Thread: cannons

Default cannons

I recently started a campaign in which I switched to christianity ASAP, in order to ditch bows and mangonels entirely for muskets and cannons. I'm quite happy with the muskets, they don't kill a lot but they have a horrible effect on enemy morale (as far as I can tell) but I'm not so pleased with the cannons.

I like the blast radius, I just don't like the damage. My cannons will hit regularly, sometimes right in te middle of a unit. But they'll never kill more then 4 or 5 ashigaru. When hitting samurai it's not unusual to see about 20 of them fly back and then they all get up.

When I set up my army as far back as possible and just let the cannons fire, continually adjusting their target to hit the densest group of enemies, they never get more then 50 kills, even though they're hitting probably more then a few hundred.

So anyway, I was looking around in the file pack manager program (forgot the name) but couldn't find which stat to tweak. Does anyone know where I should look? I don't care if cannon damage gets upped in the main mod (although I'd reccomend it) but I'd like to up it in my own game at least.
    Can anyone help me?
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Resoded's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: cannons

Yeah I agree with you. Cannons are a waste of time and resources right now, mangonels are more effective due to them being able to hit enemies inside castles. It's too bad considering how hard cannons are to acquire.

Can't help you on the modding though.

I fully support you guys.

Cannons are expensive, quite hard to get ( early game that is ) and are very..... medium kind of weapon/artillery. Damage is not high enought, it is hard to hit the enemy, and if you do hit a unit of enemy soldiers , right in the middle of it a big blast that carries away with it not more then ~5-7 men, is quite unrealistic, unless the cannon ball was made of rubber or heh rice, and waste of hard earned koku.

I found it! I don't remember the exact names right now, but when you open the modding program, open the main darthmod file. There'll be a bunch of stuff. One of them is labeled something with projectiles. In there there's one projectile named cannon ball or something similar. Then there's a thing called shard/shrapnel damage. Up it to 8 and you'll get a decent amount of kills. About 10-15 ashigaru per hit in the middle of a unit, which is a lot better. I'll fire up my pc and the program later to post the exact names
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!