Thread: 2 questions

Default 2 questions

I want to play a really long long game, so i want to know

1) is it possible to continue to play even after the final year? (it is 1815 ? or 1820?)
    2) is there an index for research? so that i only need to change a number to make research even slower in general, without having to tweak each inventions speretaley?

Default Re: 2 questions

Quote Originally Posted by RaulGarcia View Post
    I want to play a really long long game, so i want to know

1) is it possible to continue to play even after the final year? (it is 1815 ? or 1820?)
    2) is there an index for research? so that i only need to change a number to make research even slower in general, without having to tweak each inventions speretaley?
    1. Yes

2. Change resarch_rate_mod in campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects to a minus value (like -10).

thank you, 2., does it effect only player, or also the whole world, speaking the AI?

edit: i can not find: Change resarch_rate_mod in campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects to a minus value (like -10). where i can change it?

edit: also one suggestion against this unit spamming and battle spamming. actually a war was not full of 100 big battles, a bigger war had maybe 1-3 battles a year, and then there was a decision. every battle was deceisive, when you lost your army, you could not just form a new army in a few weeks/months , only peasent armies maybe.

so, i would say, upkeep for armies should be very low, compared to costs for forming a new army, but forming a new army must be very expensive, AND must take much longer. you can not train a good line infantry within 1 1/2 month (3 rounds), actually to form a professional line infantry should have taken up to half a year at least. specialized super troops should take much longer, actually i think it is more important to significantly increase the training of a new unit. So we can avoid, that we destroy almost a whole army, and seeing it come back 5 rounds latter with full fresh stacks. it should be very important to keep your units alive and in case of need, retreat instead of fighting to death with a whole army and just forming a new one within 5 rounds (2 month, a full stack army, full of professional line infantry or better!!!) , in real you can not even learn riding a horse in a battle in just a few months!!! drilling, working in a row of 200 other people, and all the stuff like rules and drills need 6 month at least to be able to call an army professional, this would be 12 rounds!!!!! this would change the gameplay drastically. annhinilating an army or losing an whole army must hurt very much and for small countries it must be deceisive. whats your opnion? is there also an index in which i can overall increase the training time for all units and player and ai too, without editing every single unit?
    Last edited by RaulGarcia; July 01, 2011 at 07:56 PM.

thank you, 2., does it effect only player, or also the whole world, speaking the AI?

edit: i can not find: Change resarch_rate_mod in campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects to a minus value (like -10). where i can change it?

edit: also one suggestion against this unit spamming and battle spamming. actually a war was not full of 100 big battles, a bigger war had maybe 1-3 battles a year, and then there was a decision. every battle was deceisive, when you lost your army, you could not just form a new army in a few weeks/months , only peasent armies maybe.

so, i would say, upkeep for armies should be very low, compared to costs for forming a new army, but forming a new army must be very expensive, AND must take much longer. you can not train a good line infantry within 1 1/2 month (3 rounds), actually to form a professional line infantry should have taken up to half a year at least. specialized super troops should take much longer, actually i think it is more important to significantly increase the training of a new unit. So we can avoid, that we destroy almost a whole army, and seeing it come back 5 rounds latter with full fresh stacks. it should be very important to keep your units alive and in case of need, retreat instead of fighting to death with a whole army and just forming a new one within 5 rounds (2 month, a full stack army, full of professional line infantry or better!!!) , in real you can not even learn riding a horse in a battle in just a few months!!! drilling, working in a row of 200 other people, and all the stuff like rules and drills need 6 month at least to be able to call an army professional, this would be 12 rounds!!!!! this would change the gameplay drastically. annhinilating an army or losing an whole army must hurt very much and for small countries it must be deceisive. whats your opnion? is there also an index in which i can overall increase the training time for all units and player and ai too, without editing every single unit?
    All the relevant tables are in trom2_core. To increase the recruitment times you have to change the values in units_tables.

TW games are not simulations. It's also unrealistic that armies have only 20 units or battles end with the total annihilation of one side. A longer recruitment time would only favour the player and the game would be over quick.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; July 02, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

which program can i use to open and edit trom2_core ?

if i change the research rate as you said, will it effect only me or AI too?

You need to get the pack file manager. If you chanage all research_rate_mod entries in the campaign difficulty table it will effect both.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    You need to get the pack file manager. If you chanage all research_rate_mod entries in the campaign difficulty table it will effect both.
    can you give me a link to the pack file manager?

also, is there a single index, which a can change, so change the recruitment time for all units e.g. x3
    i dont want to edit every single unit.

Btw, you mod is awsome stuff, i like it, the best out there for me, i like EIC also, but in another way, , the only thing is, i dont know, why you made cannons so ineffective, actually they are not worth any slot at all in the army, i prefer tp make my stacks without a single artillery, because they hit nothing!!!

can you give me a link to the pack file manager?

also, is there a single index, which a can change, so change the recruitment time for all units e.g. x3
    i dont want to edit every single unit.

Btw, you mod is awsome stuff, i like it, the best out there for me, i like EIC also, but in another way, , the only thing is, i dont know, why you made cannons so ineffective, actually they are not worth any slot at all in the army, i prefer tp make my stacks without a single artillery, because they hit nothing!!!
    Just look in the modding section of the NTW forum. And no, there is no single value to do that.

Guns are killers at close range with canisters. Also, they have a strong moral effect. I usually have 3-4 pieces of artillery in my armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    Just look in the modding section of the NTW forum. And no, there is no single value to do that.

Guns are killers at close range with canisters. Also, they have a strong moral effect. I usually have 3-4 pieces of artillery in my armies.
    So, in your mode, the purpose of cannons is not killing enemy in a long range, when they march toward your defensive position? because this is what cannons are made for, not for close range fights.

So in your mode the purpose of cannons is to weaken their morale, while the are marching to my defensive line?

So, in your mode, the purpose of cannons is not killing enemy in a long range, when they march toward your defensive position? because this is what cannons are made for, not for close range fights.

So in your mode the purpose of cannons is to weaken their morale, while the are marching to my defensive line?
    Napoleonic guns weren't that effective at long range. Destroying an enemy just with long range gunfire was nearly impossible if the enmy wasn't totally exposed. What was devastating was cannister fire at close range.

In TROM2 guns will hit at long range and are especially usefull against cavalry, but you can't expect to stop an attack at long range. A 12pdr battery will cause 5%-10% casualities to a line infantry unit before it enters canister range, which is longer in TROM2 then vanilla.