Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a submod which makes all units more endurant?

Tomahawk's Avatar Civis

Default Is there a submod which makes all units more endurant?

Units in this mod take casualties far too quickly, route too easily and cavalry is overpowered. For example, I just witnessed a generals bodyguard unit of 32 men slaughter half of the troops of a full strenght professional spearman unit of 200 men, with a frontal charge, almost instantly, while the bodyguard unit barely lost any men. I can no longer tolerate stuff like that, so is there a submod that fixes this?

Default Re: Is there a submod which makes all units more endurant?

lemme guess you let your units get charged and now you're mad ?

Tomahawk's Avatar Civis

Yeah, I let my units get charged, what else am I suppose to do when facing an army with cavalry? And no, I'm not mad. In case you failed to figure it out yourself, I'm looking for help, and your post isn't helpful at all.

The short-ish spears carried by most spearmen can't really prevent units from getting smashed when charged by heavily armoured cavalry with lances and I don't think they're supposed to. They can only absorb the charge. You need long weapons likes pikes to actually stop a charge in its tracks.

Heavy cav needs to be drawn into a pitched battle by surrounding them once the charge has ended, force them to use swords or whatever "sidearm" they have other than the lance. It's why heavy cav is so slow to replenish in RR although generals can be plentiful if one "spams" them.

It's not that hard to deal with once you get used to it but you can't expect heavy cav to get impaled on spears and die just as they make contact during a charge, the spearmen just can't do that. First the charge needs to be absorbed (one way or the other) and then you start killing them. You can use stakes or peasant cannon fodder but militia or whatever spearmen are at hand do the job just fine and they're always plentiful.

2H axemen (even low tier ones like the Woodsmen) can be a great follow up once spearmen bite the bullet because 2H axes have ap and a small bonus vs. cav.

In any case there is no submod for this afaik.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; July 08, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Libertus

Losses are to be expected and the game is balanced enough as it is. Bring spearmen, they will not lose as many units and then just hem the cavalry in with more units from the flanks or shoot them to pieces from the sides. there are many tactics
    I once had my peasants charged, and they lost 90% of unit strength, but my other peasants beat the cavalry to a pulp. it was light cav, tho. spearmen or heavy infantry would be needed for heavy cav.

Tactics for vanilla, might still be useful:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=334188

EDIT: looks like Jean beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Yeah, I let my units get charged, what else am I suppose to do when facing an army with cavalry? And no, I'm not mad. In case you failed to figure it out yourself, I'm looking for help, and your post isn't helpful at all.
    theres 2 ways to interpret your first post, either u did the charge and simply think its too easy and looking for a way that helps AI handle it better, and ofc the answer that has been given already.
    sadly my ability to read thoughts doesn't help when trying to determine the meaning of something written

Oh and javelins are amazing cavalry killers in SS. Mounted or foot javeliniers will shred even heavy cav. like bodyguards.

Tomahawk's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    The short-ish spears carried by most spearmen can't really prevent units from getting smashed when charged by heavily armoured cavalry with lances and I don't think they're supposed to. They can only absorb the charge. You need long weapons likes pikes to actually stop a charge in its tracks.

Heavy cav needs to be drawn into a pitched battle by surrounding them once the charge has ended, force them to use swords or whatever "sidearm" they have other than the lance. It's why heavy cav is so slow to replenish in RR although generals can be plentiful if one "spams" them.

It's not that hard to deal with once you get used to it but you can't expect heavy cav to get impaled on spears and die just as they make contact during a charge, the spearmen just can't do that. First the charge needs to be absorbed (one way or the other) and then you start killing them.

I guess that makes sense, but losing half of the troops of a full strenght spearman unit to the initial charge by a small cavalry unit is not something I'm willing to accept, regardless of whether it's realistic or not. I might be able to accept it if it was a flanking attack or a rear attack and by a larger unit. And this topic isn't just about the overpowered cavalry. I also think that units take casualties too quickly in other situations as well, and they route too quickly as well. I prefer battles where the fighting takes more time than getting troops into their positions and chasing routing enemies.

Libertus

Oh and javelins are amazing cavalry killers in SS. Mounted or foot javeliniers will shred even heavy cav. like bodyguards.
    You are right, I killed 6/8 Moorish generals (including 3 chalifs) by javelins as the Kingdom of León. Great stuff

@Tomahawk you could try the Bigger, Huger and Realistic Battles + Speed + Morale mods
    that's what I use, they don't touch the bodyguards, to make them less of a pulverizing force
    Last edited by Peter Bolland; July 08, 2011 at 09:28 AM.

I also think that units take casualties too quickly in other situations as well, and they route too quickly as well. I prefer battles where the fighting takes more time than getting troops into their positions and chasing routing enemies.
    try BGR IV then, enemy generals all have 8 - 10 command stars as well as other nice boni, no more random routing i assure u

I like the way heavy cav is in 6.4.

In 6.3 I thought it was underpowered and took far too many casualties doing what it was supposed to do. It's still pretty ridiculous how long a six-star or higher general can stay alive while being alone and surrounded by halberds, but for the most part it's an improvement.

I guess that makes sense, but losing half of the troops of a full strenght spearman unit to the initial charge by a small cavalry unit is not something I'm willing to accept, regardless of whether it's realistic or not.
    The only advice I can give you is to either put spears in loose formation so fewer of them get hit (but this means cav. will get to your rear), play late campaigns and use only pikemen who can effectively stop a charge or lower the cav. unit sizes in the EDU, especially the bodyguards who arguably should only be a small general's retinue and not a major fighting force.

I also think that units take casualties too quickly in other situations as well, and they route too quickly as well. I prefer battles where the fighting takes more time than getting troops into their positions and chasing routing enemies.
    If you're playing 6.4 the RC system actually places more emphasis on defense and staying power. Attack values tend to be lower which is why you see peasant archers with 1 attack or pikes with 1 attack or spear militias with 1 attack, etc.

I think you're either basing your experience on heavy cavalry charges or just want your battles to last really, really long.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bolland View Post
    You are right, I killed 6/8 Moorish generals (including 3 chalifs) by javelins as the Kingdom of León. Great stuff
    Javelins are so good I almost consider them an exploit.

It's not that hard to deal with once you get used to it but you can't expect heavy cav to get impaled on spears and die just as they make contact during a charge, the spearmen just can't do that. First the charge needs to be absorbed (one way or the other) and then you start killing them. You can use stakes or peasant cannon fodder but militia or whatever spearmen are at hand do the job just fine and they're always plentiful.

2H axemen (even low tier ones like the Woodsmen) can be a great follow up once spearmen bite the bullet because 2H axes have ap and a small bonus vs. cav.

no, the spears don't absorb the charge. the spearmen get slaughtered. and even in sidearm combat, cavalry just swing their swords and slaughter entire units. I certainly don't want heavy cavalry to die on contact, that's ridiculous, but i would like them not to be able to slaughter elite infantry/spearmen in a single charge. spear militia are rendered useless by this-every time a spear militia unit gets charged (and don't get started about avoiding the charge, cavalry is many times faster than infantry and eventually, you WILL get charged) it is wiped out.
    The way combat works in SS right now is utterly innacurate. You will be hard pressed to find a single medieval battle in which a single cavalry charge wipes out entire units of men.
    Of course, this is not an only SS phenomenon, but a m2tw thing. Charges are overpowered and casualties are too high in every mod there is. But SS takes it to the next level.

EDIT: is RC 2.0 integrated in SS? if not, where can i get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Tomahawk's Avatar Civis

@Tomahawk you could try the Bigger, Huger and Realistic Battles + Speed + Morale mods
    that's what I use, they don't touch the bodyguards, to make them less of a pulverizing force
    It doesn't seem to support 6.3, or am I mistaken? so I don't think that's an option because I use 6.3, because when I tried to install 6.4 it messed up the mod.

The only advice I can give you is to either put spears in loose formation so fewer of them get hit (but this means cav. will get to your rear), play late campaigns and use only pikemen who can effectively stop a charge or lower the cav. unit sizes in the EDU, especially the bodyguards who arguably should only be a small general's retinue and not a major fighting force.

If you're playing 6.4 the RC system actually places more emphasis on defense and staying power. Attack values tend to be lower which is why you see peasant archers with 1 attack or pikes with 1 attack or spear militias with 1 attack, etc.

I think you're either basing your experience on heavy cavalry charges or just want your battles to last really, really long.
    I'm not basing this on my experience on heavy cavalry charges, I'm basing this on the dozens or hundreds of battles I've played with this mod. And I don't want my battles to last really really long, I just don't them to be as short as they tend to be now.
    Last edited by Tomahawk; July 08, 2011 at 09:50 AM.

Libertus

ask in the thread and if needed provide ignasigh with the 6.3 EDU. I'm sure he can make it for you. Upgrading to 6.4 is a better idea, tho
    Last edited by Peter Bolland; July 08, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Tomahawk's Avatar Civis

ask in the thread and if needed provide ignasigh with the 6.3 EDU. I'm sure he can make it for you. Upgrading to 6.4 is a better idea, tho
    Alright, I might ask there later, can't be arsed to that now, though, as I'm gonna be busy with some other stuff than playing MTW2 for a while. Upgrading to 6.4 would a bad idea, by the way. Last time I did that it made the game crash whenever I started it up, if I remember right.

What difficulty are you playing on? In my experience only very low tier armies led by a captain occasionally route quickly on VH. Armies led by a general especially with BGR tend to fight to the bitter end unless you manage to kill the general first. Casualties... you'd need to increase defense alot and reduce attack to have less casualties which then means you'd need to re-balance missile units as well since too high defense and they become nearly useless.

In my opinion early cavalry is over-powered except for Normans and Byzantines. Most other heavy cavalries in 1100s were more like medium cavalry. Though I have no problem with spear militia in the beginning having trouble stopping a charge of even light cavalry. Later as you get better armor and some xp even militia can make trouble for all but the heaviest cavalry. For the period 1200-1300 heavy cavalry charges ruled most battlefields. Changes in tactics and better employment of infantry necessary for siege warfare began to change that so that heavy cavalry charge was still powerful but numerous battles show infantry winning the main part of the battle with just some heavy cavalry support.

Also professional spear units with schitrom or spearwall etc do very well in stopping cavalry. If cavalry catch them moving and unbraced though what do you expect? There are a few infantry that actually can meet cavalry charge head on when moving but most do better braced.

give everyone 2 hp, that will make battle last longer,
    on cavalry, use cavalry against them. you could alway reduce the mass of the cav though

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Upgrading to 6.4 would a bad idea, by the way. Last time I did that it made the game crash whenever I started it up, if I remember right.
    Advising against 6.4 just because UAC effs up your install is a bad idea as well
    Check the tech help section and the release topic for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    What difficulty are you playing on? In my experience only very low tier armies led by a captain occasionally route quickly on VH. Armies led by a general especially with BGR tend to fight to the bitter end unless you manage to kill the general first. Casualties... you'd need to increase defense alot and reduce attack to have less casualties which then means you'd need to re-balance missile units as well since too high defense and they become nearly useless.

In my opinion early cavalry is over-powered except for Normans and Byzantines. Most other heavy cavalries in 1100s were more like medium cavalry. Though I have no problem with spear militia in the beginning having trouble stopping a charge of even light cavalry. Later as you get better armor and some xp even militia can make trouble for all but the heaviest cavalry. For the period 1200-1300 heavy cavalry charges ruled most battlefields. Changes in tactics and better employment of infantry necessary for siege warfare began to change that so that heavy cavalry charge was still powerful but numerous battles show infantry winning the main part of the battle with just some heavy cavalry support.

Also professional spear units with schitrom or spearwall etc do very well in stopping cavalry. If cavalry catch them moving and unbraced though what do you expect? There are a few infantry that actually can meet cavalry charge head on when moving but most do better braced.
    Even byzantine and norman cavalry should not wipe out infantry units twice their size on impact, when the infantry is braced. While i agree that cavalry should rule the battlefield, in SS infantry is rendered near useless early on. Infantry should suffer decent (but not crippling) casualties by a charge by early knights, and be able to hold their ground to an extent. And the knights, when using their swords, should not be able to stay among spearmen and destroy them uncontested (which is what happens now.) if the infantry are unprofessional, (like spear militia) they should rout, cuz a charging horse is scary as hell. if they are professionals, they should be able to stand their ground for a time before the inevitable rout.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast