Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Visions of Thera. A Portrait and Artwork project.

Default Visions of Thera. A Portrait and Artwork project.

Hello fellow Therans!

I must explain something. Game modifications have one nasty effect on me: they sometimes make my imagination to run faster than usual, especially when the mod provides the player with a unique world with great depth, lore-wise. That was the case with The Eagle and the Radiant Cross for Mount&Blade (some time ago, I think I'll have to revisit it). The same case is with Thera.

I always thought that Thera deserves much more than mundane vanilla cities and portraits. The lore is so intricate with detail,so lively and deep that it just screams to be developed until perfect. Well, maybe my try isn't perfect at all, but I just couldn't resist. And so I start two projects, which will probably span over a couple of months, if not over a few years (if the real life kicks in too much).

The first one will be "Settlements and Landscapes of Thera". These will be graphic renditions of various towns, castles, cities and characteristic places of Thera's strategic map, with no intent of altering the timeline or lore, but to provide the players with a point of view, of how could a place look like. Of course, there will be place for discussion and alterations. This project is currently in a pre-alpha stage, with a few settlements sketched on paper, some other under development inside my mind

The second project is in the title. "Faces of Thera" will focus on depicting famous people, mythical creatures and starting faction leaders of Theran countries. Of course, these portraits will be only my point of view, with no ill intention of considering them "canon". There will also be place for debate over appearance of dramatis personae of Thera, with much room for amendments. But, given that both in the strategic map and in the battle map the special characters use either vanilla M2TW portraits/battle models or from some mods for vanilla faction leaders, I think that each unique idea is worth a try.

"Faces of Thera" is currently in an alpha stage, with the starting faction leaders being sketched on paper and scanned.

Both projects will be eventually executed in digital painting, with "traditional" pencil drawing on occasion, if the time allows.

Of course, the last word is the law of the great TFON. I just hope that these projects won't lead me to the fiery death pits of Demos

Please comment and write your thoughts about the projects. The more you like the idea, the more I will carry on with it. It would be great if you actually criticized my drawings and ideas for the looks of settlements and people of Thera. This way, it would become a true community project.

Anyway, here are the first seven sketches of faction leaders. The remaining fourteen will join them soon.

King Henry of Avalon:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Roi Philippe de Meravangi:

Duque Agosto el Valiente:

Kaiser Heinrich Faust: (although I think it should depict the first Kaiser, Karl I)

Primeiro Vaasco de Sousa:

Grandmaster of the Pale Knights, Baldwin de Ibelin, the Silver-Masked: (well, here I portrayed the founder of the Order, as all the other Grandmasters wore the silver masks)

Hochmeister of the Teutonic Order, Gunther von Wolfsburg:

Please comment and/or criticize!

Best regards,
    jan_boruta

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Faces of Thera. A Portrait project.

It sounds like a nice idea, and the art work you have done is fantastic + rep

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Awesome artwork and it really fits the characters.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Fantastic work!!!

+rep

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

I think you nailed Kaiser Heinrich Faust. The TO guy made me chuckle a bit. I cant take anyone with that kind of mustache seriously.

+rep

Now those are some fantastic drawings! +rep for sure!

I really like the Hochmeister, with the exception of his face. The mustache seems a little funky to me, perhaps a beard of some sorts. Well i dont know, your the artist not me.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

I love all of these, though I am saddened not to see glorious Caesar amongst the depicted... (I would rep you, but I must spread Caesar's blessings.)

Awesome stuff

+rep
    "Romans, Senators, friends. Latium is firmly under the rule of the Senate and People of Rome. The Latin people are now one. Not since noble Brutus drove out the last king have we known such a glorious day. But now my friends, in this our of glory we must be on our guard! To the south, treacherous Greeks and Samnites block our trade. Tarquinii grows beneath a tryrant's heel. That tyrant threatens Rome! Will we abandon Tarquinii? And now Barbarians raid from the North, burning and pillaging Roman lands. Shall we let dager fester and grow? Or will we at as Romans with courage and dignity? Remember we are the Sons of Mars! As Senate leader I call upon tribunes Gaius Julius and Decius Brutus to smash the Gauls and releave Tarquinii. All those in favor say I!

As there was a rollback yesterday that removed a couple of replies here, including mine, I'll just repeat: the Hochmeister will be revisited and his face will now feature a beard instead of moustache, some other TO characters (they'll appear in the full colour piece) will have either beards or be shaved.

@Torvus: don't fear! Those are the first sketches. The next batch of sketches and ideas (probably also seven of them) will feature Ceasar, although I must admit that I'm afraid if I'll be able to capture the splendour of the Constant Empire... I'll probably have to make a few different views, poses, faces.

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

I'm sure they will be great, jan.

These are really good, my favourite is Heinrich Faust and I look forwards to your next update. I have to spread some rep around first, but I'll give you some when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    I'll just repeat: the Hochmeister will be revisited and his face will now feature a beard instead of moustache...
    I really like the mustache. It makes him look gritty but distinguished.

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Excellent work,my favourites are Faust and Philippe de Meravangi...you gave him a very nice face eand expression. Waiting fot your other works. +rep

MrMikey's Avatar Foederatus

I love these portraits Jan_boruta, you clearly have a talent and I hope to see much more of this amazing work in the future mate.

Good drawings but I don't really like Avalon's King face to be true, clearly no offence intended
    Best M2TW mods :)

1st Place) Third Age
    2nd Place) THERA - Call of Warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by .:Zack Fair:. View Post
    Good drawings but I don't really like Avalon's King face to be true, clearly no offence intended
    I don't like it too, I'll change it as well as the face of the Teutonic Hochmeister.

Small announcement: the next batch of 7 portraits is well under way. 3 are already finished (in their refined-sketch form, no colours still), including the Ceasar himself. Though I'm already sure you won't like him

There are still 4 faction leaders to draw for this installment, but I'm not sure which ones should I pick at the moment. Could you help me a little bit?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

I'd love to see the Sycorax, the Men of Vahalla/Wotan, and the Uruks.

I'd like to see someone from either the Valhalla/Wotan or Paynal/Kukulkan/Sycorax factions to be done.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice! You know, all Thera really needs is 'polish', like you know the non-essential stuff like voices, city maps, campaign city models, stuff like that. The lore is already really good and it's projects like this that we need moar of
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Thanks for the feedback guys! In fact, you guessed my thoughts in 100% about whom I roughly planned to draw - so you just reassured me that I should draw those characters. And so here they are, the next seven leaders of Thera. The last seven are under development, with two of them done (although one needs to be re-done already). Please comment, praise or criticize, point out any errors or mistakes, and write your own suggestions! (I only forgot to scan the Hochmeister with beard and King Henry of Avalon with a new face, I'll update it the next time).

Mojag the Great Sycorax, with a trophy Faustian musket.

Votan the Great Kukulcan

Montezuma the Great Paynal

Tzar Dushan Kozlov

Kong Rothgaard Bluetooth

Alpha Cerberus at the battle of Demos

Gaius Romulus Caesar as the Supreme Commander of the Romuli Army

I hope you like them, but please, do comment and point out any inconsistencies or doubts, and I will likely amend them.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast