Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Economic Failure! Please help!!!

Default Complete Economic Failure! Please help!!!

So I have absolutely no idea how to keep my purse out of the red. If I do NOTHING (no recruiting, no exploring, no fighting, no conquering.. etc) I'm ok.. But as soon as I get an army moving I plummet into the red and can't get out. Plus the financial overview doesn't tell me whats dragging me thousands into debt so I can't fix it. I assumed taking over new territory would increase revenue but it doesn't help. I haven't seen anyone else posting about this so am I just missing some key thing that everybody knows? Any help or shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

btw Im the Kingdom of Norway if that means anything..

Default Re: Compete Economic Failure! Please help!!!

Are you using BGR?

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Are you using BGR?
    wanted to ask that too

I believe so.

I'll be honest... I'm not sure where you were trying to shove me with that link lol

• *Groan!!!*

not all money goes into your treasury your nobles take their fill too, they have a seperate treasury that they like to fill. furthermore u have to pay for their supplies and when they recruit u pay part or whole of the costs. it costs money to maintain a siege and every time u get a new noble marriange usw. u are made to pay big time bucks.
    maybe theres additional costs for armies that leave your lands ( not sure about that) or its simply the corrupt generalss stealing from the locals

to quote Byg:

"The Treasury

Generals now have their own money, but there are the usual treasury costs as well for recruiting units and hiring mercenaries. Recruitment now requires money in the treasury AND a general must be wealthy enough to cover his equipping/recruiting costs.

Note that because generals now have their own money, the treasury will have less and treasury reports will not reflect the actual treasury amount in your projected treasury totals, but instead reflect the total coming in or going out of your faction.
    Example: a general gets a ransom for some captives, your treasury will at first show the money come in, but as a significant portion belongs to the general it will go out again to him. Your projected treasury total for the next turn will be out by that amount. It works this way for all your general's earnings so remember that if your general earns a lot, the treasury will lose a lot. So tax them to the hilt by charging scutage etc (more on that later).

To quickly see how much total treasury is coming from or going to your generals as a whole compare the faction report treasury total with the treasury total in the bottom right of your screen.

For a more detailed report click the faction button. This gives 2 information sheets: Nobles' Expenses Summary and Nobles' Contributions Summary.
    If you wish to access the faction information without these summaries popping up, use your letter "o" key. "

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060

OOOOHHHH..... OOOOK...... So your saying I should get as far away from the BGR mod as possible! Got it!!! Thanks lol

Norway has relatively expensive roster relative its starting position and can't afford full stack armies. However nearby rebels are very weak on current map and you should be able to expand with 5-10 unit armies until you run into Denmark. If you build a large army and don't use it quickly you will hit high debt. A little debt under BGR is normal. Make the best choices in the first few turns and then by turn 10 or so your finances should be recovering if you got some rebel regions or sailed straight for Aarhus with your full army and concentrated on wiping out Denmark to then take other rebel cities at leisure.

1 warning- Scotland or England almost always sends some armies towards your west coast so don't be surprised that before turn 20 you are invaded there.

Thanks guys! This is my first experience playing SS (or any mod) so apparently I dove into the deep end with a strong current. I must have missed the NOOB setting lol. I'll try to figure out how to take off BGR for now until I get more experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleMerc View Post
    Thanks guys! This is my first experience playing SS (or any mod) so apparently I dove into the deep end with a strong current. I must have missed the NOOB setting lol. I'll try to figure out how to take off BGR for now until I get more experienced.
    Run the SS setup and there will be an option to turn off BGR. I wouldn't suggest playing your first SS game with it anyway...

Yeah as it says in the BGR IV ss setup description this is only for experts

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    Yeah as it says in the BGR IV ss setup description this is only for experts
    I saw that... But I assumed it was one of those empty warnings, like a road sign that reads "Speed enforced by radar", or a claymore that reads "Place front towards enemy"

BGR takes some time until u get used to the feature, its learning how the campaign works from scratch but its worth it unless u just want a big empire without much caring

but its definitly worth the effort

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleMerc View Post
    I saw that... But I assumed it was one of those empty warnings, like a road sign that reads "Speed enforced by radar", or a claymore that reads "Place front towards enemy"
    Trespassers will be shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

flankstakes's Avatar Libertus

make sure all your cities have free upkeep garrisons.you shouldn't pay for any extra troops in any of your towns except the ones that are threatened by the enemy, frontlines.don't accept every adoption offer, be picky.farms,roads and markets are crucial. trade rights should be granted to all nearby friendly nations.if you are ready to conquer a region but don't have any HIGH priority targets, go for coastal towns with ports since they make more money. try to convert your coastal castles to towns if you can. if you need castles, try to build them in landlocked regions. do not have too many expensive troops in your armies. make sure you have troops you can waste in your armies. when fighting battles, make sure your cheapest troops take the grunt of fighting so it is cheaper to retrain.don't have a navy if you don't need it but you'll probably need it.make sure good governors are not on the field fighting.try to capture isolated regions such as islands. they are easier to defend and can serve many purposes, from tradehouses to training grounds.
    Hail of arrows do not discriminate

Quote Originally Posted by flankstakes View Post
    make sure all your cities have free upkeep garrisons.you shouldn't pay for any extra troops in any of your towns except the ones that are threatened by the enemy, frontlines.don't accept every adoption offer, be picky.farms,roads and markets are crucial. trade rights should be granted to all nearby friendly nations.if you are ready to conquer a region but don't have any HIGH priority targets, go for coastal towns with ports since they make more money. try to convert your coastal castles to towns if you can. if you need castles, try to build them in landlocked regions. do not have too many expensive troops in your armies. make sure you have troops you can waste in your armies. when fighting battles, make sure your cheapest troops take the grunt of fighting so it is cheaper to retrain.don't have a navy if you don't need it but you'll probably need it.make sure good governors are not on the field fighting.try to capture isolated regions such as islands. they are easier to defend and can serve many purposes, from tradehouses to training grounds.
    Ok, I have to disagree with a few points here. First, be VERY picky with the adoption offers, I generally accept only if I've expanded so bloody much that I don't have enough generals to lead my frontline armies.

Also, Building castles in landlocked regions doesn't always mean you'll be making more money overall, there are plenty of land-locked regions that make more money than certain coastal regions, especially if the cities are much more developed. Paved roads offer a lot of trade in SS and M2TW in general.

Lastly, regions isolated map-wise are generally safe (except the easternmost regions since they get invaded by Mongols). But most island regions are not safe and the AI usually sends armies to them. They may be more trouble than their worth, so be careful.

I appreciate all the input everyone!

"I'll be honest... I'm not sure where you were trying to shove me with that link lol "

You installed something without reading what it did, then you came to ask why your game is acting up.

Constantine XII's Avatar Miles

I play with Crusaders.They have only cities with no very good soldiers and for this reason you have to produce more of them to protect your cities.Then you have to upgrade the farms,roads,ports to get economy but those buildings takes more than 4 turns to build and this leads you to wait for 10+ turns to see your economy to grow.But an another problem is when you wait for your economy to grow, the Fatmids attacks you with better units because they have Castle (Gaza) when you have only the Jerusalem with "Canons of Holy Selpucher"(which they took nearly 11 turns to be recruitable again) and sometimes Kerak(wooden castle which it recruits only mercs if you upgrade the barracks).Also the first target of a Jihad is Jeusalem and you have recruit from every city army to defend the Jerusalem.This is unfair for Crusaders.Maybe you have to make a script about economical and military help of Crusaders and some other factions.Also when you try to upgrade walls barracks stables for better defence/offence the profits going to minus.

Something like that happens to the factions that they have only cities and some mottes and balleys (like very small castle), they have economical grow but no army to defend the cities
    Last edited by Constantine XII; July 07, 2011 at 05:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast