Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Official CA Q&A thread - XML and XSD modding

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Default Re: Official CA Q&A thread - XML and XSD modding

Just an Idea, did you created the needed entries in the warscape_lod tables?

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    Just an Idea, did you created the needed entries in the warscape_lod tables?
    Aren't they for refering models? They should be totally correct since models are working without any problem.

As far as i know, the Icons above the heads for Agents etc, also need an entry in those files, so they get their proper texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    As far as i know, the Icons above the heads for Agents etc, also need an entry in those files, so they get their proper texture.
    No problem at the model or at the skin. everything works perfect with agents except icon at the panel or info picture.

I have one question for you - what exactly does missile_hn_to_xholds_0_max, melee_hn_to_xholds_0_max, melee_xholds_knockback_0, melee_xholds_knockdown_0, melee_xholds_stepback_0 , missile_xholds_knockdown_0?

Some of those have zero value in NTW but not in ETW. Some explanation could be handy.

thanks

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Another question, related to battle map.

We have in data.pack, a battleterrain\template folders.

It contains various sudfolders, and for each there are several tga files.
    Attributes.tga, deployment.tga, terrain.tga

I know that some mods changed the deployement.tga, to get bigger maps, auto generated for the campaign.

So, here is my question.

If I create a new folder, for instance Normal_15 (since there already are folders up to Normal_14), and put 3 files Attributes.tga, deployment.tga, terrain.tga in it, it is sufficient to have it use to generate randomly some new maps in the campaign, or do I need to add a reference somewhere in the DB?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Actgually, you said unit voices need to be compressed with an internal tool. So that's a "non answer" to solve our problems.
    You didn't answer then when we ask if you can provide some details about what this tool is supposed to do, if we have *sigh* to make our own.
    Sorry to say that, but that's not really supportive.
    "We'll answer your question"
    "How can we fix the unit voices bug"
    "You need an internal tool"
    "Can we get it?"
    "No"
    "Can we get sepcification of how this compression should be done?"
    "[Silence]"
    Yes, but the last part isn't about XML and XSD modding.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Actually it is, half the unit voices are XML, half are csv. How they are compiled in the question and as gf ain't a XML/xsd and we got that it's worth a shot don't you think?

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Yes, but the last part isn't about XML and XSD modding.
    Well, if they explain how to do XML and XSD part, but it has no effect because after it needs something else, the end result is... it doesn't work.

I could understand that they don't want to explain how we could add NEW sounds since they need some form of compilation.

What I find harder to swallow is that if you do any modding, like just adding one unit, then the voices of the existing units, which you don't mod, is messed. For me, this is a bug. At least they should make it so that the voices of original unmodded units is not changed at all.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Well, let's hope your question this time gets their attention. I think you made it cleared now what you're asking for.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Patrician Artifex

Yes, but actually you bump that question. My latest question was about battleterrain templates.

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    I have one question for you - what exactly does missile_hn_to_xholds_0_max, melee_hn_to_xholds_0_max, melee_xholds_knockback_0, melee_xholds_knockdown_0, melee_xholds_stepback_0 , missile_xholds_knockdown_0?

Some of those have zero value in NTW but not in ETW. Some explanation could be handy.

thanks
    Are you sure you are seeing 0 values for them? Checking our internal db for Nap all have correct values for them.

Those values are used in the following way. In the melee code it works out a base kill number. This is then compared to the different melee/missile_hn_to_xholds value numbers which create bands for the kill chance. The bands are then used in the combat calculation to decide if there is a "draw" in the result whether it might be a knockdown, knockback or stepback. The 0,1,2,3,4 at the end of each entry linking them into the different brackets. Bigger the number the higher the chance of a knocback, knockdown or a stepback if the target isn't killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Another question, related to battle map.

We have in data.pack, a battleterrain\template folders.

It contains various sudfolders, and for each there are several tga files.
    Attributes.tga, deployment.tga, terrain.tga

I know that some mods changed the deployement.tga, to get bigger maps, auto generated for the campaign.

So, here is my question.

If I create a new folder, for instance Normal_15 (since there already are folders up to Normal_14), and put 3 files Attributes.tga, deployment.tga, terrain.tga in it, it is sufficient to have it use to generate randomly some new maps in the campaign, or do I need to add a reference somewhere in the DB?
    That should be all that is needed I believe in NTW and ETW, won't work in S2 though.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

thanks a lot for answer Jack

Few questions for your UI Department:

Is it possible to change the colour of a text (eg the Main Menu Buttons)?
    What options can be instert in the extentionless files of the UI?

<font>Ingame 12, Normal</font>

Another question for you, (but this was probably already asked) - is it possible to adjust AI battle behavior somehow? Are there lines in the script which make AI to shuffle its units from right to left and back? i Remember seeing in the script something about square infantry behavior, Am I on the right track here?

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Craig, what's the position on possible sharing of decompiled UI lua files? We have our own tools to decompile the luacs, but they don't decompile very well, in some cases at all or in a totally unusable state. Would you be able to share even one or two that are of interest to modders; we won't need any post release support with these, such as was given with the db files. I'm one of few people who can/does edit these files and I've a good grasp on it
    One more request, would you b able to get us anything on CampaignUI, FrontendUI or BattleUI? CampaignUI would be the most important
    Thanks again

Another question, not sure if this was answered:

If we mod it so that unused agents, such as priests (yes, we know some of them were used for Spanish campaign agents) spawn in the grand campaign, they spawn without a portrait, or unit card icon. Is there any reason for this? Can it be avoided?

Also, editing the Zone of Control stat in agents_tables has no noticeable effect. Is this stat used/useable?
    Any news on this Craig?

Also, about maps - so you can't release esf conversion tools (legal issues/ not interested in going down that route/ whatever) or extensive documentation as its a serialisation format, and you can't create a custom map for us to learn from. How about giving us source files before everything is compiled into esf? For perhaps the Italian/Egyptian campaign? That way we'd have something small (= easy to understand) and you guys wouldn't be giving away too much. TBH this is probably the last route that gives map modding a decent chance, given my points above. I know a lot of your stuff will probably be in formats used by your in-house tools, but I'm fairly sure that the more intelligent community members will find some use for it (correct me if I'm wrong taw)

Another new one, could you share with us the schema for your UI layout files (the extensionless ones)? I know there's many different versions of them, but if we could even get a schema for one of the types it would be a great help
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

One more question as well, as regards scripting and events.

When a new game is started, the players factions, slots, regions characters etc all fire off their respective turn start events, the turn number being 1. Does this only happen for the player, or do AI game entities also fire off their turn start events? I'm trying to get a script to fire off if the turn number is 1 and it's not the players turn, as follows:

Code:
    events.RegionTurnStart[#events.RegionTurnStart+1] = function(context)
    	if conditions.TurnNumber(context) == 1 and not CampaignUI.IsPlayersTurn() then
    	[more code]
    	end
    end
    However, this only works in relation to player controlled game entities.

If I'm not being clear, let me know I'll give some more background info
    Last edited by T.C.; August 15, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

"We cannot answer that question" would be a nice answer too. Thank you anyway.

What a busy UI team! No answer for simple questions.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

<xs:element name="Spacer">
    <xs:complexType>
    <xs:attribute name="PositionX" type="xs:float" use="required" />
    <xs:attribute name="PositionY" type="xs:float" use="required" />
    <xs:attribute name="Width" type="xs:float" use="required" />
    <xs:attribute name="Height" type="xs:float" use="required" />
    </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
    <xs:element name="Spanning">
    <xs:complexType>
    <xs:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
    <xs:element name="SpannedBlockId" type="xs:nonNegativeInteger" />
    </xs:sequence>
    </xs:complexType>

Hey craig. Anychance you could give some info on what the group formations spanning blocks do? are these just a marker for the ai to use a set of blocks almost as if they were a single block?

Also is there any use for the spacer?