Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Third Age's greatest battles

Hugyfew's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Third Age's greatest battles

Name of battle: Elven generals are BOOOOS!

Factions: High Elves (me) and rebels (formerly Isengard units, but then I killed their last Chieftain, and the faction was destroyed)

Generals: N/A N/A

Mod: Third Age (duh)

Army sizes: 15 Eldarinwë Nobles (that includes the general), 500 rebels

Tactics: Hit and run

The War: Let's exaggerate like the Americans about their petty squabbles against the indians and call this war "The Scouring of Dunland"

The outcome: I won. Totally won. What made this battle so great, was that 52% of all the enemy were killed by the general ALONE. And I mean, alone alone. Not with any other elf on his side. You see, all of his bodyguard had been killed by the enemy, that he had to fight against the enemy himself. And he did. Oh yes he did. This battle may be the thing I will think of on my deathbed (jk). My general would charge at the foe, cut through the unit, and continue on. Then he'd go on little, stop, turn back, charge again cutting a bloody swathe, and again moving on. Epic.

Icon: Appeared.

Foederatus

DAC submod

Battle of the last king

Isengard(Me) versus Northern Duendain

Saurmon, and 3 Nazgul, versus Aragorn

Roughly the same amount of units

Saurmon, the ring bearer was sent to the front and along with his elite infantry and trolls decimated their lines, with the Nazgul calvary routing their archers. Aragorn killed many of my units before death.

The war started after Saurmon betrayed Sauron and took the ring for himself, giving himself immense power, and the Nazgul betrayed their old master and flocked to him. Rohan was destroyed swiftly, and the Dunlands bravely held off the north while I fought the misty mountain, elves, and the shadow of mirkwood. Then, after setting up a wall against Harad/Mordor/Gondor/Corsairs, I attacked the north.

The battle signified the end of man alike as Aragorn fell. It destroyed my main worry from the north, and it allowed me too swiftly destroy the rest of the scattered yet powerful forces of the Northern Duendain.

It appeared as a great battle.

I'll post some of my best battles....well, those that I have screenied at least:

MOS 1.6:

Battle of Nowhere

Factions: Eriador (me) vs. Orcs of Misty Mountains

Commanders: King Aragorn vs. nameless captain

Numbers: 56 vs. 1009

War: Rise of Arnor

Aragorn with Grey Company, while travelling through wilderness in pursuit of their quest, were attacked by goblin raiding party. Having both speed and ranged advantage, they used their bows first while keeping out of range of enemy javelins and shortbows, then charging from unit to unit until the goblins finally routed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arg1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	530.1 KB 
ID:	308684

Memorial: yes

Day of the Cheating Dead

Factions: Eriador (me) vs. Orcs of Gundabad

Commanders: King Aragorn vs. Lord Lagbug, Lagduf and unnamed captain

Numbers: 2287 vs. 7339

War: The Gundabad offensive

After gaining the help of Oathbreakers, King Aragorn used them to conquer the pesky Gundabad orcs. As his army approached Gram, it was confronted by majority of orcs' armed forces. But the undead proved to be even tougher than expected. This si mostly memorable for amount of casualties, there was nothing really heroic about using these units.

Name:	ARCH.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	573.1 KB 
ID:	308685

Memorial: no

MOS 1.62 with some custom artillery balancing:

Battle of Dol Guldur

Factions: Woodland Realm vs. Mordor

Commanders: Prince Legolas vs. Witch King, Khamul the Easterling and bunch of unnamed captains

Numbers: 1719 vs. 4341

This battle could be considered the start of Amon Lanc campaign. Using the ranged superiority of elves, Legolas managed to force Witch King's hand to attack the elf army in its defensive position. Although him and his fellow Nazgul Khamul proved to be tough to banish, they eventually fell, albeit only for a while, under mass of elven arrows. The disorganized remaining orcs were easy to break.

Name:	guld1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	614.7 KB 
ID:	308686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guld2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	587.8 KB 
ID:	308687

Memorial: yes

Now for something a bit different...

Amon Lanc campaign

Factions: Woodland Realm vs. Mordor

Commanders: Prince Legolas, Valdaglerion, Mordemirdanian vs. Witch King, Khamul the Easterling, several orc generals and bunch of unnamed captains

Numbers: estimated, approx. 4000 elves and 20 ents vs. 20000+ orcs, trolls and occassional Mumakils

Years: 2984 TA-2991 TA

Even after being banished for the first time, Witch King didn't want to give up his seat at Dol Guldur, and launched several offensives against it. Armies were usually led by Witch King himself, Khamul or one of orc generals. Battles were usually similar to the previous one...thin infantry line protecting large number of archers, with some horsearchers doing the flanking, although later, Ents carried the main load, slaughtering orcs by thousands. The campaign ended in 2991 with destruction of One Ring.

Name:	ALC.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	710.2 KB 
ID:	308688

Memorials: 6

Ithilien slaughter

Factions: Gondor vs. Mordor

Commanders: Boromir, Faramir vs. Witch King and various orc generals and captains

Time: 2880 TA-ongoing

Numbers: estimated 2000 vs. 15000+

The forests of Ithilien provide perfect ambushing terrain, and it has been used to full effect by small Gondorian army against the hordes of Mordor. Famous infantry of Gondor played secondary role here, the ambushes are dominated by cavalry and archers.

Name:	ith.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	633.2 KB 
ID:	308689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ith1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	308690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ith2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	308691

Memorials: 8 so far, some of them have been covered by latter battles already.

MOS Submod

Battle of the Bridge or The Slaughter

Kingdom Of Arnor V Orcs of Gundabad

Halbarad of the North v Captain MUzrat

918 (me) v 3789 orcs

Halbarad took up a position on a mountain with 7 archer battalions mostly rangers and 55 infantry with 90 horsemen. on the other side of the bridge the orc host full of snaga units, men of rhuadur, orc halbards, wargs and ballistas.

Halbarad had taken nearly a full stack of men to attack the OOG after taking the lowlands of Rhuadar and defeating 2 previous armies he moved onto Gram, however realizing how hopelessly outnumbered he was he retreated back through the hills of Rhuadar trying to evade another sack of orcs. He thought to besiege the fortress though the orc army came and this encamped across the bridge awaiting the attack. ( I honestly thought he was dead )

The battle commenced with my force on the mountain top which was pretty high. The enemy army crossed over and the slaughter began. My archers protected by the rocks, thus the orcs could only attack the flanks. On one side my 55 infantry men and on the other my cavalry. The Archers rained dead upon the orcs slaughtering all those he dared to ascend and my cavalry routed there warg riders and snaga archers who decided to ascend. In the end the orcs could not take the torrent of arrows and fled with my cavalry charging them down and slaughtering them.
    In the end 3430 orcs lay dead for 8 men of my own dead.

Yes and Icon did appear.

It appeared as a great battle.

Silvan Elves are the most epic i've had tbh.. Had 3/4 stack of Galadrim take down 2-3 stacks of Isengard fodder was epic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12