for that. If we are sucessful for that we will make an original mod based on the Vanilla game.

So far (Thanks to XSHEAFFEYX for changing the scripts, based on my guide, and taking the picture):

-Made Cairo the capital
    Last edited by Ahmed IV; July 12, 2011 at 08:41 PM.

We successfully changed the Faction name to Egypt:

Initial Government under Sultan Humayun I

Following the historical basis in 1971 (will fix year soon), Egypt owns Jerusalem and Damascus too.

Feel free to give us suggestions/comments.

madrush's Avatar Senator

how about some better units, using peasent grade units is annoying and stressful when it comes to matching up againest every other faction

From what I know Egypt pretty much has the same units as the Ottoman Empire.

I can't make promises, since we are new to modding, but we will definitely try to make new units.

What do you think of these:

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...=1096619&word=

Not exactly historically accurate in terms of the time range, but will have to do...unless I can get a better website.
    Last edited by Ahmed IV; July 14, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Pictures from NYPL are a bit out of ETW time line but could easily fit with Victoria Mod.

I think it could be easier for you to begin with retexture and/or slight modifications for existing Ottoman units.
    For instance, changing hat or legs or any part is a good way to learn how to merge them and assign vertex weight and how to modify UV Map.
    Create a new hat is a good way to learn about MilkShape functions (snap, weld vertex, extrude edge, duplicate faces, select vertex/face, move, scale or rotate are the most useful ones).

Then, when more practiced, you could try to create heavily modified units.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Good idea. I'll try that. What's the UV map btw?

Patrician Artifex

UV Map for Unwrapped Volume Map.
    It's a projection of texture from a volume (3D) to a plane (2D), a bit the difference between the globe and a map of the world (Mercator or any other projection system).

You can see and transform it using UU3D for instance.
    But software like Blender do it too.

first i want to be part of the team and provide historical and research part of the mod

this is the egyptian flag from 1517 until 1867 during the ottoman conquest of egypt

and heres the mamluk flag

but in my oppinion egypt should start out as protectorate with high level of unrest as it says here from wikipedia

Egypt was always a difficult province for the Ottoman Sultans to control, due in part to the continuing power and influence of the Mamluks, the Egyptian military caste who had ruled the country for centuries. As such, Egypt remained semi-autonomous under the Mamluks until it was invaded by the French forces of Napoleon I in 1798. After the French were expelled, power was seized in 1805 by Muhammad Ali Pasha, an Albanian military commander of the Ottoman army in Egypt.
    this means egypt was only under the ottoman influence by name but it had a separate goverment and ruler who used to recieve missions from the ottoman sultan(الباب العالي) from time to time. and the mamluks had always held power in egypt until muhamad ali pasha disposed of them in 1801
    Last edited by oss1215; July 18, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

As for the flag, I actually like the one one that CA did for the Mamelukes.

The Ottoman flag wouldn't work because we are setting the mod after Egypt breaks away in 1768. So the flag wouldn't work. As for the Mamelukes flag, that was the flag of the Mameluke Sultanate. It was Long gone after 1517.

So as a flag, we'll use the one that CA made. When I changes to a republic, we will make it so the flag is the present dY Egypt flag.

Agree?

And thanks for joining. I'll add you.

Please look up more about Egypt's diplomacy, trade during this time.

this is a short overview about how egypt was able to break from the ottoman empire during the rule of aly pasha and how did they redirect there policies with europe during that time
    Most scholars of Egyptian history now agree that the political and economic changes that occurred in the early nineteenth century had their origins not in the French invasion of 1798 but rather in events that occurred in Egypt itself in the latter half of the eighteenth century. At that time, political and military power was consolidated in the hands of the Mamluk Ali Bey al Kabir (1760-66) and his successor, Muhammad Bey Abu adh Dhahab (1772-75). Before 1760 a balance of power and separate spheres of influence were maintained by the Mamluk beylicate, which controlled the civil administration and derived its revenues from the rural tax farms, and by the Mamluks, who dominated the military and derived their revenues from the urban tax farms and the customs house.

In 1760 Ali Bey gained control of the military and drove the sultan's governor from the country. He issued firmans (decrees) in his own name, redirected the state revenues to his own use, and attempted to recreate the medieval Mamluk empire by invading Syria. In addition, Ali Bey tried to strengthen commercial ties with Europe by encouraging trade and attempting to open the Port of Suez to European shipping.

Ali Bey ruled only briefly, but his successors, especially Muhammad Bey, continued his policies. These two beys effectively eliminated Ottoman control and repositioned Egypt at the center of a newly emerging network of international relationships that embraced the lands of the eastern Mediterranean, the Red Sea coasts, and Europe. Thus, Napoleon Bonaparte did not "open" an isolated Egypt to the West, nor was Muhammad Ali Pasha in the nineteenth century the originator of the policies responsible for Egypt's transformation. Only Ali Bey's dramatic expulsion from the country and Muhammad Bey's premature death of a fever prevented them from using the authority they acquired to carry on those policies that are associated with Egypt's revival in the nineteenth century.

as for trade in 1500s during mamluk rule the portugeese discovered the route around africa to india thus decreasing trade coming through egypt leading to a financial crisis in egypt thus weakining the mamluks and they fell to tha ottomans . however during ottoman period trade and economy used to be fairly better . but in th middle of the 18 century when egypt rebelled against ottomans egypt began to open its ports to european trade thus making egypt center of trade to the middle east as it overlooks and the mediteranian sea and the red sea that led to india.

as for diplomacy when egypt was under ottoman control it used to aid ottoman empire in naval and land battles thus entering the war on the side of the ottomans but this changed in the russo turkish war (1768–1774) when the ottoman sultan asked egypt to levy an army to aid him egypt used that army to rebell against the ottomans thus entering a state of war with the ottomans . during that period egypt was stalked by european powers like england and france because of its vital position in trade thus european powers may have shown friendly relations to egypt but infact they wanted to invade egypt and controll it
    Last edited by oss1215; July 19, 2011 at 09:18 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast