Thread: Archers in BC

Default Archers in BC

I've recently started playing BC and I noticed all the archers and crossbowmen have a missile attack of 5 and all javelin troops of 11. Now I don't believe all archers perform equally, in that case I wouldnt see any reason to use better archers than the dirt cheap ones. I have also noticed large differences in kills between different archery units.
    Now I wonder, how do I know which archery units are better and by how much and why isnt this just displayed by a higer or lower missile attack value? Or are the differences between archers just that some can pierce armor or shoot at long range, whilst they have the same base damage?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Default Re: Archers in BC

The difference is in accuracy.

Better = more expensive archers are more accurate. Elite archers have best accuracy and missile attack 6 (iirc). The better archers are, the more expensive they are.

Under the patronage of m_1512

metsikhovne's Avatar Semisalis

i really do not see difference in elite and lower elite archers, most elites are reduced in numbers so 30 elite i think will mke same damage as 60 soldiers in lower unit

panzer 4's Avatar Domesticus

i think damage should differentiate due to the bow type they use. the Compact bow used on horse back had very strong armour piercing capabilities. Islamic warriors under the Ayyubid dynasty would carry a sword, bow, arrows and a shield yet wore almost practically no armour save for a helmet and a very light chain mail cuirass.
    the English Longbow men arrows were devastating too as the muslims relied on light infantry (until the mamlukes arrived) and mobility to defeat their enemies. Consequently, the Turks were the most feared in the war due to the damage of their archery on christian armies and supply lines due to the strength of their arrows.
    The US will gladly step up to become the world police when there is oil involved, yet they will resign the second there is a genocide in Africa, a slaughter in an allied nation, or a massacre committed by dictators, all who's nations have nothing to offer, but the gratitude of the people to the international community for reaching out.

I think that both damage and range (not only accurancy as now) should be more differentiated, according as rank and nation.
    It isn't easy to determine which faction had better archers or stronger bows but undoubtedly differences were significant.

I agree. There would be a substantial difference in bow quality between the one used by Roman Toxotai and elite Mamlukes. I doubt all bows had the same draw weight either. Plus the quality of arrow-heads would vary between levies and elites.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by panzer 4 View Post
    Islamic warriors under the Ayyubid dynasty would carry a sword, bow, arrows and a shield yet wore almost practically no armour save for a helmet and a very light chain mail cuirass.
    No. Ayyubid armies consisted of both light cavalry and heavy cavalry in considerable number. It has been discussed 189013576 times already.

Under the patronage of m_1512

foot archers tend to be useless as they only have a little ammunition, light horse archers have ALOT of ammo and hence can win battles single-handed if you place then on a hill. The better quality horse archers (medium and elite) recieve fewer and fewer arrows... ironically making them a worse choice than light horse archers if you want them to be capable of firing continously. Basically foot archers need more arrows... I notice hindu longbowmen have alot of ammunition.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Archers are really worth the price, especially the top tier ones, they even can kill a few heavy horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blękk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

high tier archers are not very good at archery as they do not have enough arrows I hate hybrid units

Foot archers are really effective against light infantry, mainly against herded infantry. Elite archers are also good against ligter archers.
    The most important problem I've noticed is shooting against cavalry, mainly haevy cavalry but with unarmoured horses. It seems strange If my archers are shooting rain of arrows, most of them hit unarmoured horses and they are still alive.

not a fan of foot archers, they run out too fast

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by warble View Post
    not a fan of foot archers, they run out too fast
    If you place and use them correctly, they will fulfill their purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blękk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock: