Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saving Private Ryan's plot looks stupid

Default Saving Private Ryan's plot looks stupid

This movie is great but i dont understand why should we waste many soldier's life just to save a private? Why not just let him alone?

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Saving Private Ryan's plot looks stupid

This sort of stuff did occasionally happen. Whilst "Saving Private Ryan" is fictional, it is based on truth, There was a Private Ryan who needed saving in one of the British armoured units, but primarily there was a group of brothers in the US military as well.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well as the mention the War department got a black eye for allowing the five Sulleven brothers too all serve together at Guadalcanal and die (and couple others). Informally at least the US started sending sole survivors home, or at least out of combat.

What has always bugged me is the charging the Machine Gun suicidal attack. Its off mission, and if you have an excellent sniper and you do want to go off mission why not let him work around till he can off the Germans?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

They also ignore the Bazooka laying there in front of them. , and the whole wide open flanks....

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    What has always bugged me is the charging the Machine Gun suicidal attack. Its off mission, and if you have an excellent sniper and you do want to go off mission why not let him work around till he can off the Germans?
    IIRC the orignal plan was to charge into the MG-42 until the crew has to change barrles - this would have been after about 500 shots, that is after two complete belts(!). Realistical? Well.....

Apart from the opening scene that movie is not really a good one (compared to true masterpieces like The Thin Red Line).

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Saving Private Ryan was one of the most overrated pieces of crap ever.
    It really annoys me haha.

Like for example, when the sniper guy is telling them what tanks are coming and he says something like 2 Panzers and 2 Tigers...
    Even though a Tiger is a Panzer and as far as others could be aware, maybe he was talking about 2 Panzer I's? 'cause then you wouldn't need to worry as you could probably take it out with a strong fart.
    Then of course you have the fact that there isn't just 2 "Panzers" and 2 Tigers because i'm pretty sure there's a Marder (or something like it) and some other stuff aswell... which i'm sure deserves mentioning.

All that aside, correct me if i'm wrong, but the Americans didn't even encounter Tiger tanks by this point in the invasion of France? I was under the impression that the British were fighting the Tiger tanks at this time but they were redeployed to fight the Americans after a couple of weeks or so.

Anyway, you don't need to save Jason Bourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    Damn straight brother. Unfortunately there's a SPR mafia that won't hear a word of it. I point out things like Tom Hanks being the least convincing Ranger Captain (or soldier) of all time, the unintentionally hilarious long off-into-the-near distance stares that Spielbergs insist in his movies and the attempt at dehumanising the Germans by giving them crew-cuts (which only served to let the audience think the 'steam-boat Willy' German was the one that killed Mellish at the end when it wasn't, even wiki has it wrong) and you have a good movie but not by any means a great one. Actor Richard Todd said it was 'Rubbish. Overdone' and I have a hard time wholly disagreeing with him.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go to my Bunker before the Tom Hanks mafia gets here.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

The entire Omaha Beach intro is excellent. The rest of the movie is really meh-ish, with a ton of cliches: Germans who all look like skinheads, bland characters, pointless acts of heroic self-sacrifice, silly and overdone action scenes, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Spielberg hates thoe Germans... and Japanese (courtesy of Empire of the Sun).

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I liked the scene where the cowardly translator won't help the guy fighting the German POW, kind of a break from the heroic GI theme.

Yea that whole Tiger thing is quite wack. The Panzer reserves that were stationed far away from Normandy took days to reach the front lines. For example the 101st heavy SS panzer battalion took 5 days to march 260km to Villers Bocage before it finally saw action around the town on the 13th.

I enjoyed the movie for its action but nothing more. Its not some masterpeice that its often said to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post

Like for example, when the sniper guy is telling them what tanks are coming and he says something like 2 Panzers and 2 Tigers...
    Even though a Tiger is a Panzer and as far as others could be aware, maybe he was talking about 2 Panzer I's? 'cause then you wouldn't need to worry as you could probably take it out with a strong fart.
    Then of course you have the fact that there isn't just 2 "Panzers" and 2 Tigers because i'm pretty sure there's a Marder (or something like it) and some other stuff aswell... which i'm sure deserves mentioning.
    They don't have to be that realistic. Yes a tiger is panzer but it can also be identified as a tiger to properly prepare for it.
    The initial proper name for it is Panzerkampfwagen VI While a panzer 4 is a Panzerkampfwagen IV; as you can see the full name itself doesn't sound very terrifying.
    iirc, also Panzerkampfwagen Tiger works because it was an acceptable terminology by the Germans.

If I remember right, that was a Marder III to be specific.
    Last edited by Morbius Sire; June 06, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

The Tiger was really a T-34 and IIRC the Stug like thing was based on an FV432. Fun fact.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Germans who all look like skinheads
    They were foot soldiers for the Hitler and the Nazis I don't see why they should be at all sympathetic. It was not a book but a movie visual references are important.

Spielberg hates thoe Germans... and Japanese (courtesy of Empire of the Sun).
    And there is a reason he should not?

----

I mean it was not a Documentary but a Drama - you know entertainment not a verbatim replication of facts. Its been that way 2500 years look at Athenian drama they had no problem having a king Thesus juxtaposed with a democracy... At points the melodrama was over the top and as I said I have some issues with sequences that seem internally inconstant. I'm not sure I see Tom Hanks as a bad ranger why? My grandfather was not an uber he man type but his eyesight got him made a B-29 tail gunner at 32 when his plane got shot down he spent something like 9 months in occupied Asia living with anti japan locals before they could get him back to India and than he was back in service not a scratch or mark on him even though he was never a boy scout and had been a skilled tradesman in Detroit his whole life and certainly knew absolutely nothing about Asia or Burma etc.

So Markas what makes a convincing soldier?
    Last edited by conon394; June 06, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Speilberg fought in the Pacific or is he Chinese or something?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    The Tiger was really a T-34 and IIRC the Stug like thing was based on an FV432. Fun fact.
    I have no issue with this, as long as they look somewhat realistic. Plus good luck getting the one operational Tiger for a movie shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sarry View Post
    Yes a tiger is panzer but it can also be identified as a tiger to properly prepare for it.
    The initial proper name for it is Panzerkampfwagen VI While a panzer 4 is a Panzerkampfwagen IV; as you can see the full name itself doesn't sound very terrifying.
    iirc, also Panzerkampfwagen Tiger works because it was an acceptable terminology by the Germans.
    Yeah i get that but it's the fact he says 2 Tigers and 2 Panzers but doesn't specify what the Panzers are... when there would be a massive difference between the threat a Panzer I would have posed and a Panzer IV would have.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I am under the impression that at this point of war a "Panzer" means a Panzer IV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I thought Panzer meant Armored Fighting Vehicle regardless of type? Tigers were a specific class of heavy tank. Panzer just means tank.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I am under the impression that at this point of war a "Panzer" means a Panzer IV.

Ahh well if that's the case then i'm sorry. I'm sure there was still Panzer III's in use but that aside, you never actually see any other tanks other than the Tigers in the actual battle.
    The Marder you see and the 2 Tigers and that's about it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast