Thread: Implementation of the Fyrd

Default Implementation of the Fyrd

Hi guys,
    Since i know that we have to wait a little bit more for the final release, i get more and more curious. How did you - the dev team - implemend the fyrd? I hope you implemented it at all, because in my opinion its would be a nice and interesting thing to have...
    I havn't found that topic in the forum, so if there is one: forgive me.
    cheers

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Implementation of the Fyrd

Ah I've been thinking about this too! Will is apply to AI factions as well as player factions?

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Sorry, Cymry I'm not sure what your queery is :S

Are you asking is there a Fryd 'system' in the Mod? Or, there is but how is it applied?

@Coeur De Lion: Yes, the AI Saxon factions are able to use the Fyrd units.

Beyond this I am inclined to withhold more information due to the release being fairly soon. You'll just have to wait and see, fellas!
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

surely the crusade function would be best? recruitable like mercs, little upkeep but begin to desert over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Furor_Mancunia View Post
    surely the crusade function would be best? recruitable like mercs, little upkeep but begin to desert over time?
    As I saw you'll shall just have to wait and see!
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Furor_Mancunia View Post
    I don't want to provoke Celtics anger with our ideas about this phenomenon, but maybe the crusade idea wouldn't work so well? I was somewhat under the impression that the Fyrd was most often raised in defense of your land rather than when you were off invading.....therefore the crusade idea might not necessarily work as that is primarily used in an offensive role

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur de Lion View Post
    I don't want to provoke Celtics anger with our ideas about this phenomenon, but maybe the crusade idea wouldn't work so well? I was somewhat under the impression that the Fyrd was most often raised in defense of your land rather than when you were off invading.....therefore the crusade idea might not necessarily work as that is primarily used in an offensive role
    You wont provoke anger whatsoever! Feel free to discuss it guys! Just remember the Fyrd has been made and set, I just will not tell you about in-game. However, feel free to discuss the historical Fyrd, perhaps?

The fyrd was indeed levied for defence as opposed to attack, however I am sure must have been used atleast once in the past to attack? I am unsure.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

diez's Avatar Biarchus

what a fyrd is??
    smth like warpath from americas campaign?

Fyrd is an emergency force that the king hires if the country is threatened.

I think the Fyrd men should be half price. I mean their not professional soldiers their conscripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Starknight View Post
    Fyrd is an emergency force that the king hires if the country is threatened.

I think the Fyrd men should be half price. I mean their not professional soldiers their conscripts.
    not so much hired as forcedly conscripted i think.

the fyrd is levied/summoned by the king, but commanded by the lord of each shire, i case of danger. As far as i know, each shire had its own fyrd and the fyrd would mainly fight in the shire it came from. I dont know if that was the law, however, the men wouldn´t willingly leave their homes for too long.
    That would make the crusade funktion not practical.
    i´m actually no historian - i just read bernard cornwell so feal free to correct me

Skep's Avatar Civis

@Cymry. I think you got it right. Really wondering how it will work in the mod.

From what I remember from history it was the duty of basically the equivalent of a elder in each shire to raise a militia army when battle was expected or when the king needed it. I`m not quite sure about the men getting payed but I remember reading if you refused or defected you would be fined, of course a fine depending on your wealth and standing.

Maybe if you lose alot of your provinces or are reduced to 2 or 3 Provinces you will recieve the ability to raise a Fyrd in his mod ?.

Skep's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by mBratach Glas View Post
    From what I remember from history it was the duty of basically the equivalent of a elder in each shire to raise a militia army when battle was expected or when the king needed it. I`m not quite sure about the men getting payed but I remember reading if you refused or defected you would be fined, of course a fine depending on your wealth and standing.

Maybe if you lose alot of your provinces or are reduced to 2 or 3 Provinces you will recieve the ability to raise a Fyrd in his mod ?.
    They wouldn't get paid. It is a duty to the King to fight in your own Fyrd, under command of the local shire Reeve. Not showing up was punishable, so you'd better have a good excuse.

I don't think fyrds would travel far beyond their own shire, so they were mostly defensive. I feel like the furtest extent would be 2 weeks max. Just imagine carrying a weapon, a shield, and food for 2 weeks. You just can't begin to image how hard it was to keep a army in the field during the dark and middle ages.

Napoleon said something like: wars ain't won by guns but by logistics. And that was 1800. Just to make a point. No railroads than

Quote Originally Posted by Skep View Post
    They wouldn't get paid. It is a duty to the King to fight in your own Fyrd, under command of the local shire Reeve. Not showing up was punishable, so you'd better have a good excuse.

I don't think fyrds would travel far beyond their own shire, so they were mostly defensive. I feel like the furtest extent would be 2 weeks max. Just imagine carrying a weapon, a shield, and food for 2 weeks. You just can't begin to image how hard it was to keep a army in the field during the dark and middle ages.

Napoleon said something like: wars ain't won by guns but by logistics. And that was 1800. Just to make a point. No railroads than
    An army marches on its stomach.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Is that the quote?

Skep's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by kingtigertank View Post
    An army marches on its stomach.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Is that the quote?

I don't believe that's the one I was referring to, but it means the same. Lot's of his successes were related to good logistics.

Edit:
    "The amateurs discuss tactics: the professionals discuss logistics." This was the one I had in mind
    Last edited by Skep; July 07, 2011 at 04:20 AM.