Thread: HoI2-Lan problem

Default HoI2-Lan problem

Ok... I have 2 computers on the same network and I want to play Hearts of Iron 2 multiplayer with a friend of mine... But when I host a room (LAN), my friend from the other computer cannot find my room... What should I do to fix this thing?

Notes:
    *Both computers have the same version of the game (1.3a)
    *I don't think that the firewall blocks'em
    *The computers are conected to the network via a rooter

Default Re: HoI2-Lan problem

Thanks for the help...

Coal143's Avatar Miles
    The Royal Kingdom of Occitania-Aragon-Sicily

Try using hamachi?

Hamachi isn't necessery when playing LAN... I tried it though, and it wasn't working!

why don't you use regular internet instead? Just connect both of the computers to the internet and problem's fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    why don't you use regular internet instead? Just connect both of the computers to the internet and problem's fixed.
    You think I didn't try that?

Coal143's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by xristosQ View Post
    You think I didn't try that?
    To be fair, you never said you did.

No, I didn't think you tried that because you sounded (and still sound) like you have no idea what you are doing.

Connecting from internet should work 100%. Why doesn't it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal143 View Post
    To be fair, you never said you did.
    I forgot to tell it though, my fault

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    No, I didn't think you tried that because you sounded (and still sound) like you have no idea what you are doing.

Connecting from internet should work 100%. Why doesn't it work?
    I know what are you talking about... I tried both lan and internet multiplayer ways... When I put the IP of the host pc it tells me that Ip address is wrong...

And something else... When I host a game (LAN) from the computer A the computer B just doesn't find the game... But, when I host a game from the computer B the computer A detects the game, but I am not able to choose it (I will post some screenshots later to help you understand)

And thank you all for helping me!

Coal143's Avatar Miles

Well it could be, that the Ip address IS wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Coal143 View Post
    Well it could be, that the Ip address IS wrong
    No

for reference (as this thread is a high google search for HOI2 lan problems) me and wilddog had very similar problems - one computer can see the other but not join... other one can't see the other at all - the answer turned out to be to disable uPnP (plug and play setting) on the router that was controlling the LAN connection

took a long while to realise that was all the problem was - it's mentioned somewhere on the HOI forum but not prominently

EDIT; oh, and having finally got that working - that is the other reason PKH isn't progressing as fast as may be wished!

Since I spent ages trying to get this to work (about two days straight) I thought that it would be best to share the solution that worked for ME (probably not everyone). I tried UPnP off and on, router DMZ, port forwards etc, they didnt work.
    Get game ranger. (link below) Its free, make a room (in game ranger) and start the game through that.
    http://www.gameranger.com/

thanks yes, that should work, but it is a bit annoying to have to connect via internet when you've got two computers plugged together....

haven't been back to HOI for a bit but was trying old Age of Empires game which used to work on lan with XP to win7 machine and now won't for two win7 PC's unless the firewalls are off - arrggghhh....
    and then still also occasionally decides not to cooperate at all!