Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Default StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY
    PC

StarCraft II is the sequel to the 1998 Game of the Year StarCraft. It continues the story of Jim Raynor and his fight against Arcturus Mengsk and the Zerg swarm.

GRAPHICS

StarCraft isn't the most impressive looking game out there. In fact, during the campaign, most dialogue scenes will look rather familiar to those who saw the sneak peek from Blizzcon 2008. However, that isn't to say StarCraft is a minger. StarCraft really delivers in imaginative and well-executed character, setting and atmosphere design. Whether you're on the barren wastelands of Mar Sara or the volcanic bowels of the planet Char, the game does a very good job of making distinguished settings, and not just making "maps". For those of you who cannot run a higher-spec game, don't worry- StarCraft's specifications are rather low. On lowest settings, even some of the older machines can run it. Hell, my cheap old laptop can run StarCraft fine. For those of you who want some eye-candy, crank the settings up to Ultra and you'll experience some amazing visual effects.

PLOT
    StarCraft 2 takes place in the future, around 2500. Hundreds of years prior to the events of StarCraft, several transport ships from Earth carrying prisoners drifted out to far space, into what is now known as the Koprulu Sector. The original StarCraft leads with the "Terrans" first encountering the alien races of Protoss and Zerg, and the following war. It tells the story of Jim Raynor and his fight against the Sons of Korhal, now known as the Terran Dominion, the most powerful and oppressive government in the sector, as well as Kerrigan's rise as the Queen of Blades, leader of the Zerg swarm. In StarCraft II, the plot starts off four years after the events of Brood War. Raynor is still on the run from the Dominion, seeking to take Arcturus Mengsk out. Kerrigan has gone silent for four years, plotting her next attack. The game starts with Raynor rebooting his revolution against the Dominion, and Kerrigan's reappearance.

AUDIO
    The sounds in StarCraft are more or less what you would expect from a futuristic game. From the Terrans, you have gunfire, tank shots, mechanical whirring and grinding and robotic female voices. The Zerg are comprised of snorting, growling and unsettling squishing and slurping noises. The Protoss have a very mystical psionic feel to them, with echoing voices and robotic droids. The music in StarCraft 2 is rather enjoyable, although more often than not, you'll find yourself muting the in-game music in favor of your own. Overall, StarCraft has a nice audio track that, at times, can even aid gameplay (hearing a Marine say "You want a piece of me, boy?" upon finishing training one.)

GAMEPLAY
    StarCraft II holds amazing amounts of depth and fun within. Each of the three races plays very, very differently, and at the same time, remain very balanced so no one race has power over the others. Chances are if you play StarCraft II, you're enjoying the multiplayer 1v1 league matches, or 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 or whatever. StarCraft II is much like it's predecessor in the sense that it requires strategic thinking and quick execution to become an effective player. However, if that's just not your cup of tea, StarCraft II has SO many mods to it, that even if you're not into playing real matches, the custom games will have you amused for hours on end. StarCraft II has it's own version of Mafia, with customizable randomized roles. There are also mods that turn StarCraft II into a third-person shooter, surviving a Zerg infestation, or a recreation of Metal Slug. One of my personal favorites is the recreation of the board game Risk. The downside? Those of you who were fans of StarCraft 1 will be incredibly disappointed to know that StarCraft II does not support LAN play.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    StarCraft II is a very satisfying, and well-deserved sequel to the original StarCraft. Yes, it might have taken 12 years to make it, but the game did not fail to deliver on any level. The art, the gameplay, the plot are all amazingly immersive. The campaign will last you for hours, and there's so much you can do that even after you've beat it, it's not unlikely you'll go back just to catch some things you didn't the first time through. Playing competitive matches is also incredibly fun, testing your skill as a StarCraft tactician and working to hone your skills and judgment against both strangers and friends. Likewise, you can grab a group of friends and play a custom map- since StarCraft II is essentially hundreds of games in one! However, StarCraft II does carry quite a hefty price. A whole year after it's release, it still sits at $60. And that's not including the upcoming expansions, which will be sold separately at $20 apiece. Adding all of that up, by the time Blizzard finishes the StarCraft II trilogy with Legacy of the Void, The full game will cost a whopping $100. However, if you have that $100, it's a game well worth your purchase.

FINAL VERDICT
    9.5/10

Default Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Nice review. Short and objective, but still detailed. I like it +rep
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Just got around to reinstalling SC2 on our desktop after we upgraded OS and GPU.

I gots hooked again...and not even on MP...I've always been a sucker for the singleplayer campaigns of RTS games, as well as singleplayer skirmishes, and this is unlike some of the other RTSes I've played in the past. See, I was one of those seemingly 10 total RTS fans who just never got into the original Starcraft, by the time I had heard of it, I was used to Age of Kings, and Shogun Total War, etc. Starcraft just seemed like a downgrade from those games...

However, SC2 is a different beast for me right now...faster paced than my current RTS fixes (mainly Company of Heroes...) and insanely addictive...

I like the review too, well written for being so short +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

I never could get past the fact that the gameplay is exactly like the first one. There wasn't a whole lot of evolution in 12 years. Disappointing.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

SC2's campaign sucked on pretty much every level. MP is great fun, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

SC2's campaign sucked on pretty much every level. MP is great fun, though!
    Why? I thought the campaign was excellent.

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarna3 View Post
    I never could get past the fact that the gameplay is exactly like the first one. There wasn't a whole lot of evolution in 12 years. Disappointing.
    Starcraft 2 was never supposed to be different from Starcraft. It is a continuation of a story-based series...not something like Total War where you can radically change the gameplay from game to game...
    Campaign had a bunch of new features as well, from what I've heard/experienced from the Campaign of the first one..
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    Why? I thought the campaign was excellent.
    All you have to do is spam the unit introduced in the misson. The ones on Char were pretty good, however.
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by wellington1815 View Post
    Starcraft 2 was never supposed to be different from Starcraft. It is a continuation of a story-based series...not something like Total War where you can radically change the gameplay from game to game...
    Campaign had a bunch of new features as well, from what I've heard/experienced from the Campaign of the first one..
    Yeah, the campaign has a lot of bells and whistles, but the fundamental gameplay is the same. Strategy gaming has evolved so much since 1998, it's hard for me to hold Starcraft II on a pedestal, like most. The days of general RTS are over; every game should be innovative and unique. I just don't find Starcraft II to meet those standards.

So SC2 isn't good because it's SC1 with better graphics and new units and same gameplay? If you guys loved SC1 I don't know why that is so terrible!

^
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    So SC2 isn't good because it's SC1 with better graphics and new units and same gameplay? If you guys loved SC1 I don't know why that is so terrible!
    Because it's been 12 years, games have radically changed, Duke Nukem Forever recently got slated by reviews for playing like a a game from the 90's, Yet SCII gets praise for it, this is inconsistent and illogical, while SC was to many the defining game of the 90s RTS, both the genre and gaming have moved on from that, games that play like 'old school' RTS (Red Alert 3, C&C 3 etc) are considered distinctly average, while games that try to advance the genre (Company of Heroes, Dawn of War I & II etc) receive worthy praise. SCII should be no different, regardless of how rose-tinted your glasses may be.

Also, lets not forget that it's 'story' is ripped-off from Games Workshops' Warhammer 40,000 setting, plagiarism does not a good story make.

StarCraft II is a well crafted and well made traditional RTS, but it still suffers from all the inherent drawbacks and failings of that style. With an apparent twelve year development cycle, you'd expect at least some advancement or innovation.

Starcraft I set the bar and defined what an RTS meant for a whole generation after it's release in 1998, Starcraft II meanwhile, has had none of the impact or presence of the original, and in all honesty, especially with the game being divided into 'chapters', feels like little better than a cheap attempt at making money off the back of the original game's success. Something Acti-blizzard is fast becoming well known for.

That is why, in my opinion, the game deserves at best, an 8.0.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    Because it's been 12 years, games have radically changed, Duke Nukem Forever recently got slated by reviews for playing like a a game from the 90's, Yet SCII gets praise for it, this is inconsistent and illogical, while SC was to many the defining game of the 90s RTS, both the genre and gaming have moved on from that, games that play like 'old school' RTS (Red Alert 3, C&C 3 etc) are considered distinctly average, while games that try to advance the genre (Company of Heroes, Dawn of War I & II etc) receive worthy praise. SCII should be no different, regardless of how rose-tinted your glasses may be.

Also, lets not forget that it's 'story' is ripped-off from Games Workshops' Warhammer 40,000 setting, plagiarism does not a good story make.

StarCraft II is a well crafted and well made traditional RTS, but it still suffers from all the inherent drawbacks and failings of that style. With an apparent twelve year development cycle, you'd expect at least some advancement or innovation.

Starcraft I set the bar and defined what an RTS meant for a whole generation after it's release in 1998, Starcraft II meanwhile, has had none of the impact or presence of the original, and in all honesty, especially with the game being divided into 'chapters', feels like little better than a cheap attempt at making money off the back of the original game's success. Something Acti-blizzard is fast becoming well known for.

That is why, in my opinion, the game deserves at best, an 8.0.
    So according to you, the game has to be dumned down the like all the other crappy RTS games that came out these days to be good? THe traditional style is what MAKES starcraft. It would not be the same game without it. If you think StarCraft II has no modern elements than you are wrong. Many of the units available in this game could not exist in brood war and the campaign is a mix or RTS and RPG. Yet the inherit gameplay must stay the same because that is what makes StarCraft an e-sport and one of the greatest games of all time. It is relatively easy to play but very difficult to master. What you think of the "modernization" of RTS games is actually the casualization of them and blizzard should be praised for sticking to StarCrafts hardcore routes.

How are the expansions a cheap attempt at making money when each chapter will still have like 30 missions? Sure the story in Wings of Liberty is not the greatest but its not awful either and what matters is that the campaign MISSIONS are AWESOME. They are FAR BETTER than the missions in Brood War. They are very well designed, very fun, un-repetitive and creative. StarCraft II is about gameplay and it delivers that fully in multiplayer and singleplayer.
    Last edited by Applesmack; July 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Fanatic :) View Post
    So according to you, the game has to be dumned down the like all the other crappy RTS games that came out these days to be good? THe traditional style is what MAKES starcraft. It would not be the same game without it. If you think StarCraft II has no modern elements than you are wrong. Many of the units available in this game could not exist in brood war and the campaign is a mix or RTS and RPG. Yet the inherit gameplay must stay the same because that is what makes StarCraft an e-sport and one of the greatest games of all time. It is relatively easy to play but very difficult to master. What you think of the "modernization" of RTS games is actually the casualization of them and blizzard should be praised for sticking to StarCrafts hardcore routes.

How are the expansions a cheap attempt at making money when each chapter will still have like 30 missions? Sure the story in Wings of Liberty is not the greatest but its not awful either and what matters is that the campaign MISSIONS are AWESOME. They are FAR BETTER than the missions in Brood War. They are very well designed, very fun, un-repetitive and creative. StarCraft II is about gameplay and it delivers that fully in multiplayer and singleplayer.
    It's pretty clear you didn't even read what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Fanatic :) View Post

I think the point that Hookah is trying to make is that from a gaming and progression perspective, SC2 should have been released years ago, as there doesn't appear to be enough difference between it and the original to warrant such a lengthy development time (And I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with Diablo 3)

Quote Originally Posted by StaticBlack View Post
    I think the point that Hookah is trying to make is that from a gaming and progression perspective, SC2 should have been released years ago, as there doesn't appear to be enough difference between it and the original to warrant such a lengthy development time (And I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with Diablo 3)
    This sumerises what I said rather nicely.

Starcraft 2 expansion price bit pricey, but at least they are not following the dlc trend, they release proper expansion pack + map editor. Other game even charge several $ just for map!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak1980 View Post
    Starcraft 2 expansion price bit pricey, but at least they are not following the dlc trend, they release proper expansion pack + map editor. Other game even charge several $ just for map!
    You mean the same company that released SC2?

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    You mean the same company that released SC2?
    Blizzard has dlc for sc2??

Quote Originally Posted by Ak1980 View Post
    Blizzard has dlc for sc2??
    Acti-Blizzard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast